2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Why do we drive Fords?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
In the past, the Fords I've owned have been the most reliable of any vehicles I've owned. Simple. With the new ones getting more and more complex, time will tell if they are still as reliable.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As fate would have it, my oldest son has predominantly gone Chevy. Through this process, and through driving the trucks of several friends, I have asked myself why and how anyone actually thinks that GM rides or handles better, or are even quicker.

I can't stand how little low end torque the typical GM has. I can't like the way a sw V8 GM has to down shift on a medium hill running 75 mph empty, when even the heavily loaded 3.0 Aerostar(business vehicle just sold at 248,000 miles) can maintain its speed in overdrive.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hereford F150
As fate would have it, my oldest son has predominantly gone Chevy. Through this process, and through driving the trucks of several friends, I have asked myself why and how anyone actually thinks that GM rides or handles better, or are even quicker.

I can't stand how little low end torque the typical GM has. I can't like the way a sw V8 GM has to down shift on a medium hill running 75 mph empty, when even the heavily loaded 3.0 Aerostar(business vehicle just sold at 248,000 miles) can maintain its speed in overdrive.
A buddy just got a 11 Silverado 5.3 a couple weeks ago.. He drove his F150 from my house to his and i drove the Silverado. It was a gutless pig and talk about throttle delay, that truck was the worse i have ever driven.. It literally took 2 or 3 seconds to go from 4cyl mode to v8 mode and start accelerating. His 02 f150 with 160k rides better and is just as quite as the Chevy with 70k miles.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:40 PM
I drive a lot of trucks through the work fleet and yes they all tend to have their problems. I picked ford for the simple fact it fit my likings the best. to me the GM"S are nice but don't hold up to stress.( again this is how I feel) dodges seem to be lacking in the comfort department. as for the Toyotas I love the old SR5 I had with the 2200RE under its hood but there not much in the way of load handling or stability with a 1200 LBS full dress electric glide in its bed. again its just how I feel and what brought me to ford.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I drive Fords as I'm kind of brand loyal. Plus I have relatives who owned some of the General Mistake brands and had many problems with said vehicles. I haven't had that many issues with most of my Fords over the years. My current Ford is the one I owned the longest and put the most miles on. Some of the issues are related to age and miles but it still gets me to and from work with 176200+ miles and counting.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:20 AM
Ford's engineering is better than the other big two imo. atleast on trucks, some of the small cars have poor engineering at least they did in the mid 2000s. I swear some of the small cars must have mazda help them engineer things. The design is just poor, cheap, and not well thought out. Something similar to GM.

GMs engineering is poor on somethings. Dexcool, 3800 intakes and elbows, Things that are cheaply pressed together to make a seal. Things u have to "rig" to correctly finish a repair with rtv. Not quite sure on anything mid 2000s and newer. I still kinda like the old vortec 350 trucks. Don't tell no one. Everything else around it sucks.

Last edited by Need4racin; 03-14-2015 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:02 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

^^^ I can't be mad at the ol' Vortecs either. There are about half a dozen sales reps who call on me at work who have them, and I'd say the average mileage on the original engine is about 300k. Granted, it's about 90% highway, but still.... Not bad.

I can't say the same for the transmissions on them, though. Each of them are on at least the second transmission.

I can't give 'em points fer pahr, though. They woon't pull a greasy strang outta cat's ayss.

