2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What is causing this noise? Spark knock - help please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
any loss of power?
None.

Dealer is a GOOD dealer and they have best tech on it. Tech is waiting for info from Ford hotline.

Ford (not dealer) called me out of the blue and assured me they "they" were on it. Said they would figure out problem - then out of blue they gave me a 7 year premium extended warranty - FREE! That was really cool.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by BillR
I doubt I have bad gas. This has happened on 2 different times (only 2 times it has been warm here recently) and 2 different batches of gas from different stations - this first batch was higher octane.

When this noise happens - the pinging/knocking sound is unrelentless until I back off throttle. It never happened last summer!
Needless to say - this SHOULD NOT happen.

Kinda disappointed in these new Ford motors - I got this 5.0 because of the issues I was having with the Ecoboost. How are the 6.7 diesels??
Hey hey hey leave the 6.2 out of this : ) And "these" new Ford engines are wicked!!

Old 04-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
It could be that your tune is a little more aggressive than normal. Just run some premium in it and see what happens.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by Roadie
It could be that your tune is a little more aggressive than normal. Just run some premium in it and see what happens.
I have. Doesn't have any effect.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi Bill;

Refer to this thread below - specifically post #8. Any similarities? If so, the thread purty much describes yer solution. And this is clearly an issue Ford is aware of as it is not uncommon, (but perhaps not at the Dealer level for every Dealer - yet).

If so, yer engine should be in the middle of that teardown shown below. I reckon Ford is being stingy with their supply of 5.0 shortblocks. On backorder, perhaps? I'd start pushing back.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ime-lapse.html

Another good read from an individual who knows a thing or three: https://www.f150online.com/forums/5048803-post19.html

Read through the entire thread that post was excerpted from as well.

Take these to yer dealer and see what they say (and watch the looks on their faces, lol).

Good luck
MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 04-07-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Quick Reply: What is causing this noise? Spark knock - help please!