2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

? on 5.0L lobing, intermediate shake

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In general I've noticed v6's generally have a rougher feel idling, and v8's are typically very smooth. I'd say check plugs.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 5.0L is very powerful. It's the most powerful truck/SUV I've ever owned and even more powerful than my previous '88 Firebird Forumula and '96 Camaro. However it didn't touch the 2010 Mustang GT we had.

It pulls my trailer so effortlessly, I'm actually pulling away with my 29' travel trailer from a stoplight quicker than many of the cars. I have to watch my speed when pulling away, and slow down as to get better fuel economy

I'm probably making more of it than it is as I've been called very nit picky. I just may compare it to another on the lot. But as seen here, the 2013 does it as well as it might be a side affect of getting that much power, high and low, out of a small displacement engine.

What I consider shake maybe someone else's smooth. Our 2012 2.5L Escape's engine vibrates more than the minor shake I'm talking about BUT the 5.4L was so smooth, you didn't know it was running.

Last edited by Mike Up; 08-31-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by nascar99ford
Relating to the OP... Mine has a rough idle in gear, which is worse with the A/C on. It's enough to shake the pass. seat and it annoys the heck out of me. I swear my dads F-250 LD with the 4.6 runs 1000 times better than my truck.
No, mine is not a noticeable shake at all. The seats definitely don't shake. You can see my cell phone shake when it's on the windshield mount a bit. If I open the driver's door, you can see it shake a bit but not noticeably.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Mine is slow, very slow.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:10 PM
OK, I went to the dealer and tried another truck just like mine except it was a '13 Extended Cab with 3.55 locker. Same options and everything except being an Extend Cab with the Economy friendly 3.55 gears.

It had the exact same shake that mine did. So it's obviously a characteristic of the engine. Some may not be as sensitive to it as I am.

But what I did find out that the other truck didn't have that whine that sounds like a power steering pump that mine had. It only whines when I put it in gear. It sounds like a bad power steering pump going out or a car with performance sized pulleys. I was told by the manager it was normal but took him out to see that mine did it and the '13 did not. They are going to look at it when I get my oil change done.

Can't think what would be making it whine. He said it sounded like it was coming from the trans last time I had him look at it. Hopefully it's not major. I'm not at all happy, wish they would had took it more serious the first time I brought it up months ago.

Last edited by Mike Up; 09-05-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Old 09-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Nope, the truck runs perfect. I have noticed this before on smaller displacement V8. I believe my 4.6L did this in the Sport Trac but it's been a few years so I don't quite remember.

Well I have a 125,000 mile warranty so I'm not to worried about it. I just like to catch things before they become problems.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:50 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by NASSTY
I was just razzing Dewser a little because he likes to talk crap about the Ecoboost, all in good fun though.

My razzin' of the econo-tooter owners is all in good fun, too. They're great engines!

Surprised that you didn't say the reason the engine was so quiet was because of losing my hearing at my age.
Nope. Yer hearin' is OK. It's yer memory that's shot.

Sounds as if you have something wrong. I live in the East Texas hills and never experience anything like that. Mine runs like a scalded ape, very responsive. So much so I decided I did not need a tuner, my 5.4 needed one. I would consider taking it in for a reflash.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

I tried to say that I agree with Jim that something must be wrong with the truck that belongs to the feller saying he struggles with hills n' sich.

Sent from my garbage android device.

Quick Reply: ? on 5.0L lobing, intermediate shake