2009 - 2014 F-150

My Daughters first Truck... Mods, Mods and more Mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I've been told they are a great upgrade. The have been on the to do list. We still have a few months to address possible shock upgrade. She had seem some of the baja style roof racks out there. Were kind of shopping around for one.

http://www.thisweekinmotors.com/wp-c...hase_truck.jpg

Old 08-08-2013, 10:00 PM

Thank you both for your service!

That looks good! Disposable income is something our trucks seem to love. Wonder why . . .

Old 08-09-2013, 06:34 PM
To blow more of the young Sergeants money, She wants a roof rack and basket. Just gotta find the right one. Were open ideas and input.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:11 PM

This truck is gonna look bad A when it gets a lift! I can't speak for a roof rack though. Some have a headache type portion that mounts in the bed then extends over the roof. That seems more desirable to me than drilling into the roof

Old 08-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What all does she want out of the basket? Is she planning on keeping a tire up there? Attach lights to it, front, back, and/or sides?

Old 08-10-2013, 12:38 AM
More lift is not on the "to do list" ant time soon. Ford was cool with the 2 inch level we had the dealer install but I'm sure she should risk blowing her 7 year drive train warranty by going with a lot of lift on a brand new truck. The headache rack type with roof rack look great and are functional but she kind of Needs that tool box and that would take that away. Were lucky. we got garages and shops for our tools and gear. She lives in a barracks and has her parking lot. The basket would be extra cargo, probably multi directional lights for out in the sticks and possibly the full size spare. The factory one is still under the bed, but a bit shy of the 35's she has now. Im not so sure a full size would fit under there with the factory heat sheild.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:42 AM
Lifting shouldn't void the warranty, completely. They could however refuse ball joints and tie rod ends and stuff like that if they can prove that the lift caused them to go bad. But with 35's on it now they could void it because of those too. If you had a axle or transmission problem they could easily say the oversized tires caused extra stress making it fail.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:34 PM

^ this was kind of my thoughts too. I wasn't suggesting that it needed a lift now, all of these mods are "lift friendly" though and look that much better with one.

Sorry, I forgot about the toolbox. I've thought about getting rhino bars (or whatever the heck they are) in my bed for lights, but I need my tool box back there too, so tht ain't gonna work.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm sure if by some stroke of luck, if the truck is in good working order at 70K a larger lift is something she would do. Lets hope a 21 year old first truck lasts that long! all of mine did, but that first one I had, 76 chevy 3/4 ton had 2 motors and 3 trans before it gave out somewhere over 200k. But my 91 f150 w 300 6 was epic. 21 years old, original motor n trans, never quit till ohio rust broke her back at 230k.... it it still ran strong. Still made mad it gave out on me! I i got a '08 1500 silverado wt and its just a dog. I miss my Ford.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:10 PM

If your '91 Ford was that good to you, why would you go get a Chevy?! Haha

Old 08-10-2013, 02:19 PM
I'd suggest getting a custom tune then to go with that cold air intake to keep it running strong at 70k. Those motors don't like cold air intakes without tunes.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
If your '91 Ford was that good to you, why would you go get a Chevy?! Haha
The used chevy was about $4K less then all simular age and miles than the ford at the time. And every ford was all XLT's and then some, carpet, leather, power everything. All short beds, to me 6 1/2 is SHORT. The chevy was single cab, 8 ft bed, rubber floor, power nothing. What I was looking for. Not till I tried to haul with it did I realize the little GM V8 is a joke. .... Should have held out for the F250 fleet truck I wanted.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
I'd suggest getting a custom tune then to go with that cold air intake to keep it running strong at 70k. Those motors don't like cold air intakes without tunes.
Any suggestions for that? The dealership was all cool with the Roush parts going on the truck. They have a working relationship with each other. But when I asked about Bully Dog or any other plug in tuners I was told that voids manufacture warranty.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:54 PM

Cold air intakes change up the A/F ratios, and make the motor run a tad bit lean. Everyone on this site is dead set against anyone having an intake without tuning for it, and I agree, to an extent. But many people run intakes for 200,000 miles (w/o tunes) without incident, while others (low numbers) have major problems. I wouldn't put one on my own truck without having my custom tunes adjusted for it, but your daughter's truck is likely fine with it on there. It's better to have custom tunes, but I don't know if I'd want to risk my warranty on it. I've gotten yelled at for saying this before, but it's the truth as I see it. She's going to want to get a programming device with custom written tunes down the road anyway though because they can adjust the speedo for larger tires, and for different gear ratios, as well as adjusting for any exhaust, intake, or motor work she may do. Well worth the $400 in my opinion. I'm sure she'll get one when warranty becomes less of an issue.

Good idea on manual everything, less things to go wrong! I like that my truck has power windows and locks with everything else being manual. Those 2 things are my minimum power requirements, and they're relatively simple to fix when they go wrong. Power seats and heated mirrors/seats and crap like that I don't need to be fixin

Last edited by KMAC0694; 08-11-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:53 PM
You don't want a tuner with canned tunes, if your going to get one get one that can have customs tunes written specifically for the truck. There's a whole section on this site about tuners, a lot of info over there that I couldn't begin to explain.. But if something went wrong with the motor they could still turn around and say the cold air intake caused it, just depends how picky they wanna be depending on the bill..

Literally anything you change can void they warranty if they can prove it caused it, even if they install it or say they're cool with it. Just some food for thought for future reference..

Last edited by pizzaman711; 08-11-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply: My Daughters first Truck... Mods, Mods and more Mods