2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Update on Vibration Issue 2011 FX4 SC, 6'5, EB

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with the last two guys. Lawyer/court is gonna cost ya. Go to dealer, demand a trade, and no additional costs...do not take no for an answer. Camp out in showroom if you have too. But no, please don't take it in the butt

Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 PM
noticed this vibration today for the first time, (before reading this post). i never had it up to those speeds before so never noticed it. Also just installed a lift so thought i was from that. let me know what they do for you.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Well. I am reasonable. And have been so. But when they tell me they are going to help and admit there is an issue, only to turn around and say, well, no we aren't and there isn't any problem.....well. Thats bull****. So Ford has had a few months to help me out. And they have done the SROFA. So. What do you propose? We have no lemon law in Canada....and all I asked for them to do was replace the truck with the same model etc. Instead they say trade it in (at a huge loss) and we will give you $2000 to help offset the 8000 difference (depreciation etc). So if they or anyone else thinks I'm gonna take a $6k bath, well, that ain't gonna happen. Listen. Ford knows there is an issue. The service managers know there is an issue. They are doing jack to fix it. Options?

Old 08-11-2012, 03:15 PM
I am going to keep bringing it into the dealer for warranty work on this issue until they fix it. I get a loaner as per my Extended warranty so....its so bad that my kids wake up from vibrating in their car seats. That's a load of crap. And it is reproducible 100% of the time.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:38 AM
"As of now Ford has told the dealer to stop attempting repairs until it can be researched / investigated"

you think they will fix anything else?

Old 08-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine did that for a while too, until I rotated the tires this last time. When I first got it it would start right around 75mph, now it wont show up until almost 90. I don't go that fast very often, so its not a big deal any more.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Well. I have received several emails from members outlining the vibration issues they have been having which are the same as mine. Looks to be a fairly common issue. Please email me with your vibration issues....I am compiling some stats.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Chris, thanks for posting this. I knew others had to have the same problems I have, and joined this forum when I saw the posts concerning the same issues I have.

Here is the email I sent Chris earlier:

"I have a 2011 F150/4WD/5.0/SC/5.5/Goodyear Wrangler SRA 275/65/18

While it doesnt sound like my vibration is as bad as yours, I definitely have a vibration that is bad.

Mine comes when towing anything over say... 1,000lbs. From about 50mph on up, it vibrates bad. I bought mine with a tow package to tow my 4,500lb boat, which has approx 450lbs of tongue weight. So I am well within the specs of the 7700lb tow/500lb tongue max weights.

I have pulled my boat behind 3 other brand of trucks with no problem, which eliminated the boat as the problem. The first time I had it back to the dealer, they admitted it WAS the truck, and had the same problem when they hooked by boat up to 2 other trucks on their lot... after being told NOT to move my boat till I came back for it.

Like you, I am pissed as I have had it back 3 times, they know there is a problem... but I have been told "there is no fix, its just a characteristic of the truck". BS. I didnt buy a truck with a $41K sticker to hear excuses.

Ford has had vibration issues for a LONG time. Ive known about it since the mid to late 90's. BUT, I was told with this new "from the ground up" truck, that issue had been resolved. I know what is causing my vibration. The Wrangler SRA tires are JUNK. If you over inflate them to 50lbs psi, it takes about half the vibration out. They refused to put a new set of tires on, even knowing this. Now, with almost 30K miles (even though I had it back at less than 10K miles with these issues) they say its too late to replace tires. The other culprit is the lengthened rear leafs for a smoother ride. The sag too much and let the rear differential rotate too much, putting the driveshaft in a bind. Its going to shorten the life span of my entire drive train.

My issues:

1 - knock/internal noises in the motor, especially after towing it, then letting it idle. I can re-create this problem easily, dealer says they cant.
2 - vibrates bad @ speeds over 50mph when towing my 4500lb boat (now vibrates when not towing/hauling also due to it wearing out drive train components). Dealer has admitted there is a problem with the truck but says there is no fix and I have to live with it as a characteristic of the truck, even though it will ruin my drive train and shorten its lifespan.
3 - cab was installed ½" out of square from the factory and not lined up with the bed. Dealer actually fixed this.
4 - steering locks, then jerks free while driving like p/s motor is locking up. I can re-create this problem easily (and 3 others who have driven my truck can also) dealer says they cant.
5 - wearing the front tires on the inside from the traditional Ford "front end sag". This started at less than 10K miles. Dealer refused to do anything (like line the front end) without me paying for the alignment.
6 - clicking noise in the front end, when the rear end loses traction and slips just a little.... like a hub is half engaged. I can re-create this problem easily, dealer says they cant.
7 - wind whistling into the cab. I believe it is through the vent/blend door under the dash (see issue #12). Dealer said first time in shop it was my hood protector. I removed hood protector, still whistled. Third time in shop they said the windshield wasnt sealed right and that was the problem. Really? Then why wasnt this fixed the first time, rather than lying and saying it was the hood protector. A hood protector may cause a whistle OUTSIDE the truck, but in no way can it force air INTO the truck and cause a whistle in that fashion. I can re-create this problem easily (and have it on video where you can hear it whistle), but dealer says they cant.
8 - engine idles rough when cold and idles rough after motor warm now also. Engine flat out misses bad when cold. I can re-create this problem easily (and have it on video) dealer says they cant.
9 - transmission slip at cold start-up. I have to wait 5 seconds or more after starting when cold to put it in gear, or transmission will sit there and slip. (I can re-create this problem easily and have it on video, dealer says they cant)
10 – when lowering one of the back windows, there is a terrible vibration as if something is loose behind rear seat. This is just a **** poor design and air is being trapped behind the seat. Their suggestion... I have to drop a front window or open the sliding back window... anytime I want to open a back window, or the noise will beat your ear drums to death and shake the whole truck.
11- clanking noise in rear drive train. (I can re-create this problem easily, dealer says they cant)
12 - A/C is weak and has been since I originally test drove the truck. I told them when I test drove it, and when I had it back in the shop the first 2 times. They did nothing. Sometimes it takes 30min or more to get below 60 degrees @ the vent. It could be blend door (Item #7) isnt closing properly. I was told they started it and drove it and it pulled down to 57 degrees and that is within their specs. That is BS. You cannot cool off a vehicle with 57 degree air, and had I known how cheesy their “specs” are, I would never have bought the truck.
13 - Exhaust has small leak that can be heard under truck, and leaks water from 2 or 3 spots under truck consistently on cold starts... leaving puddles in the floor. I am told the exhaust has weep holes. Ok, fine, but that does nothing for the exhaust leak that I can hear, but for some odd reason... they cant.

