2009 - 2014 F-150

6.2 ticking

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.2 ticking

I just bought a 2011 Limited with a 6.2 in it and am wondering if anyone else can chime in with their experience. Got it home and that week noticed a slight tapping/tick that is engine speed related coming from the passenger side. took it to a Ford dealer and they diagnosed it as needing the tappets replaced on the passenger side bank. This was done under warranty, 50000 miles.
Started it up and it sounded fine, 10-15 miles from the dealership when it reached full operating temp the ticking sound was back in full effect from the passenger side. Turned around and had the tech listen to it, and he said it is injectors ticking and is normal.
Next day after the truck had sat for about a full day I went out and started it with the remote start and it rattled like it was oil starved for about 10-15 seconds then smoothed out. It has now done that twice, just not as long the other time.
I am dropping it off at another dealer this weekend to see what they think but I can't believe that I would be able to hear injectors ticking while going down the road?! Anyone else with a 6.2 have any experience with this? I have been reading through the Raptor forums and have seen some similar issues but no real solutions or diagnosis.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the start up noise, what oil filter are you using. If it is a Fram, get rid of it and put on a Motorcraft. The Frams have a notoriously bad anti-drainback valve that allows all the oil to drain down to the pan. The noise at start-up is from a dry top end.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Motorcraft filter has been the only kind on there. I experienced the dry starts with my 05 and using different filters so I have used nothing but motorcraft since.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:53 PM
I have a 2004 5.4 3v with 42,000 miles I have always used 5w-20 motorcraft oil and fl820s oil filters and i still get a rattle on start up, not all the time.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

My 6.2 has always had a slight "tick" since I've owned it. To me just injectors. Idling with hood closed can't here it. Open the hood and I can just here the click, click, clickity coming from both sides. When I'm in the cab, and hard on the throttle, with the motor roaring, I can here the clickity a bit. Truck has always idled butter smooth, has never missed or hiccupped, and is really a bad MoFu...... Hope you don't have a problem.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Cheap thing to try is an oil change and a new filter. Take the motorcraft products in yourself so you know they aint screwin with you at the dealer. Maybe you got some bad oil that sheared or maybe they put the wrong weight in... Worth a shot.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:00 PM
So the 2nd dealership called back today and I have a broken rocker arm that banged up an exhaust valve as well. Sooooo yeah
Hopefully have it back by Friday.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by 05SDScrew
So the 2nd dealership called back today and I have a broken rocker arm that banged up an exhaust valve as well. Sooooo yeah
Hopefully have it back by Friday.
Ouch!!! So they are replacing the head. Good thing it is under warranty!

Old 11-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Dealership called today. The head they got in was damaged so now waiting on new parts. Interesting thing was they pulled the other valve cover and noticed that the rocker arms seemed different so after they looked I have the older part number softer/problem rocker arms on the passenger bank and the updated parts on the drivers side. My truck was built outside of the dates that the tsb for those parts covered. It appears it came from the factory that way

Old 11-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Dealership called today. The head they got in was damaged so now waiting on new parts. Interesting thing was they pulled the other valve cover and noticed that the rocker arms seemed different so after they looked I have the older part number softer/problem rocker arms on the passenger bank and the updated parts on the drivers side. My truck was built outside of the dates that the tsb for those parts covered. It appears it came from the factory that way
glws they found it and its too bad about yer setback....sounds like leftovers or cleaning out the parts bin when yer motor was assembled....

Old 11-22-2013, 03:47 PM
When was your truck built, and what is your production # (on your armrest)?

Old 11-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by BMWBig6
When was your truck built, and what is your production # (on your armrest)?
I don't remember right off hand. I will post it up when I get the pickup back on Monday. I think the build date listed was 1/11

Old 11-23-2013, 03:27 AM
Seeing this thread has me a little worried myself as I have had a pretty noticeable tick for quite a while. I didn't notice it until maybe a couple thousand miles after I bought it. It was a demo with 5,500 miles on it. Has never missed or had a dry start, just ticks pretty loudly with hood closed standing outside of the truck. Sometimes it goes away completely, but more often than not it ticks like hell.... Even if I give it a little gas in park the tick stays the same volume and speed. Should I be worried?

Last edited by onebadfiveoh; 11-23-2013 at 03:30 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by onebadfiveoh
Seeing this thread has me a little worried myself as I have had a pretty noticeable tick for quite a while. I didn't notice it until maybe a couple thousand miles after I bought it. It was a demo with 5,500 miles on it. Has never missed or had a dry start, just ticks pretty loudly with hood closed standing outside of the truck. Sometimes it goes away completely, but more often than not it ticks like hell.... Even if I give it a little gas in park the tick stays the same volume and speed. Should I be worried?
Hi.

Did I read that right - it does not change with rpms? If that's the case it's not the engine. The only other thing under there that rotates
( fixed speeds) but not part of the engine rotating assembly is the efans.

Good luck!

MGD

Old 11-23-2013, 08:34 AM
I don't remember right off hand. I will post it up when I get the pickup back on Monday. I think the build date listed was 1/11
Thanks for checking (when you get it back). My build date is 4/15/11.

Quick Reply: 6.2 ticking