2009 - 2014 F-150

Steering wheel slightly off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel slightly off?

Just picked up a nice brand new '13 supercrew XTR and love it. My one concern is that fresh off the lot, the steering wheel seems to be just a hair crooked to the left when the vehicle is tracking straight. It's a small amount, but enough to bug me. I took it back to the dealer for its first oil change (at 1400km) and had them do an alignment. After getting the truck back, it seems like there is no change from before.

From what I understand, these trucks have an electric power steering system, correct? Is there any denying that the steering wheel should be perfectly straight or am I being too particular?

Old 01-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Can you quantify it with a picture or in some sort of units (degrees, radians, etc...) The reason being, my co-worker mentioned the same thing, and his was WAY WAY off. Like 15° off. He described it as 'a bit off'.

Looking at my truck, going down a straight road, hands off the wheel (closed course, professional driver) my wheel is within 2-3° of 'straight' at any given moment.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:17 PM
I would estimate mine to be in the <5 degrees range. If I put my index fingers in the corners at 10 and 2 o'clock and compare their level, one would sit on top of the other.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:12 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You sure it's not just road crown or wind doing it?

Old 01-07-2014, 10:53 PM
Instead of telling the dealer you need an alignment, ask them to fix the problem.

The wheel alignment procedure does not zero the steering orientation.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:03 PM
I brought it back today and went for a ride with the Service Manager and he agreed that something is a bit off. It's going back on Monday for a second, and hopefully final, fix.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by OnBelay
Instead of telling the dealer you need an alignment, ask them to fix the problem.

Going to have to disagree. The steering wheel should be straight. However alignments don't guarantee the vehicle won't pull. The purpose of an alignment is to minimize tire wear.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Yes, when an alignment is performed, the first thing they should do is make sure the steering wheel is oriented in the straight ahead position.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:12 PM
owned a 2010, 2012 and 2013 f150 and the steering wheels are always 5 deg off. Crown in the road easily throws it off either direction . Always pretty tracks strait tho.
The feel of these trucks are different.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:51 PM
I agree the feel is different. I attribute that to the new Electric Power Steering which is a new thing for me. That being said, I still firmly believe that the steering wheel should be perfectly straight no matter what the system is, and the fact that it came back to me EXACTLY the way it was before makes me think that the work may have not been done, or the problem not communicated properly to the alignment tech. I will have an answer by Monday.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
Going to have to disagree. The steering wheel should be straight. However alignments don't guarantee the vehicle won't pull. The purpose of an alignment is to minimize tire wear.
You can disagree all you want and you will still be incorrect. I didn't say the steering wheel shouldn't be straight.

The position of the steering wheel has nothing to do with the alignment of the suspension components. The steering column can be completely disconnected from the steering rack. The steering wheel can be completely disconnected from the steering column. All of these connections are completed by joined a splined shaft to a knuckle. The steering wheel can point in any of the 360 degrees in it's axis and have absolutely no effect on the alignment of the suspension.

Additionally, the alignment can be dead nuts on spec and the vehicle may still pull due to tire condition and inflation pressure, a brake condition, weight load in a vehicle, road condition, or any hundred other reasons.

The alignment process may place the steering wheel in a position that is not "straight". One of the final procedures in completing an alignment process is to check steering wheel position, and if necessary, disconnect the steering shaft from the rack, turn the wheel to the "straight" position, then reattach the shaft.

Many technicians will skip this step because it is rarely needed to be performed, and takes additional time to do. When I said

I was referring to this exact problem: The alignment may be correct, but the steering wheel needs to be straightened. Two different things.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
Yes, when an alignment is performed, the first thing they should do is make sure the steering wheel is oriented in the straight ahead position.
Actually, the LAST thing they should do is "make sure the steering wheel is oriented in the straight ahead position".

And this is because in changing toe on the front suspension as part of the alignment process, the steering wheel angle can (and usually will) change.

If they set this first, as you suggest, they would have to redo it when they finish the other parts of the alignment process.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:40 PM
mine was off to the right a hair, I knew the dealer would tell me it's with in factory specs....blah blah blah, took it to a local alignment shop I trust and they check it said it was just a bit off when wheel was straight. They got it set and mine steering wheel is now straight when going straight. Now if I am on a road that has a large crown to it then well it's off a little. Alignment shop told me that get new trucks in all the time same issue.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Update: had the truck in for its 2nd alignment at the same dealer, and it is now fixed properly. The service manager took it for a drive after the work was completed to ensure it was correct. I'm happy that it's fixed but slightly annoyed that it took two attempts and two full days without my truck to get it corrected.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by SkyBound85
Update: had the truck in for its 2nd alignment at the same dealer, and it is now fixed properly. The service manager took it for a drive after the work was completed to ensure it was correct. I'm happy that it's fixed but slightly annoyed that it took two attempts and two full days without my truck to get it corrected.
That would be a very good thing to remember next time you need some work done. Work on a vehicle doesn't get much more basic than doing a proper alignment.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel slightly off?