2009 - 2014 F-150

Ecoboost or 5.0 which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jntibs
I dont understand why people think this. The EB has been in service longer than the 5.0, and this engine bears no resemblance to the 5.0 of old.
If you really don't know I would love to explain it to you.

A couple things.

First off, people, including myself, have heard about the 5.0 engine forever. Now you say the motors are not similar at all. That's a fun fact. Didn't know that. Kudos to you. Secondly, generally when a "new" motor is released, it comes with issues. And when you take such a substantial, dare I say risky, move like adding a smaller motor with a higher output motor to a work horse... It may raise a few brows. I look forward to seeing how these vehicles hold up in mass amounts at 200k+. Not everyone finances a new truck every 3 years. From the looks of things so far, once again, it looks like ford successfully put out a more economical alternative to the v8.

I added my opinion, I forgot we couldn't do that on this forum anymore.

Thanks all,
Sam.

Edit: let me add in I'm not Kevin O. Or prime81. I don't come here to argue back and forth and defend my opinion. There is a lot of good information on here, and a lot of ******.

Last edited by gcart; 08-15-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:55 PM
^gcart, the EB may be smaller displacement with big power...., but the internals are FORGED. That is huge in any engine. It is built to last. I did and will pay $750 more for forged internals any day of the week. The mpg are not really any better with the EB, but the engine makes way more power. Most engine builders would kill for 30 more lb-ft.

For me, a motor doesn't need to last 200k miles. It would take me 20+ years to get there. I hammer the crap out of my truck everyday. It gets floored at least 10-15 times a day. I just love feeling torque from a stand still or passing. I only put 8-10,000 miles on my truck a year. So years are what count in my book. I flip every 4-6 years because I like having the latest gadgets in my vehicles. I may not turn the most miles, but they are very severe miles. Probably worse than a 100k+ mile motor that has been a freeway queen.

Last edited by hydro1; 08-15-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by hydro1
^gcart, the EB may be smaller displacement with big power...., but the internals are FORGED. That is huge in any engine. It is built to last. I did and will pay $750 more for forged internals any day of the week. The mpg are not really any better with the EB, but the engine makes way more power. Most engine builders would kill for 30 more lb-ft.
That goes along with what I have previously said, twice, I'm glad ford came up with a more economical alternative. Economical meaning fuel wise, and affordability.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:38 PM
Ecoboost has more components that can fail. Ford has been making the modular S/D OHC motors for quite some time and are quite good at it. This ecoboost motor is newer in the sense that Ford hasn't been making this type of engine as long. The 5.0, while being a different motor, was built on lessons learned from the 4.6/5.4. Seeing some of the headaches members have had on here make me want to avoid ecoboost. Kinda like some on here would also want to avoid a 5.4 3v. My motor might be pretty gutless, but it is quite reliable.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by dewalt17
Ecoboost has more components that can fail. Ford has been making the modular S/D OHC motors for quite some time and are quite good at it. This ecoboost motor is newer in the sense that Ford hasn't been making this type of engine as long. The 5.0, while being a different motor, was built on lessons learned from the 4.6/5.4. Seeing some of the headaches members have had on here make me want to avoid ecoboost. Kinda like some on here would also want to avoid a 5.4 3v. My motor might be pretty gutless, but it is quite reliable.
Put on your flame suit.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by gcart
Put on your flame suit.
I ain't scared. I know my engine is far more reliable than an ecoboost, 5.4 3v, and probably even the current 5.0. Only thing more reliable than a 4.6L 2v is an old 300 straight 6. Those damn things are pretty much indestructible.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by dewalt17

I ain't scared. I know my engine is far more reliable than an ecoboost, 5.4 3v, and probably even the current 5.0. Only thing more reliable than a 4.6L 2v is an old 300 straight 6. Those damn things are pretty much indestructible.
I'm on my second one. Put 180k miles on my first. Hard miles too.

Just bought a 2010 a month ago with the 4.6, plan on driving it until I have kids (hopefully 6-10 years).

Old 08-16-2013, 12:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd go with the 5.0! Nothing like V8 sound & smoothness!

Old 08-16-2013, 01:12 AM
Turbos are in diesels and many cars, many of which have gone 250k+ miles with no issues. For mileage, towing ability, and quietness the ecoboost is a clear winner.

The EB will not go rev crazy like the v8 counterparts do, this gives the engine better economy and IMO less wear and tear. My EB tows my 9300lb fifth wheel @ 60mph with 1700-1800rpms. I've owned both v8's and turbo cars in the past, v8 has a different and addictive sound to it where as the rush from the turbos is equally addictive. Towing with v8's is just not the same as the EB, the max torque at 2500 rpms on the EB just blows the older v8's away.

