2009 - 2014 F-150

Rough start, Query?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough start, Query?

For the last few weeks, my truck has been starting rough in the morning. Requiring several seconds of crank time before it will fire and run. Once started, the idle will go up to approx 2000 revs and then slowly settle to normal idle of about 600 ish after a few more seconds. This only happens in the morning as the rest of the starts during the day are just fine. Truck also seems to lag a bit in the lower rev / speed range - when I apply the throttle it pings a little and sound like it is starving for fuel.

I originally thought it was a bad tank of fuel as the symtoms started almost immediatley after fueling up at a station that I don't normally use. I have now, however, run that tank through and filled at my normal station and still experience the same challenges.

When starting in the morning, it certainly sounds and feels like a fuel issue, but I'm not sure if this is something others have experienced?

I have 2010 FX4, 5.4L

Next service is not for another couple thousand Km and the dealer won't be able to reproduce the problem as it starts fine after the initial bad start in the morning.

Thoughts?

Old 09-19-2011, 08:36 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
If you are under warranty, take it to the dealer and leave it overnight.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Hi10fx4blue! Did you find the problem?

Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by artgarcia
Hi10fx4blue! Did you find the problem?
I had the dealer look at it and all I got was the "Deer in Headlights" which didn't suprise me all that much. They did a diagnostic and no codes had been thrown.

Bottom line is after about 8 tanks of fuel the problem went away. The truck starts and runs perfect again and I have not had any problems since. I am attributing the problem to a really bad tank of gas. There must have been something in it that clogged something up and it just ran its course.

All good now and I am once again a happy camper!

Quick Reply: Rough start, Query?