2009 - 2014 F-150

toolbox ideas for King Ranch with adobe trim

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toolbox ideas for King Ranch with adobe trim

My kodiak brown metallic has the adobe bed rail caps. What do you use for a toolbox that looks good?
I don't think an aluminum or black treadplate box sitting on the bed rails would look very good. It costs too much to have a box Line Xed in adobe.

I currently have a 48" aluminum chest in the bed. Anybody make a wider chest that fits the contours of the truck bed?

Post pixs if you got em

Old 12-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
What do you use for a toolbox that looks good?
I don't think an aluminum or black treadplate box sitting on the bed rails would look very good.
You should consider a tool box that sits under the rails and can be hidden underneath a tonneau cover. I like this TonneauMate box by Truxedo.

http://www.truxedo.com/tonneau_mate/land.php

Last edited by Rambo; 12-01-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Why don't you just get an aluminum box and paint it with plasti-dip. It comes in several colors and is more durable than regular paint. The stuff runs about 8 bucks a can, three cans would be more than enough to do a tool box.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/

Old 12-02-2013, 07:43 AM
Toolbox looks good but if it's plastic it's not very secure.

Plastidip doesn't make a color to match the adobe- they have a gold that might work but I would have to see it

Thanks

Old 12-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Google Weather Guard, or Knaac. They probably won't have a color for you, but they have tons of quality boxes.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:32 PM
The big tool boxes that are on the outside and mounted over the rails are less secure because they are out in the open and anyone can come along and "work" on them. If the box fits "under" a tonneau cover it will be super-secure and nobody will know it is there. This one is supposed to be made from super tough plastic with an aluminum frame.

Negatives: the cost because you would need to buy a tonneau cover which could be a good thing and provide more security for everything else in the bed.

Positives: out of view from thieves, super-secure for the toolbox and everything else in the bed could be locked up, super durable, holds a lot of stuff but doesn't take up a lot of the truck bed - gives you full access to the floor, and best looking because it would be hidden.

edit: It is also lockable with a key.

Last edited by Rambo; 12-02-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:02 PM
This is exactly what you need. Truxedo Duece and a Truxedo TonneauMate. Fits in between the bed walls and is secured both in the front locks and at the tailgate lock. And it looks great.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Love the TonneauMate

It isn't heavy-duty (200 pounds, plenty for my needs) and the lock can easily be compromised. Still, a solid unit that requires no drilling to install and can be easily removed when needed. If you need something under the rails, is very functional, and looks great ... it's the one. Darned near water-tight. Rear hinge is full length. Good gas lifter on it, too. Excellent piece of equipment.

Name:  TonneauMate4_zpsb4707dec.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  394.3 KB

Name:  TonneauMate5_zps20107c73.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  391.8 KB

Quick Reply: toolbox ideas for King Ranch with adobe trim