2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 blower motor problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 blower motor problem

Got a 2012 ecoboost. Last night blower was blowing very hot air no problems. Put it in the garage, and today around noon started it to warm up and nothing from the blower. After it warmed up, i could feel some warm air, but couldnt hear the blower engaging...just alittle suttle noise. Suggestions?

Old 01-01-2018, 03:04 PM
We need to know more about your truck's trim package and HVAC system. Is it a simple 4 speed blower **** or do you have the dual zone climate control or?

Whatever it is, start by checking the fuses associated with the blower motor.

If it's the 4 speed motor, it is likely the blower motor resistor that has gone out. It happened to mine at about 45k miles.

As a $20 part, it's fairly easy to replace. It's located in front of the glove box.

Here is a Youtube video:

Old 01-01-2018, 10:02 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
It is IMPOSSIBLE for a blower resistor, assuming a manual climate control system (automatic systems do NOT have a resistor assembly), to knock out all four blower speeds. High speed always bypasses the resistor.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 01-01-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
It is IMPOSSIBLE for a blower resistor, assuming a manual climate control system (automatic systems do NOT have a resistor assembly), to knock out all four blower speeds. High speed always bypasses the resistor.
I should stand corrected since it was posted after me.

Based on the previous 2 posts in this thread, please provide your expert diagnosis.

For the money (no cost), it would be worth pulling the resistor and checking it with a multimeter.

This link says there is a chance of total failure:
http://www.samarins.com/glossary/blo...-resistor.html

As does this one:
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...motor-resistor

All I am saying is that it's possible; however, I wouldn't rule it out.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:39 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
please provide your expert diagnosis.
An expert diagnosis requires more data and actual work, not a Google search.0n

Both articles you cited are "click bait", intended to promote clicks through for an affiliate marketing program where the originator earns commissions based on any resulting sale. Hardly reliable or specific sources of information.

All I am saying is that it's possible; however, I wouldn't rule it out.
And I'm telling you that, if the OP has a manual system, the resistor can be ruled out since it isn't even in the circuit when the fan speed switch is in the HIGH position.

Unfortunately, dear Jon, the OP, was far too parsimonious with specifics for any actual diagnosis to be made and you recognized that in the first sentence of your original post. Until he returns (if ever) and provides relevant details, there is nothing useful that can be provided to him except to tell him this ain't twitter (there's no character limit) and that we aren't psychic (he has to TELL us what he has, we can't just guess).

Last edited by projectSHO89; 01-02-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012 blower motor problem