I did my homework for almost 2yrs before I bought my truck, and am disgusted with the quality of truck I have, and the dealer's/Ford's apathetic approach to fixing a screwed up truck. I will never buy another Ford product, or recommend them to anyone. I wouldn’t wish all the lies and excuses I have received.... on my worst enemy. Its a shame we live in a society where we cant just get what we pay for. I am tired of hearing how great a product/service is... only to hear pathetic lies and excuses when something goes wrong. You cant convince me that they test these trucks the way they claim. There is NO WAY you cant test a truck, and have wide spread vibration (and other) problems unless you test them, and know about the problems.... but sweep them under the rug."

Whats a shame is, I would absolutely love my truck, if I wasnt everything was working proper. The sad thing is, even if they fixed the vibration now (@ almost 30K miles) the life of my drive train has already been greatly shortened from the damage.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Dropped off the truck today. They test drove it. Said yup. This is a bad vibration. We will keep it and call tech line again. Got another loaner. So....for all the "anti war" peeps, any suggestions on how to get a new truck since ford cannot fix this one. They cannot fix it yet. So why should I be stuck with a brand new vehicle they cannot fix? Suggestions?

Old 08-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Dude, dont let anyone here talk you out of doing what you feel you need to do. I do not condone frivolous law suits.... but I dont consider a man getting screwed on a $40K deal, a frivolous reason to sue.

You have had more patience than I would have. You shouldnt have had to endure anywhere near what you have. It sickens me what companies are allowed to get away with today.

All I can say is good luck no matter which you route you, and I wish you the best. As a customer who spent that kind of money on a product, you deserved better.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:29 PM
what's funny is when I cringe at taking my chances on a new EB Screw, people on this forum will say I am being unnecessarily paranoid since 100K's of these have shipped with a handful of problems, that complainers outnumber happy campers by 100 to 1, etc... but I never see those people address YOUR concerns and YOUR experiences.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:12 AM
I love the truck....except for the vibration issue. Yeah I've had a fewnother warranty items come up but I expect that. This situation however has really got me steamed. My best friend just picked up his2012 version of mine and no vibration at all....so I have no idea.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by RecoRepo
what's funny is when I cringe at taking my chances on a new EB Screw, people on this forum will say I am being unnecessarily paranoid since 100K's of these have shipped with a handful of problems, that complainers outnumber happy campers by 100 to 1, etc... but I never see those people address YOUR concerns and YOUR experiences.
I have to agree. Hell, even my cell phone carrier has their people on their Facebook page helping customers any way they can. Its easy to see why Ford doesnt have people on forums like this addressing these issues. You know Ford knows of these forums, but some of these issues are so bad and prevalent, that no excuse could allow them to sidestep the issues... so if they arent here... they dont have to be accountable.

Originally Posted by chris3058
I love the truck....except for the vibration issue. Yeah I've had a fewnother warranty items come up but I expect that. This situation however has really got me steamed. My best friend just picked up his2012 version of mine and no vibration at all....so I have no idea.
Brother, I absolutely LOVED my truck... when I first bought it. But the problems arose immediately, and so did the pathetic excuses from the dealer. The problem now is, they have ducked the problems for so long, that even if they fixed something like the vibration issue now... the long term damage has already been done as it even vibrates empty now due to damage from vibrating so bad & so long while towing.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:05 PM
So. Picked it up. Here's what the dealer said. They confirmed the vibration and said that it should not be doing it that badly. Called tech line who told them its normal for the vehicle. The service guys disagree and told them. So. No fix. The dealer also reflashed the PCM to a new version for my hesitation/ stutter going up hill on acceleration.

Dealer told me to call ford back and advise them of the status They are great and said they would support me 100%.

So now what? I feel like there is no option but to go to arbitration as ford is really dragging their heels on this and calling it normal, when it clearly isn't.

Opinions?

Old 08-15-2012, 06:10 PM
JMHO, and nothing personal..., BUT..

If the dealer actually WAS going to help and support, wouldnt THEY fix your truck and not make YOU contact Ford and do all their work for them? They say they will back you, but know sending you to Ford will gain you nothing.

Its a crying shame that these vehicles are sold for "new" with all these issues. ANd when you have the issues, the "we have no fix/its not throwing a code/we dont know what to do" can alleviate them of responsibility?

Quick Reply: Update on Vibration Issue 2011 FX4 SC, 6'5, EB