2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone else's 2011 F150 AC system suck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is working great in this Florida Summer weather. It is life support.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
Mine blows very cold. There is a lot of space in a SC to cool though. When I was a tech, 20 degrees below ambient was the norm.........
I agree but the cooling issues are temps at the vents not the cab. My. Wife's 08 black edge blows 39-42 all the time at the vents. Also a lot of cab to cool. My 12 year old soft top wrangler blows 44 on hi ,low,recirc or fresh air and never varies

Old 08-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Checked mine .. it is blowing 40-42 at the vents. In fact, it cools so well that I never even run it on high.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Well ford engineers says that 50 to 55 degrees at the vents is normal and insisted that the dealership give me the truck back. The retrofit would not work for my application the service manager says that all the new trucks were like that and ford says no one complaining so there is nothing that can be done except wait till the 115 degree weather is over

Old 08-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Ice cold here

Old 08-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by F150 Man 4Eva
Ice cold here
Me too.
Mine blows 38.4* at the vents on Max A/C. About 41* on regular A/C.

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 4891
Size:  76.7 KB

Old 08-10-2012, 05:08 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Originally Posted by Streetglider07
Well ford engineers says that 50 to 55 degrees at the vents is normal and insisted that the dealership give me the truck back. The retrofit would not work for my application the service manager says that all the new trucks were like that and ford says no one complaining so there is nothing that can be done except wait till the 115 degree weather is over
Bullpoop.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:32 PM
My A/C is TERRIBLE! 57 on average, and it takes awhile to get there. They told me 57 is working just fine and within specs.

My issues:

1 - knock/internal noises in the motor, especially after towing it, then letting it idle. I can re-create this problem easily, dealer says they cant.
2 - vibrates bad @ speeds over 50mph when towing my 4500lb boat (now vibrates when not towing/hauling also due to it wearing out drive train components). Dealer has admitted there is a problem with the truck but says there is no fix and I have to live with it as a characteristic of the truck, even though it will ruin my drive train and shorten its lifespan.
3 - cab was installed ˝" out of square from the factory and not lined up with the bed. Dealer actually fixed this.
4 - steering locks, then jerks free while driving like p/s motor is locking up. I can re-create this problem easily (and 3 others who have driven my truck can also) dealer says they cant.
5 - wearing the front tires on the inside from the traditional Ford "front end sag". This started at less than 10K miles. Dealer refused to do anything (like line the front end) without me paying for the alignment.
6 - clicking noise in the front end, when the rear end loses traction and slips just a little.... like a hub is half engaged. I can re-create this problem easily, dealer says they cant.
7 - wind whistling into the cab. I believe it is through the vent/blend door under the dash (see issue #12). Dealer said first time in shop it was my hood protector. I removed hood protector, still whistled. Third time in shop they said the windshield wasnt sealed right and that was the problem. Really? Then why wasnt this fixed the first time, rather than lying and saying it was the hood protector. A hood protector may cause a whistle OUTSIDE the truck, but in no way can it force air INTO the truck and cause a whistle in that fashion. I can re-create this problem easily (and have it on video where you can hear it whistle), but dealer says they cant.
8 - engine idles rough when cold and idles rough after motor warm now also. Engine flat out misses bad when cold. I can re-create this problem easily (and have it on video) dealer says they cant.
9 - transmission slip at cold start-up. I have to wait 5 seconds or more after starting when cold to put it in gear, or transmission will sit there and slip. (I can re-create this problem easily and have it on video, dealer says they cant)
10 – when lowering one of the back windows, there is a terrible vibration as if something is loose behind rear seat. This is just a **** poor design and air is being trapped behind the seat. Their suggestion... I have to drop a front window or open the sliding back window... anytime I want to open a back window, or the noise will beat your ear drums to death and shake the whole truck.
11- clanking noise in rear drive train. (I can re-create this problem easily, dealer says they cant)
12 - A/C is weak and has been since I originally test drove the truck. I told them when I test drove it, and when I had it back in the shop the first 2 times. They did nothing. Sometimes it takes 30min or more to get below 60 degrees @ the vent. It could be blend door (Item #7) isnt closing properly. I was told they started it and drove it and it pulled down to 57 degrees and that is within their specs. That is BS. You cannot cool off a vehicle with 57 degree air, and had I known how cheesy their “specs” are, I would never have bought the truck.
13 - Exhaust has small leak that can be heard under truck, and leaks water from 2 or 3 spots under truck consistently on cold starts... leaving puddles in the floor. I am told the exhaust has weep holes. Ok, fine, but that does nothing for the exhaust leak that I can hear, but for some odd reason... they cant.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My exhaust sheds water on cold starts. I looked under the truck and can see where it is coming from, I'm good with it........
Have a slight uneven idle when cold for a minute or so......I'm good with it.
The only thing I don't like is when I hit the go pedal and it just does nothing for 2-3 seconds, then goes like hell. Wonder if it needs a re-flash?

Old 08-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
My exhaust sheds water on cold starts. I looked under the truck and can see where it is coming from, I'm good with it........
Have a slight uneven idle when cold for a minute or so......I'm good with it.
The only thing I don't like is when I hit the go pedal and it just does nothing for 2-3 seconds, then goes like hell. Wonder if it needs a re-flash?
all you need to do is calibrate the throttle peddle. it will make a big difference
heres the thread that tells you how to reset your throttle responce (Throttle lag trick! Takes 10 seconds!)

Last edited by blueovelboy; 08-13-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:04 PM
My question would be.... after paying all that money for the truck, if the fix is that simple, why should the consumer have to do itm and why hasnt the dealer done it while it was in the ship?

