2009 - 2014 F-150

Rubbing/seizing noise in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rubbing/seizing noise in reverse

I have a 2009 fx4, 85,000 miles. When I put it in reverse and start to go back a rubbing/grinding/seizing type noise is being made. It sounds like it's coming from underneath towards the back. Once I hit the breaks it goes away then continues a few feet later. It's even worse when I'm reversing up a hill or backing up a trailor. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-26-2015, 10:31 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I'd suspect a problem with your rear brakes or parking brake, possibly a u-joint.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:57 AM
The arms that move the inner brake shoes seize. Put truck on a small hill, put emergency brake on when rolling. Now release it and see if you roll, if not, shoes are locking up! Has to completely come apart, take the arm out and spray it w/ blaster or alike product, free it up and lube with never-seize compound, reinstall everything.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by glc
I'd suspect a problem with your rear brakes or parking brake, possibly a u-joint.
I took at look at the rear brakes and they do look low. I will replace those and go from there. Thanks.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by RevBiker
The arms that move the inner brake shoes seize. Put truck on a small hill, put emergency brake on when rolling. Now release it and see if you roll, if not, shoes are locking up! Has to completely come apart, take the arm out and spray it w/ blaster or alike product, free it up and lube with never-seize compound, reinstall everything.
I will give this a try tomorrow. Thanks

Old 05-29-2015, 09:45 AM
If the emergency brakes are not locking up and truck rolls freely,then as glc said look at the u-joints.

Quick Reply: Rubbing/seizing noise in reverse