Want proof? Try doing this with a 5.slow

Last edited by prime81; 08-16-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 5.0, all day long.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:35 AM
I have owned them both..... For what you are looking to do get an EB. Both are solid engines that at the end of the day will get the job done. With what you are looking to do with your truck, you will most likely average 15 to 16 MPG for the life of it. I wouldn't worry about reliability with either engine. Some of the 11 and 12 EB's had some bugs, but I think Ford has that worked out.

With all that being said I do drive a 5.slow......

Old 08-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by gcart
If you really don't know I would love to explain it to you.

A couple things.

First off, people, including myself, have heard about the 5.0 engine forever. Now you say the motors are not similar at all. That's a fun fact. Didn't know that. Kudos to you. Secondly, generally when a "new" motor is released, it comes with issues. And when you take such a substantial, dare I say risky, move like adding a smaller motor with a higher output motor to a work horse... It may raise a few brows. I look forward to seeing how these vehicles hold up in mass amounts at 200k+. Not everyone finances a new truck every 3 years. From the looks of things so far, once again, it looks like ford successfully put out a more economical alternative to the v8.

I added my opinion, I forgot we couldn't do that on this forum anymore.

Thanks all,
Sam.

Edit: let me add in I'm not Kevin O. Or prime81. I don't come here to argue back and forth and defend my opinion. There is a lot of good information on here, and a lot of ******.
First off, I'm not sure who you think your calling a *****??? I also only argue facts not opinions and your opinion on the 5.0 is WRONG. It has nothing in common with the 5.0 of the past except the 5.0 badge. Comparing it this soon to the well renowned 4.6L is just a little premature since the new 5.0 has only been out since 2011. The 3.5L duratec that is the same engine design as the Ecoboost has been out since 2007 and has already proven itself as a dependable power train. Ford has now taken the same engine and made it strong enough to handle the twin turbos. Here is a link that explains what the ecoboost short block is made of to handle the extra power.

http://www.full-race.com/articles/in...ost-f-150.html

To the OP, If you need the sweet sound of the V8 then get the 5.0 .Both engines will do the job. The Ecoboost will just do it with much less effort and much less downshifting on hills to maintain speed.. I chose the Ecoboost and couldn't be happier. The smooth quiet power is what i enjoy. Nothing better than climbing 6% grades with a 7500-8000lb trailer and never seeing the rpms going higher than 2200rpms.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Kevin O.
First off, I'm not sure who you think your calling a *****??? I also only argue facts not opinions and your opinion on the 5.0 is WRONG. It has nothing in common with the 5.0 of the past except the 5.0 badge. Comparing it this soon to the well renowned 4.6L is just a little premature since the new 5.0 has only been out since 2011. The 3.5L duratec that is the same engine design as the Ecoboost has been out since 2007 and has already proven itself as a dependable power train. Ford has now taken the same engine and made it strong enough to handle the twin turbos. Here is a link that explains what the ecoboost short block is made of to handle the extra power. http://www.full-race.com/articles/in...ost-f-150.html To the OP, If you need the sweet sound of the V8 then get the 5.0 .Both engines will do the job. The Ecoboost will just do it with much less effort and much less downshifting on hills to maintain speed.. I chose the Ecoboost and couldn't be happier. The smooth quiet power is what i enjoy. Nothing better than climbing 6% grades with a 7500-8000lb trailer and never seeing the rpms going higher than 2200rpms.
You're** actually, holy grammar man.

Not you. You weren't involved in the "being a *****" in this thread. When I brought up your name, I was referring back to your repeated arguing with prime81. And didn't say anything negative towards you.

Does no one read into post anymore?

Thanks all.
Sam.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by FshrFwl
I pull a bass boat about once a week and a 29' house trailer about 3-4 times per year.

Does the Ecoboost have that much more advantage in towing over the 5.0?
Buy it based on the payload, not the sound. The EcoBoost's extra payload and torque will help towing. I say buy the EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package or Heavy-Duty Payload Package.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
All you ECO lovers, just wait until you have an injector fail. The Land Rover (built under Ford) direct injectors cost 800 a piece, just in parts

I'd buy 5.0 in a heart beat. I don't care about having 30 extra ftlbs with the ECO, since I'm already gaining a lot of power over my 4.6 2V 4spd

Quick Reply: Ecoboost or 5.0 which would you choose?