2009 - 2014 F-150

Ecoboost 3.5L longevity

Old 07-14-2017, 04:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sitting at 139,000 on my 2011 without problems. A friend traded his truck in at 240,000 and it still ran great. The turbo used on the EB in the F150 is one of the most common turbos on the market. They're pretty much bullet proof.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:56 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
How are the turbines going to be spinning without exhaust gasses going through them?
Inertia. They don't just suddenly stop when exhaust is shut off.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Inertia. They don't just suddenly stop when exhaust is shut off.
Umm no,
They're not going to spin for very long without exhaust gasses going through them. If what you're saying is true you could never turn the engine off without doing damage. Engine temperature has no bearing on how long they are going to spin after the engine is turned off, it's strictly based on how fast they were spinning.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
It's not just cooling - how are the turbos lubricated? If with engine oil, when you shut it off, you no longer have oil pressure.
Yup, when you shut off the truck, the oil drains from the turbos. The coolant system is designed so that it continues to allow coolant to circulate through the turbo after the engine is shut off. The turbo doesn't spin for very long after you shut off the truck, maybe 5-7 seconds (I just swapped my turbos for GT's and tested before adding the CAC piping).

Again, if I'm running the truck hard, towing or just pulled a grade, I let it idle before shutting it off. Normal putting around, the truck idles for a max of 30 seconds before I shut it off. The system is designed for reliability with regular use. The coolant circulates in the center section.

FYI, when you pull a turbo off a Eco you don't get more than a drop from the oil port.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:29 PM
^^^ What GTs are you running? From a Ford GT or Honeywell GT series?

The oil is designed to flow from the crankcase through the turbo and back into the pan. The coolant is the same. Ford was actually pretty slick on this and uses gravity and steam to cool them down inside of after run pumps like a lot of other cars use. The nice thing about gravity is it always works and never wears out.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
^^^ What GTs are you running? From a Ford GT or Honeywell GT series?

The oil is designed to flow from the crankcase through the turbo and back into the pan. The coolant is the same. Ford was actually pretty slick on this and uses gravity and steam to cool them down inside of after run pumps like a lot of other cars use. The nice thing about gravity is it always works and never wears out.
Running the Ford Borg Warner GT's. Very happy with them so far! OEM reliability with the power really bumped up into the RPM range that I'm looking for. Hope to hit the Dyno in the next couple of weeks for updated numbers.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:26 AM
I have 212k on my 2011 EB. i just change oil at 5k and plugs at 50k, no other issues.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am having the passenger side turbo and exhaust manifold replaced right now (93k on odometer)... I'm glad I bought the Ford Premium care. Stuff breaks. *shrug*

Search this Thread