2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 Platinum AMP Motor bad..HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2010 Platinum AMP Motor bad..HELP!!

So as the title says, I have a 2010 Platinum and the driver side motor has gone out. I get in and out of my truck on one day more than people do in a week. Passenger♠ side is fine. I am out of warranty and have been for awhile. 181,000 miles on the OD. I've searched threads on here and called around to Ford and AMP dealers and they all have admitted that you can't just buy a replacement motor for this years AMP boards. You have to replace the entire set(both sides). Ford wants more money for one side than a aftermarket truck shop wants for both(bought from AMP). So obviously if I go that route a truck shop would replace my current amp setup with new models for around $1,200-$1,400. What I'm looking for is a wrecked truck that I can just buy the motor from for cheap and do the work myself. My problem is I can't seem to find one anywhere. I have checked car-part and they have whole sides complete with motor for around $800 but if I'm going to do that I might as well buy brand new. Anyone had any luck finding replacement motors online or local?

Old 08-25-2013, 11:15 PM
Jesus, I'm sorry you're in this situation. Thats absurd that you have to replace both running boards because one motor went out. I love a lot of things about my experience with my F150 but the parts experience has not been one of them. Best of luck to you!

Old 08-26-2013, 12:00 AM
Have you tried checking with some auto salvage yards either local or on the Internet.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by rhampar
Have you tried checking with some auto salvage yards either local or on the Internet.
Yes, the ones online like car-parts.com don't have just the motor itself. They have the whole assembly for one side. IE running board, motor, brackets, gears, etc. for around $800-$900. Locally I haven't had any luck as well. Craigslist, newspaper, looking around. I can afford to pay the $1,200-$1,4000 for a new set its just the point that AMP and Ford have basically forced you to buy new or pay a stupid amount for a replacement. That I'm to the point were I want to stick it back to the man that is trying to stick it to the little man. IE us the purchaser. That's why I'm trying to to find a source for the motor itself, because everything else it working fine. If I find a source or a fix for the problem trust me I will be the first person to let everyone else know. As I know I'm not the first or the last to have this problem.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Some ideas:

1. go to manual nerf bars, cheaper by far, won't break down

2. Pull the motor, and start looking farther up the supply chain. Search out manufacturers of 12vdc stepper motors, etc... You might find out who actually supplies the motor, and you might be able to source one that way. Just because AMP doesn't sell, doesn't mean the motor supplier won't sell you one piece.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why don't you take it off and see if there is a shop around you that can rebuild the motor for you. it will be cheaper than buying new ones.

Posted from F150online.com App for Android

Old 08-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Another thought - most people that drive high miles like us are getting paid miles, trade the truck. At 150+k miles, if I have over a $1000 repair, I start looking hard at trading, because statistically speaking, you are going to start having more and more wear out parts as the miles go up.

At 181k, the engine and transmission are at the point either one can give up at any time without much warning.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:07 PM
I agree with AJ on going up the supply chain. Pull the motor and look for info. Could also try to find a similar motor.

I'm also assuming you ave diagnosed and made sure the motor has power to it, etc...

Old 08-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Also are you 100% sure that the motors bad or will the step just not go down? From what I have been reading on the automatic running boards is that it isnt uncommon for the boards to stop lowering. but not because the motor/wiring is bad but because dirt/mud/ect get stuck in the joints and since the running boards have a force sensor in them that when theres an object or something stopping it from going down it automatically goes back up and it seems like alot of fixes for it is to clean and re oil the joints.

But if it is the motor that sucks. quite an expensive fix. They are nice but IMO
go to manual nerf bars, cheaper by far, won't break down

Old 02-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by j-dubb
So as the title says, I have a 2010 Platinum and the driver side motor has gone out. I get in and out of my truck on one day more than people do in a week. Passenger♠ side is fine. I am out of warranty and have been for awhile. 181,000 miles on the OD. I've searched threads on here and called around to Ford and AMP dealers and they all have admitted that you can't just buy a replacement motor for this years AMP boards. You have to replace the entire set(both sides). Ford wants more money for one side than a aftermarket truck shop wants for both(bought from AMP). So obviously if I go that route a truck shop would replace my current amp setup with new models for around $1,200-$1,400. What I'm looking for is a wrecked truck that I can just buy the motor from for cheap and do the work myself. My problem is I can't seem to find one anywhere. I have checked car-part and they have whole sides complete with motor for around $800 but if I'm going to do that I might as well buy brand new. Anyone had any luck finding replacement motors online or local?
Same problem here with my 2011. I keep trying to find just the motor through various places, and somehow everytime I find one, it always turns out to be the passenger side. Ive returned 4 so far because of this. This last one through eBay. Did you ever have any luck?

Quick Reply: 2010 Platinum AMP Motor bad..HELP!!