Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Upfitter wires

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upfitter wires

Hi Guys,

I recently took delivery of my 2012 F-150 and had an ARE canopy installed. In order to connect the 3rd brake light the shop ran a single wire from the rear of the truck to up under the hood and opened a factory wire bundle on the drivers side and tied into a wire that looks like it was previously blunt cut.

Does anyone know where to find a diagram and locations of blunt cut wires for future use? Could be handy to add some additional electrical accessories.

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no idea about the pass through wires.

I'm interested to hear if Ford has given this feature to the F-150 like the SD's get
Originally Posted by acanaman
to connect the 3rd brake light the shop ran a single wire from the rear of the truck to up under the hood and opened a factory wire bundle on the drivers side and tied into a wire that looks like it was previously blunt cut
why would they do something so STUPID?

they could have simply tied into one of your rear brake-lights. now you have 10-20 ft of wire that didn't need to be ran

Old 03-19-2012, 03:28 AM
While I am not happy with the routing of the wire I would rather they tied into the blunt cut wire than tied into the tail light wire. Reason being is that most shops that tie into existing wires use wire taps that work great until corrosion sets in and the wire breaks off. Then a repair which likely consists of two splices results.

I would really like to know what other blunt cut but function wires there are on my F150. It has to be documented somewhere!

Old 03-20-2012, 03:43 PM
The 3rd brake light wires on the F-150's are blunt cut and along the frame rail on the driver's side. If you can see it, your installer did a bad job...

Tylus, you cannot wire the 3rd brake light into the taillights on the F-150's like you can on other trucks without them blinking while a turn signal is on. Our trucks are wired very similar to a trailer. It can be done with a converter that hooks into both taillights, but I'd rather run a wire to the cab.

Quick Reply: Upfitter wires