Sponsored by: DashLynx

Well I gone and done it....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gorgeous looking truck.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats good looking truck, who wouldn't want the 6.7? lol Its a big truck should get better mpg with PSD. A few people I know that have the 6.7 like it, quiet and tons of power. Now pulling that camper should be a breeze and a lot more safe than the f150.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:53 PM
It's definitely a monster for sure. I am seeing better mileage, but I need to get some long highway runs in to see exactly for sure. Lots of 25-30mph wind days here recently, so its hard to get accurate reads.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by prime81
Two things... when towing with the EB it's better to use Premium, and the manual even states this. Diesel is only 5-8 cents higher than premium on average, sometimes diesel is cheaper than premium depending where you go.

I don't know what the average mileage for a 6.2L is, but they are strong motors from what I understand. Same driving habits and routes previously in the EB and I'm able to get better mileage in the 6.7L PSD. But the flip side is truck costs more up front.

Here's the thing. I am going through the process that will end up with me buying a F350 SuperCab SRW short bed. I have done the research, and I have owned dozens of Ford trucks in my lifetime. I used to own a construction company and had a fleet of F150's and Super Duty's.

I dont know how much driving you do, but reading some comments, I get the impression that you dont do a ton of driving and flip over vehicles frequently. If that is the case, you will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER recoup your investment in the diesel. NEVER. The diesel is an $8500 option, and they dont deal on the diesel trucks because they are in high demand. $8500 + the price of diesel per gallon ($1 more/gallon) will require you to keep the truck for 7-8 years before you recoup the investment. And that is assuming nothing breaks on the engine. Because if it does, it will cost 5x to fix vs the gas motor. And your statement about premium gas does not apply to the 6.2, so I think that's a moot point.

I keep my trucks a long time, and haul a slide-in camper, that's why I need a 1 ton truck. In my case I actually GAIN payload by equipping the truck with the gas motor because the diesel is much heavier. And that is important because of the slide-in I need payload capacity. The diesel would get better gas mileage but I would be over GVWR with my camper. My current truck is a 2002 F350 dually with the 7.3, one of my former fleet trucks. I dont want the DRW on the new truck, so I am going to go with the gas motor. It's a wash.

I will say this, the maintenance on the 6.7L is very easy to do, everything from oil to fuel filters is extremely efficient and easy to get to.
Just as easy on the gas motor... but when I change my oil, it's going to cost me half as much as you...

Old 04-28-2014, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by crazynip
Here's the thing. I am going through the process that will end up with me buying a F350 SuperCab SRW short bed. I have done the research, and I have owned dozens of Ford trucks in my lifetime. I used to own a construction company and had a fleet of F150's and Super Duty's.

I dont know how much driving you do, but reading some comments, I get the impression that you dont do a ton of driving and flip over vehicles frequently. If that is the case, you will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER recoup your investment in the diesel. NEVER. The diesel is an $8500 option, and they dont deal on the diesel trucks because they are in high demand. $8500 + the price of diesel per gallon ($1 more/gallon) will require you to keep the truck for 7-8 years before you recoup the investment. And that is assuming nothing breaks on the engine. Because if it does, it will cost 5x to fix vs the gas motor. And your statement about premium gas does not apply to the 6.2, so I think that's a moot point.

I keep my trucks a long time, and haul a slide-in camper, that's why I need a 1 ton truck. In my case I actually GAIN payload by equipping the truck with the gas motor because the diesel is much heavier. And that is important because of the slide-in I need payload capacity. The diesel would get better gas mileage but I would be over GVWR with my camper. My current truck is a 2002 F350 dually with the 7.3, one of my former fleet trucks. I dont want the DRW on the new truck, so I am going to go with the gas motor. It's a wash.

Just as easy on the gas motor... but when I change my oil, it's going to cost me half as much as you...
Ahhhh $65 oil isnt bad Rotella T6.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:45 PM
I have gone through a few trucks the last few years, but it is definitely not the normal. We've just gone from not needing to tow anything, to towing fifth wheels that surpass half ton capabilities. I got 11.5k off the sticker of the F250, most likely due to the dealer and the fact that it's a 2014 and the 15's are already showing up. There are deals out there to be had. In reality, it would take 100-120k miles of towing to recoup the cost of the diesel. I don't tow that much, so recouping the cost for mileage increases was never the reason for the upgrade to the F250, it was for safety and longevity reasons. I'm not sure if Ford recommends premium while towing heavy with the 6.2L, didn't look at it. My statement about premium was aimed at the EB I previously had.

Short of you moving up to an f450 for the payload, there isn't much you can do. I think the weight difference is what 150-200lbs? between the 6.2 and 6.7PSD. The problem is, once you go into those heavier trucks, it can cost more to insure, more to register, and your required to stop at all weigh stations.

Last edited by prime81; 05-02-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can afford the diesel for towing, then by all means, do it! It is so much easier towing with the diesel. I've just got the 6.4L, but towing our fifth wheel is truly relaxing compared to our previous trailer with my gasser.

Now, if you are doing it to save money on fuel, it's not worth it. And hey, it doesn't sound like that was prime81's plan, so it's all good.

Quick Reply: Well I gone and done it....