2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Which color?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 01:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which color?

Hey guys, finally coming back around to the site... been AWOL for quite some time... I am looking to trade in my black FX4 for a new 5.0 STX 4x4 Super Cab.

I am interested in the Sterling Gray Metallic and the White. I'd be interested to hear about other colors as well though!

I am looking for input as to how your paint held up (I do hunt and drive through woods, fields... used to offroad a LOT, not so much anymore) and overall satisfaction (how well it holds a shine, how often you have to wash it, how hot it gets, how easily other drivers see you etc)

This past summer in NC, the temperatures were so hot that the pavement buckled on US1 near me. I was driving down i40 that afternoon and my truck (while rolling highway speeds) read 113*... With my AC on full blast for 15 minutes I was able to cool off to "livable" temperatures. I am done with black. Too hot, too dirty when its dirty, and shows everything... But man it sure looks good shined up - just hard to keep it that way

Last edited by wingman4; 10-27-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by wingman4
Hey guys, finally coming back around to the site... been AWOL for quite some time... I am looking to trade in my black FX4 for a new 5.0 STX 4x4 Super Cab.

I am interested in the Sterling Gray Metallic and the White. I'd be interested to hear about other colors as well though!

I am looking for input as to how your paint held up (I do hunt and drive through woods, fields... used to offroad a LOT, not so much anymore) and overall satisfaction (how well it holds a shine, how often you have to wash it, how hot it gets, how easily other drivers see you etc)

This past summer in NC, the temperatures were so hot that the pavement buckled on US1 near me. I was driving down i40 that afternoon and my truck (while rolling highway speeds) read 113*... With my AC on full blast for 15 minutes I was able to cool off to "livable" temperatures. I am done with black. Too hot, too dirty when its dirty, and shows everything... But man it sure looks good shined up - just hard to keep it that way
wingman4,

I am a black truck guy, but this time I went with Green Gem. It gets a lot of comments (not that I care) because it looks black in some light and dark green in others. Sometimes it is a mixture of the two. It will still be hot.

Take Care

Green Gem

Old 10-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have sterling grey.........BORING. Wanted white, but got $7,000 off of price for the grey.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:08 AM
i like white i origianlly wanted white but got the blue flame i love it the white will hide small scratches really well just wont hide any dirt and when there cleaned up good white looks amazing given the right setup

Old 10-27-2012, 12:01 PM
...Race Red, IMHO, looks amazing in the sunlight!

Old 10-27-2012, 07:02 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

I'm partial to dark blue pearl metallic. Not available in the package you mentioned though, and it was replaced by the "jeans" color in 2013.

Other than that, the blue flame looks great, and it's always hard to beat white. However, the latter CAN look "work truck-ish" in some configurations.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:00 AM
If you were going white, I personally greatly prefer the white platinum heads and tails over the oxford white. That pearl gives the white some much needed class. Well worth the $495 price tag for color upgrade.

Trending Topics

Old 10-28-2012, 12:19 AM
If you're getting a 2013, the new Kodiak Brown is awesome!

Old 10-28-2012, 01:38 AM
If you're looking for something that always looks clean, go with Pale Adobe. It'll look like an "old mans" color but even if you don't wash it for years it'll look clean.

If you're just looking for something that's easier to keep clean than black, which is pretty much anything, go with red!

Old 10-28-2012, 02:36 AM

My 01 was white, my 2010 that I've had three years is Sterling grey metallic and i love it. It shines even when its dirty. I've been lazy lately and haven't washed it, but it still looks clean. Can't get that with white.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:02 AM
Awesome guys! Thank you very much for the input! I have always been a fan of black trucks, but man it gets hot in the summer and is a pain to keep clean. I will see what my dealer can work - who knows, maybe I'll get a few K off for the color. There's a nice flame blue one down closer to me (at the smaller dealer), but it has 3.73 gears. Not sure I can go 3.73 again. I get horrible mpg with my 3.73 right now... I would like to get a little better highway than 15.5-16 I pull right now

Old 10-29-2012, 01:11 AM
I kinda like the blue flame, but I feel like it would be cool for a month and then kinda wear off and look purple-ish queer like some of the mustangs I've seen - and ahhh, yeah... that's not really me... I like the blue. I just couldn't stand it if it faded

I like the sterling gray. It seems to look green in some light and gray in others, but it blends in well with the woods etc... which is kinda cool. I have seen some pretty nice white ones too.

I'd be looking to do a 4" Rough Country lift with NARROW 34 or 35s... probably 285s on stock rims. Flowmaster Super44's straight out the back with rolled tips... move over my black low profile UWS box with firestick... and at some point do a ranch hand bullnose bumper or something similar... just to give you an idea of what I plan to do with it

Old 10-30-2012, 02:31 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by wingman4
There's a nice flame blue one down closer to me (at the smaller dealer), but it has 3.73 gears. Not sure I can go 3.73 again. I get horrible mpg with my 3.73 right now... I would like to get a little better highway than 15.5-16 I pull right now
You can't really compare your experience with the 3.73 in your current truck with the 3.73 in the new 5.0 mated with the 6 speed. Again, leaps and bounds difference between the two, and the 5.0 gets MUCH better fuel economy than you're used to.

If it were me, I'd jump on that truck! Love the color, and the lighter supercab (lighter than the supercrew, at least) with the 3.73 would be fuuuuuuuuuuunnn to drive!!

Old 10-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Keep in mind the Tuxedo black is metallic so up close it looks pretty sweet, especially in any kind of light. Black maybe HOT, but you can get cooled seats and remote start which pretty much eliminates those issues.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:43 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by prime81
Black maybe HOT, but you can get cooled seats and remote start which pretty much eliminates those issues.
Not if he's looking to stay with the STX. He's trying to keep his payment down, remember?

Quick Reply: Which color?