2009 - 2014 F-150

2013 4x4, e-locker, auto 4x4 options (I've RTFM)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 4x4, e-locker, auto 4x4 options (I've RTFM)

Just moved from a 2007 F150 to a 2013. Still playing with all the options but I have to get used to the 4x4 options most of all. I have gone from a 3.73LS 4x4 to a 2013 Open e-locker auto 4x4 truck. I have read the manual about everything but want to ask the members what they think. Where I live we get decent amount of snow but more ice and cold cold cold conditions. I really have three points I want to get clarity on:

- The auto 4x4, it says you are OK to drive all the time but what is it really doing? I think front and rear are open diff, so really worst case you are going to get one rear and one front locked, but I read that we have a 'high capacity' clutch. So besides keeping the driveline engaged (fuel economy loss) there shouldnt be issues right?

- It also says you can run the e-locker as it automatically disengages under certain conditions (25mph +, etc) so if you are running it in bad weather you could leave it electronically engaged without issue as the computer would pull it once you start to drive around.

- Last is the e-locker combined with 4x4 or even auto 4x4? Good, bad, indifferent?

Really I guess it comes down to this. Reading the manual they almost make it seem that the computer KNOWS what is correct. You could leave it in pretty much any setting and it will engage/dis-engage as needed. I am just not sure I am ready to believe that. Haha

Old 12-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Nobody hey. We had a good snow storm so I have been running around in 4Hi with it engaged and it disengages/re-engages smoothly. Now the Auto-4Hi. That is a different story. Doesnt sound too happy sometimes, especially when I get into deep snow.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:23 PM
I'm not a fan of leaving an e-locker engaged for normal around town driving, even in snow. Cornering becomes a lot more challenging, especially in changing traction conditions.

Even in deeper snow, I found the e-locker to provide little to no help for traction. The trucks traction control does a great job on its own.

Can't comment on auto 4x4 since I have an FX4.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by ajsturtz
I'm not a fan of leaving an e-locker engaged for normal around town driving, even in snow. Cornering becomes a lot more challenging, especially in changing traction conditions.

Even in deeper snow, I found the e-locker to provide little to no help for traction. The trucks traction control does a great job on its own.

Can't comment on auto 4x4 since I have an FX4.
I worry about TC since it is brake controlled. My 2007 didnt have TC and it had 130,000km on the stock rear brakes. I dont want to burn through mine that quick. Usually just drive around in e-locker on and TC off (well the last 3 days anyways). Seems to be OK until I am on dry pavement or really trying to turn (like into my driveway). Then I just turn if it off.

There hasnt been dry pavement here for a while :

Old 12-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't have any experience with the new auto 4wd. I did have an 03 expedition and it had it, worked flawlessly. Left it there unless i was on the dry highway. I can only guess the system is similar, yet has 10 years more testing and refinement.

Quick Reply: 2013 4x4, e-locker, auto 4x4 options (I've RTFM)