2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Update on Vibration Issue 2011 FX4 SC, 6'5, EB

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread made me join, not gonna lie! when i worked at ford years ago, we had a few trucks come in with vibrations usually ended up being drive line anlge. have them pull it on a drive on lift and check pinion and drive shaft angles, may need a shim under the leaf spring. also i remember one truck they swapped a trans in but not the torque converter and guess what ended up fixing the problem...torque converter.

onto my truck, 2009 (i think its called a super crew, the one with the two suicide doors wifes like to bang off each other) 5.4. when towing a car and trailer it has a buck and jurk like a missfire, but accordning to ford its my ABS module thats out of warranty, and another dealer says its running lean with no check engine light. cant say i have any vibrations though.

good luck guys hope you figure it out!

Old 10-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Only issue I have ever delt with like this and fords in the dumbass aluma chrome wheels. Our local shops here including the ford dealer couldnt seem to get the wheels correct. They would read out as being balanced but as soon as you drove it they would go crazy vibrating.

Turns out that the aluma chrome is like a cover over the steel part of the wheel and when they placed the nose cone into it to balance the fake chrome would push it out slightly or sit at different angles depending on how tight it would put on. I had one set fully balanced on 5 different occasions (three times at two ford stores,twice at tire kingdom) before they figured out how to get it right. Ended up being at tire kingdom when they realized why it would balance out but when it was taken off the machine and put right back on it would be out of balance. Ended up just installing the wheel backwards so the chrome isn't on the center cone and balancing that way. Never had another issue and have another 30k on the tires since then. I was pulling my hair out figuring out the problem!
I seriously doubt it will help you guys out but I found it odd and was very happy to have an answer.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:23 PM
Hi All,

I just came across this forum. In short, I have the exact same issue on a 2012 F150 SC 6.5 EB 4x4. I purchased this truck new in Sept 2012. It's been there from the beginning.

Vibration was from 75-83mph.
Now it's 70-80mph.

They have replaced:
axle
drive shaft (twice)
shocks
rear pinion ...

and a bunch of other stuff. Their fixes are not working.

Honestly, I highly recommend anyone with a Ford truck in these years, with same specs get rid of it, even if you don't have the vibration yet.. Now more than ever, I am not hopeful this will ever be fixed with my truck.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:59 AM
I had forgotten about this thread until it popped up again. I have had all the same vibration issues as OP, cool temp stuff, tires, and so on. My vibe is non-existent below 45 mph and gets progressively worse, no matter the road conditions. It really gets going at 72 -77 mph, usually 75 mph is where there is a distinct vibration in the steering wheel and seat bottom of drivers seat.

I have tried 3 sets of tires, rebalance, RF Balance with 180 degree reindex of one tire, front end alignment, vibration/shudder/thump TSB, rotors and pads in front, and tire pressure changes. It all started at tire change at 42,000 miles. Same thing, as my 2007 SCab with 6.5 bed. On the '07, I also tried another set of factory wheels, shocks, struts and hubs/bearings.

I actually looked at the new GMC trucks this past weekend and they are an ugly sight. I have driven four new 2013 trucks, 3 FX4 EB SCab's and 1 STX 4x4, all 4 had a vibe at different speeds, and all under 65 mph, 3 with 18" alloy's and 1 with the 20" wheels. It seems that some owners on here think I'm nuts. For what it's worth, I am glad I'm not the only one with these issues. I can't see myself jumping ship, and going with a different brand, but this is two new F150's in a row with similar issues at around 40,000 miles. I would go with a Mustang, but really need a tow vehicle.

Is this only happening on SCab trucks with 6.5 bed?

Last edited by Blue07STX; 05-16-2014 at 07:15 AM. Reason: content
Old 05-16-2014, 11:16 AM
I know everyone is saying they changed tires, but were those tires the same brand tires? Also if you raise or level the rear end of the truck does the vibration go away? Could be as simple as replacing the rear shocks with a 1-2 inch lift shock.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:02 PM
In my case (on my 2011):
1. Installed Michein LTX M/S2 tires, immediately after install, a very harsh and choppy ride, vibe throughout truck, rebalance on new Hunter machine, no noticeable improvement, almost lost control while passing on a bumpy stretch of highway while changing lanes at around 75 mph.
2. Installed Toyo Open Country H/S tire and front end alignment, very heavy front end when turning, vibration in steering wheel and drivers seat at 75 mph, harsh and choppy ride.
3. Installed OEM Michelin LTX A/S four days later, regained some ride comfort, vibrates in steering wheel and drivers seat at 75 mph.

