2009 - 2014 F-150

'09 Supercrew rear door won't open

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 Supercrew rear door won't open

The driver rear door on my '09 Supercrew won't open from the inside or outside. The child lock was engaged at the time this occurred, and from poking around other threads this was an issue on the '09's.
I've managed to remove the interior panel from the inside (a pain in the butt) and can see the lock freely moving up and down, and the cable to the inside door handle pulls while I can visualize the mechanism on the outer handle moving as well, pulling the rod.

What's my next course of action to get the door opening?
The other thread I found regarding a similar issue the man ended up cutting through the sheet metal and destroying the lock attenuator to get the door open.
I would love to not get that drastic.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tough call. I have had to replace 2 actuators on the passenger rear and one on the drivers rear (supercrew) due to dust plugging up the locking mechanism.

After replacing 2 of them myself, I can't supply an easy way to get that thing opened up since I completely tore one bad one apart to see how they work. If I were in your shoes and had the rear panel off, I would likely get serious with a cut off tool and cut the actuator apart to get to the release. Order a new part and an updated striker ($136 from Dealer) and get it replaced I guess.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:02 PM
WoodsTruck:
Thanks for the reply.

Any advice on getting to the actuator? That's unfamiliar territory for me, and all the videos I've seen posted about it are shown assuming the door is open.

I'm at a huge disadvantage because the door is closed.
How did you go about it?

Old 05-11-2015, 03:37 PM
Still having the issue. Any advice from anyone?

Old 05-12-2015, 12:01 AM
Take it to a professional

Old 05-12-2015, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by Hereford F150
Take it to a professional
Thanks, jackass.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm at a loss unless you can get to the black box and tap it while wiggling the locking rod. It would sound to me like it is still locked so you can't open it from the outside.

Trending Topics

Old 05-13-2015, 09:45 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Unless you've installed Jimmi Jammers, you could probably probe through the door handle assembly with a screwdriver or wire and trigger the release. I think this could possibly damage the door handle assembly, but it can be replaced.

The process is talked about in this web page, near the bottom, for the rear doors: http://www.trucksecurity.com/JJ%20F150detail.html

Maybe, if you pulled the door handle out and looked with a flashlight, you could see how to do it (and learn a valuable truck break in technique in the process).

- Jack

Old 06-12-2015, 07:30 AM
If you find a solution to your problem, please let me know as well. I've given up at this point, I've had the same issue for going on a year now. Seems silly loading my kids or passengers in through the passenger side on a crew cab.
I have had the door panel off like you said, but I don't want to cut away at the sheet metal. Good luck, I know I didn't have any.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet

Maybe, if you pulled the door handle out and looked with a flashlight, you could see how to do it (and learn a valuable truck break in technique in the process).

- Jack
Without the door being open you will cause serious damage to the door and the handle trying to take out the handle.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:01 PM
09 Super Crew Cab Back Door Won't Unlock

After setting the Child Safety Lock inside the door jam, the lock mechanism failed to work and I was unable to operate/open the door. Now I've been all over the internet trying to find an easy fix for the rear door not opening because the lock would not release no matter what. After removing the rear door panel, really hard to do as the 2 lower screws are next to impossible to get to. The latch is sealed and all the rods, cables were working as should. So it was decided to "wreck out" the latch. After breaking into 3 pieces using a pry bar and slidehammer the door released (unlocked). I'm not able to restore or lock the door but have turned the Child Safety switch to neutral and able to operate the door from inside and outside. I will order a new latch assembly and not use the Child Safety lock again. An after thought is FORD should know better to leave these faulty locks out there and not recall a bad design, this could be a major safety issue in an accident.
Hope this helps anyone in the same situation, as I'm sure the dealer will do the same thing and charge at least 2hrs. plus parts.
Retired Body Shop Owner/Operator.

Quick Reply: '09 Supercrew rear door won't open