2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The Dreaded Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Dreaded Extended Warranty

So yes, I hate the sales pitch on extended warranties. It seems so silly. Yet, I just traded my 2010 F150 (w/70k) for a 2013 F150 and have some reasons I am thinking about it.

One, I had a couple exhaust gaskets go bad on my prior F150, post-warranty. That was $1,000. Also, the heated seat warmers stopped working, along with the retractable rail on the drivers side not functioning properly. I was waiting to get them fixed, but a motor on the rail is around $800, not counting labor. Not sure on the heated seat costs, but you get my point. Part of why I traded in the truck was to reset my warranty on a new one, and not put more money into my prior one, without a warranty.

So while I hate the extended warranties, these F150's have some nice bells and whistles on them, that I'm not completely sold are fool-proof from failure.

What do you guys think? Is a 5yr/100k warranty worth $1650?

Thanks.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:17 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I believe you can wait and buy the extended warranty later. If so, I'd wait and see whether you have a good truck or troublesome truck.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kraftomatic
So yes, I hate the sales pitch on extended warranties. It seems so silly. Yet, I just traded my 2010 F150 (w/70k) for a 2013 F150 and have some reasons I am thinking about it.

One, I had a couple exhaust gaskets go bad on my prior F150, post-warranty. That was $1,000. Also, the heated seat warmers stopped working, along with the retractable rail on the drivers side not functioning properly. I was waiting to get them fixed, but a motor on the rail is around $800, not counting labor. Not sure on the heated seat costs, but you get my point. Part of why I traded in the truck was to reset my warranty on a new one, and not put more money into my prior one, without a warranty.

So while I hate the extended warranties, these F150's have some nice bells and whistles on them, that I'm not completely sold are fool-proof from failure.

What do you guys think? Is a 5yr/100k warranty worth $1650?

Thanks.
i got 5 year 75k for $815.00 from
http://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/default.aspx
but that was when they were running a special promotion code. if its the right price id say go for it.
GLC is right you can add the extended warranty anytime before the 36,000 miles. They give you a little discount if you buy the warranty before you get to 12,000 miles

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 12-11-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Keep hearing of all the Corrupt Extended warranty Companies. With FFF ratings.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by papa tiger
Keep hearing of all the Corrupt Extended warranty Companies. With FFF ratings.
That is other companies, not Fords extended warranty. Those are the best by far and really the only one to purchase if you are going to get one.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
That is other companies, not Fords extended warranty. Those are the best by far and really the only one to purchase if you are going to get one.
x2

Old 12-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Thanks guys. Yes it would be Ford's Premium Care. Basically the same thing the 3/36k covers.

Thanks for the feedback. Curious on the cost being legit more than anything. I'll check that link you sent Coy, thanks.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by kraftomatic
Thanks guys. Yes it would be Ford's Premium Care. Basically the same thing the 3/36k covers.

Thanks for the feedback. Curious on the cost being legit more than anything. I'll check that link you sent Coy, thanks.
I actually Called Bob Cline at Zeigler Ford. Top notch guy. After i got off the phone with him i didnt have any worries. Ive even been told he can beat the price thats on the website. Good Luck!

Old 12-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Go to http://www.zeiglerfordesp.com

Use Discount Code GREGH

I just got a 7yr/100K $0 Deductable for $1450.00

Old 12-11-2013, 05:05 PM
If you're getting it from your dealer because you want to finance it with the truck, get the employee discount.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the extended warranty on mine and my torque converter went

Glad I paid for the warranty because that would have been a pretty penny

Old 12-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by dlmx
Go to http://www.zeiglerfordesp.com

Use Discount Code GREGH

I just got a 7yr/100K $0 Deductable for $1450.00
Thats the code i used a few months ago, are they still doing it? The code was worth like 200 off when i used it.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Suspended
Let's think about it: When you sell a warranty how do you make money? Well, the average repair bill is less than the cost of the warranty? I do most of my own work anyhow and I take care of my truck. Therefore I am gambling, with the odds in my favor, that the warranty is going to cost more than my repairs and I don't want to pay for the cost or "possible repairs" before they happen. Not to start anything, but warranties that you pay extra for are wasted money. The rule of thumb for this insurance is to pay fifty cents on the dollar. The rest goes to commissions and admin. DON'T DO IT.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Get the Ford Premium care from the reps listed on this forum, unless your selling dealer will match. I got the 7yr/100k plan just before my warranty expired in April and it's already paid for itself.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RexReid
Let's think about it: When you sell a warranty how do you make money? Well, the average repair bill is less than the cost of the warranty? I do most of my own work anyhow and I take care of my truck. Therefore I am gambling, with the odds in my favor, that the warranty is going to cost more than my repairs and I don't want to pay for the cost or "possible repairs" before they happen. Not to start anything, but warranties that you pay extra for are wasted money. The rule of thumb for this insurance is to pay fifty cents on the dollar. The rest goes to commissions and admin. DON'T DO IT.
Extended warranty is well worth it to me. On my 09, it has already paid out far more than it's cost, with just one repair. A seized AC compressor that put all kind of junk into the line. They had to replace large portions of the AC system including the compressor, dryer, orifice, and condensor. Just the compressor is close to the cost I paid for warranty. It also paid for the vehicle I was given until the repair was finished.
Also if you trade or sell the vehicle before the warranty is up, you can get the unused portion of the warranty cost back. When I traded my 07 in for the 09, I got back over $600.
This was also not the first time I have needed the extended warranty on a vehicle. It only takes one repair to make the warranty well worth it.
It is nothing but insurance. Would you go without auto, home, or health insurance just because you may not use it.

Quick Reply: The Dreaded Extended Warranty