Factory size P265/60-18 tires all 3 sets. I drive the 75 mph speed limit when visiting family in Texas or when passing on the highways in Arkansas.

Why put more money in the second new F150 in a row, with the same issues, including a soft brake pedal?

Last edited by Blue07STX; 05-16-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
...Why put more money in the second new F150 in a row, with the same issues, including a soft brake pedal?
Agreed. People ask "why didn you try this or that"? Well, because Im not spending $40K on a new truck, then wasting my time and more money to try to figure out Fords design flaws. They know its a flaw that cant be fixed, and they dont care. Thats why they bought my truck back 1.5yrs after I bought it, for full purchase price, plus the $2K in after market acc's I added.

Ill never own another Ford product after they way they did me on my new F150

Old 05-17-2014, 05:09 PM
What are you driving now? Any problems with it? Whar are the road conditions in your part of the country?

Old 05-17-2014, 05:12 PM
I bought a real truck.... a Cummins, and couldnt be happier.

The road conditions arent bad here, but they had no bearing on any of my issues, either

Old 05-18-2014, 04:38 AM
Weird I only feel a vibration around 250 km/h ; )

Old 05-18-2014, 08:20 PM
Get a loaner from service and keep it. LOL

Old 05-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by SilverFox66
I bought a real truck.... a Cummins, and couldnt be happier.

The road conditions arent bad here, but they had no bearing on any of my issues, either
Glad your happy with your purchase. I test drove two 2014 Hemi trucks last month, and was disappointed in the interior. I will say though, the base Ram stereo sounds much better than the Ford base AM/FM single disc player.

James

Old 05-19-2014, 01:14 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012F150vibrate
Hi All,

I just came across this forum. In short, I have the exact same issue on a 2012 F150 SC 6.5 EB 4x4. I purchased this truck new in Sept 2012. It's been there from the beginning.

Vibration was from 75-83mph.
Now it's 70-80mph.

They have replaced:
axle
drive shaft (twice)
shocks
rear pinion ...

and a bunch of other stuff. Their fixes are not working.

Honestly, I highly recommend anyone with a Ford truck in these years, with same specs get rid of it, even if you don't have the vibration yet.. Now more than ever, I am not hopeful this will ever be fixed with my truck.
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
I had forgotten about this thread until it popped up again. I have had all the same vibration issues as OP, cool temp stuff, tires, and so on. My vibe is non-existent below 45 mph and gets progressively worse, no matter the road conditions. It really gets going at 72 -77 mph, usually 75 mph is where there is a distinct vibration in the steering wheel and seat bottom of drivers seat. ...
2012F150vibrate and Blue07STX,

Have you both been to a Ford dealer to have them take a look at this? What is the current mileage on your respective trucks?

Ashley

Old 05-19-2014, 01:35 PM
Im curious as this just seems to be a 2011, '12 SCAB model issue. Anyone with 13's or newer having this issue, and if anyof you have finally had this resolved.

Thanks

Old 05-19-2014, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by FordService
2012F150vibrate and Blue07STX,

Have you both been to a Ford dealer to have them take a look at this? What is the current mileage on your respective trucks?

Ashley
I took my '07 in on 3 or 4 occasions, and they performrd a Road Force balance, an alignment and installed two sets of tires, but could not find anything out of the ordinary. An independent shop said they could feel the vibration, but couldn't locate the reason for the vibration.

The 2011 has been to the dealer for a Road Force balance and a front brake caliper replacement since mid February. The truck is no longer under 36/36,000 mile warranty, so I most likely will not take it in unless it is absolutely necessary. My concerns have now shifted to a soft brake pedal after pad and rotor replacement.

I have almost 47,000 miles on the odometer.

Last edited by Blue07STX; 05-19-2014 at 02:09 PM. Reason: content

Quick Reply: Update on Vibration Issue 2011 FX4 SC, 6'5, EB