Last edited by DewserB; 03-14-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:55 AM
My first cars were an Olds and a '78 Bronco. I built an Olds race car, and drove the Bronco...LOVED it. Broke the transfer case playing with it in the woods, and all my $$ was going into other things. Biggest automotive regret ever, I sold that Bronco in 1996 with 380K on the odometer. They guy that bought it from me drove it back and forth to GEORGIA from PA twice a month for 5 years before he had to put a new rear end in it. He's STILL driving it! And REFUSES to sell it LOL. As you can see I've had many Fords since, but only one Bronco, which had been horribly abused before I bought, and I was never able to get it quite to my liking. I've owned GM, Jeep, and Chrysler vehicles over the years, and all seemed cheaply made compared to the Fords. I doubt I'd ever buy anything but a Ford, but if I did, it would be a Tundra. My brother had one and I liked it a lot, unfortunately it was just totaled.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:38 PM
I have a funny story. My family is about 50% Ford, 50% Chevy. Most of my friends are Chevy. Me and one of my Ford friends were sitting on my tailgate talking to one of my Chevy friends one afternoon. Here comes another Chevy guy that I had never met riding up in a mid-90's S10. Of course the first thing he said was "Get that Ford out of here!" We laughed and made a few jokes about Chevy and moved on. Later in the conversation the guy in the S10 was like "This has been the best truck I've ever had." So I start asking the questions because I like hearing the details why someone says that. First I ask how many miles the truck has on it, and he responds 210,000. Pretty respectable. Then he responds (and I can't make this up) "I've had a new engine, 2 transmissions, and a rear end all replaced." Then I thought to myself (knock on wood) I've never had to replace anything major in all the Ford's I've owned. How could that be considered "The best truck ever"? GM people think weird.

After my 2011 F-150, I was really considering a different brand. I'm a Ford fan all the way, but my 11 was not a very good truck. So many little problems and a couple big ones that the dealership either said "not an issue" or pretty much "live with it." Then I found my 2014 FX4. On trade I pretty much got back what I paid for the '11, and the '14 is what I believe a Ford truck to be.

I love my F-150.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:04 PM
The Ranger was a superior truck to the S10 in about every category you can think of, starting with fit and finish. S10s were rattle traps in my book.
Once there was some wear in the trannys, you had to nearly bang your hand on something to get into first gear with the stick.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm fairly new to Ford, having been an owner since '07. I bought a 2004 F150 as my first, because it was a far more capable truck than anything else in my price range at the time, and I was coming from a GM that was riddled with electrical gremlins. It treated me fairly well, only a couple minor issues.

I then purchased my first ever brand new vehicle, '11 F150 Ecoboost. While I've been relatively trouble free with it, there have been some minor issues with it as well, but dealing with Ford's warranty service has proven to be a giant PITA, and I will likely be shopping at other brands next time around. I'm not ruling Ford out, but they're not getting any brand loyalty anymore from me.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:31 AM
I grew up in a Chevy family. After several Chevy's and three Dodge diesels, I am trying a F150. I think the Ford f150 is the best total package available in the 1/2 ton segment.the whole government bailout also made me respect Ford on a whole different level. I love my F 150 and plan on buying another after this one wears out.there's just something about driving my F 150 that feels right, I put 600 thousand on several Dodge trucks with the Cummins diesel and they were great. But, speaking in terms of the total package, Ford offers a more polished and dependable package.

Last edited by jackscrew; 04-15-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My uncle owned nothing but chevy trucks until 95 when he bought a new ram 1500. That truck was ok, but it had several minor problems over the years. He also had a 98 ram 2500 4x4 and that truck was like driving an old twin stick mack, pain in the rear to drive. Always had the death wobble, replaced tires, replaced the entire front suspension, replaced wheels, but the death wobble was always still there. He now has an 05 ram 1500 with the daytona package and the hemi. The interior on the 05 reminds me of what ford was doing 30 years ago, pretty sad that they can't make an modern interior. The only problem he's had with the 05 is it keeps breaking sway bar end links. But everytime he sees my truck he says he wishes he would have bought a ford, he just loves the interior, even my 07 he liked.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:49 AM
I Drive a Ford for many of the reasons already listed; my father has always been a Ford man, reliability of past Fords etc.

GM cost the U.S. taxpayers over 10 billion dollars, a couple billion more spent on Chrysler. For that reason alone I will likely never consider a vehicle from either.

Regardless of where the vehicle is built I will never have a vehicle with a Japanese name in my garage.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:17 PM
Not brand loyal at all, but I research like crazy! That's why I bought my current '02, and why my next truck will be an F150. I just think Ford has the best truck, most reliable. Y'all should read the Tundra and GM forums! Especially Tundra. Toyota left the quality, reliability out of many Tundras.

Quick Reply: Why do we drive Fords?