2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

? on 5.0L lobing, intermediate shake

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
? on 5.0L lobing, intermediate shake

My older 2010 5.4L truck had a rock solid shake free, in gear, idle. You could sit in it at idle at a light, and it would not lobe or shake. The new 2012 5.0L has had it since day one and it's pretty insignificant so I didn't notice it until after driving it a week or so. The idle just isn't very smooth, it will lobe or periodic shake here and there. It's pretty minor not to be noticed but you can feel it and see it if you open the drivers door and watch for a shake.

My performance is top notch and I have absolutely no problem but I have noticed this and wondered if it's normal on other 5.0L trucks.

I also had a some whine from the drivetrain also, the kind that sounds like when guys change out pulleys for performance or the whine of a power steering pump (5.0L has no power steering pump). Took this in and tech said that was normal for the 5.0L. The 5.4L had neither of these noises.

As I said, they are only noise with no performance or any other issues. Just wondering if these are normal.

I guess I could test another 5.0L truck on the lot but asking here just seems simpler since I have no real problem.

Thanks everyone, appreciate it.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i feel the shake to. at first i thought it had something to do with where i put gas. so i changed my regular station and when that dint work i tried changing up from regular but still get the random shake.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have a 2011 and nothing like that. Smooth as silk.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 08-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Check your spark plug gap. Mine had a slight shake and all but one had too big a gap. I gaped them all to .050. Just make sure you use a wire gap tool since the plugs are iridium and a standard plug gap tool will damage the iridium pin.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:46 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by Bluejay
I have a 2011 and nothing like that. Smooth as silk.

Same here with my 2012. *knocking on wood* No shaking at all.

Of course, different people's butt sensors for such things can vary in sensitivity.

However, I did notice what I considered to be a rough idle in all of the 3.5 EB trucks I've driven. The two trucks I looked at before buying my truck and two of my friends' trucks, all with EB, idled rougher than I like.

^ That was my preemptive strike on the ecotoot fans that are sure to chime in.

Have ye taken her to the dealer, Mike? Not that they'll be able to do a damn thing without a CEL on ( ), but I'd at least get it documented...just in case.

Last edited by DewserB; 08-30-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine idles perfect but after all i do have the ecoboost. Its almost perfect anyway

In all seriousness i would check the spark plug gap, seems to be a common problem

Old 08-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DewserB
Same here with my 2012. *knocking on wood* No shaking at all.

Of course, different people's butt sensors for such things can vary in sensitivity.

However, I did notice what I considered to be a rough idle in all of the 3.5 EB trucks I've driven. The two trucks I looked at before buying my truck and two of my friends' trucks, all with EB, idled rougher than I like.

^ That was my preemptive strike on the ecotoot fans that are sure to chime in.

Have ye taken her to the dealer, Mike? Not that they'll be able to do a damn thing without a CEL on ( ), but I'd at least get it documented...just in case.
The 5.slow doesn't make enough low end torque to shake at idle. J/K

Old 08-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by NASSTY
The 5.slow doesn't make enough low end torque to shake at idle. J/K
You may be correct, mine is so smooth and quiet, I've tried to start it when it was already running. I now mash the trottle before trying to start it to see if it's running already.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
You may be correct, mine is so smooth and quiet, I've tried to start it when it was already running. I now mash the trottle before trying to start it to see if it's running already.
I was just razzing Dewser a little because he likes to talk crap about the Ecoboost, all in good fun though.

But as others have mentioned it would probably be a good idea for the OP to check the gaps on his spark plugs. They seem to be all over the place on some of the 2011-12 trucks but more consistant on the 13's.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by NASSTY
I was just razzing Dewser a little because he likes to talk crap about the Ecoboost, all in good fun though.

But as others have mentioned it would probably be a good idea for the OP to check the gaps on his spark plugs. They seem to be all over the place on some of the 2011-12 trucks but more consistant on the 13's.
Yes, I know. And I agree about the sparkplug gap.

Surprised that you didn't say the reason the engine was so quiet was because of losing my hearing at my age.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, maybe I'll have the dealer check the gaps after I show them the shake. It's very miniscule though. I just don't have the time to pull the plugs. I'm lucky I get any alone time to get the yard picked up.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:24 PM
I'm not going to lie.... I'm somewhat disappointed with the 5.0. The 5.0 has a TON of power... When it's floored. When I'm driving it normal it really seems to struggle at the smallest of hills. It is always the same.... Driving along and here comes a hill.... Shutter... Shutter (almost like a small rumble strip).... When I hit about half throttle it decides to downshift that makes a little difference. The throttle lag is TERRIBLE. I keep watching all these videos of F-150's towing these huge loads and I just don't see how they do it. Mine seems to have the hardest time just moving itself...

Relating to the OP... Mine has a rough idle in gear, which is worse with the A/C on. It's enough to shake the pass. seat and it annoys the heck out of me. I swear my dads F-250 LD with the 4.6 runs 1000 times better than my truck.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by nascar99ford
I'm not going to lie.... I'm somewhat disappointed with the 5.0. The 5.0 has a TON of power... When it's floored. When I'm driving it normal it really seems to struggle at the smallest of hills. It is always the same.... Driving along and here comes a hill.... Shutter... Shutter (almost like a small rumble strip).... When I hit about half throttle it decides to downshift that makes a little difference. The throttle lag is TERRIBLE. I keep watching all these videos of F-150's towing these huge loads and I just don't see how they do it. Mine seems to have the hardest time just moving itself...

Relating to the OP... Mine has a rough idle in gear, which is worse with the A/C on. It's enough to shake the pass. seat and it annoys the heck out of me. I swear my dads F-250 LD with the 4.6 runs 1000 times better than my truck.
Are you sure your dad's F250 doesn't have the 5.4? I never heard of an F250 with a 4.6.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:38 PM
It is a 1997 F-250LD.... And yes, it does have a 4.6. It isn't very common. It is one of those F-250s that looks like a F-150 with the 7-lug wheels.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by nascar99ford

Sounds as if you have something wrong. I live in the East Texas hills and never experience anything like that. Mine runs like a scalded ape, very responsive. So much so I decided I did not need a tuner, my 5.4 needed one. I would consider taking it in for a reflash.

Quick Reply: ? on 5.0L lobing, intermediate shake