Old 08-15-2012, 03:55 PM
My A/C continues to astound me. I'm going to start a business where I hang beef and pork in the cab for the local butcher.

I get in the truck with a glass of milk and get out with ice cream!

Disney called and asked if they could store Walt's body in the rear seat.

I rolled down the window last week and now I'm a finalist for the Nobel prize for solving global warming.

Guys with 2011 F150's like to park next to me to cool down THEIR cabs.

I'm here all week...

Old 08-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by ajsturtz
My A/C continues to astound me. I'm going to start a business where I hang beef and pork in the cab for the local butcher.

I get in the truck with a glass of milk and get out with ice cream!

Disney called and asked if they could store Walt's body in the rear seat.

I rolled down the window last week and now I'm a finalist for the Nobel prize for solving global warming.

Guys with 2011 F150's like to park next to me to cool down THEIR cabs.

I'm here all week...
Careful there dude.

Karma can be a real beeeyatch.

My '10 XLT Scab blows 37*-39* on 100* humid, sunny daze and I'm nothing but grateful after reading about this crap.

And I only paid 37,000$ with no trade on the X-plan. With every option an XLT can have. No nav cept for my Garmin, which is what I wanted. And nav wasn't offered in the XLT's back then, anyhoo.

After 2 years, 7 months, I only owe another 16,000$ and KB sez it's worth over 28,000$. 16,000 miles on the clock.

So I'm happy, but wish these other guys were too.

Last edited by High-ster; 08-15-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Ive said it in other threads, but not here..

I LOVED my F150 when I bought it!! One of the last Tuxedo Black after the Japan Nuke incident.. a 5.0 that kicks ***, great mileage etc...

I paid $32,400 after incentives for a loaded XLT that had a sticker of $41K I believe.

But damn... my truck is turning into a POS.... a $32K POS!!!

I just want what I paid for... a truck in new condition with no problems!!

Old 08-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by SilverFox66
My A/C is TERRIBLE! 57 on average, and it takes awhile to get there. They told me 57 is working just fine and within specs.

My issues:

1 - knock/internal noises in the motor, especially after towing it, then letting it idle. I can re-create this problem easily, dealer says they cant.
2 - vibrates bad @ speeds over 50mph when towing my 4500lb boat (now vibrates when not towing/hauling also due to it wearing out drive train components). Dealer has admitted there is a problem with the truck but says there is no fix and I have to live with it as a characteristic of the truck, even though it will ruin my drive train and shorten its lifespan.
3 - cab was installed ˝" out of square from the factory and not lined up with the bed. Dealer actually fixed this.
4 - steering locks, then jerks free while driving like p/s motor is locking up. I can re-create this problem easily (and 3 others who have driven my truck can also) dealer says they cant.
5 - wearing the front tires on the inside from the traditional Ford "front end sag". This started at less than 10K miles. Dealer refused to do anything (like line the front end) without me paying for the alignment.
6 - clicking noise in the front end, when the rear end loses traction and slips just a little.... like a hub is half engaged. I can re-create this problem easily, dealer says they cant.
7 - wind whistling into the cab. I believe it is through the vent/blend door under the dash (see issue #12). Dealer said first time in shop it was my hood protector. I removed hood protector, still whistled. Third time in shop they said the windshield wasnt sealed right and that was the problem. Really? Then why wasnt this fixed the first time, rather than lying and saying it was the hood protector. A hood protector may cause a whistle OUTSIDE the truck, but in no way can it force air INTO the truck and cause a whistle in that fashion. I can re-create this problem easily (and have it on video where you can hear it whistle), but dealer says they cant.
8 - engine idles rough when cold and idles rough after motor warm now also. Engine flat out misses bad when cold. I can re-create this problem easily (and have it on video) dealer says they cant.
9 - transmission slip at cold start-up. I have to wait 5 seconds or more after starting when cold to put it in gear, or transmission will sit there and slip. (I can re-create this problem easily and have it on video, dealer says they cant)
10 – when lowering one of the back windows, there is a terrible vibration as if something is loose behind rear seat. This is just a **** poor design and air is being trapped behind the seat. Their suggestion... I have to drop a front window or open the sliding back window... anytime I want to open a back window, or the noise will beat your ear drums to death and shake the whole truck.
11- clanking noise in rear drive train. (I can re-create this problem easily, dealer says they cant)
12 - A/C is weak and has been since I originally test drove the truck. I told them when I test drove it, and when I had it back in the shop the first 2 times. They did nothing. Sometimes it takes 30min or more to get below 60 degrees @ the vent. It could be blend door (Item #7) isnt closing properly. I was told they started it and drove it and it pulled down to 57 degrees and that is within their specs. That is BS. You cannot cool off a vehicle with 57 degree air, and had I known how cheesy their “specs” are, I would never have bought the truck.
13 - Exhaust has small leak that can be heard under truck, and leaks water from 2 or 3 spots under truck consistently on cold starts... leaving puddles in the floor. I am told the exhaust has weep holes. Ok, fine, but that does nothing for the exhaust leak that I can hear, but for some odd reason... they cant.
I will say that #10 happens in almost every new vehicle I'm in. Its a result of having a tightly sealed cabin. I've been in Dodge trucks, GM trucks, and they all air-hammer when you open a single window. It even talks about it in the owner's manual. My truck also does #6, but it is supposed to as part of the stability control. It is the anti-lock braking system activating to help prevent fishtailing and loss of control. My 09 did it, my 2012 does it. #9 - The 6 speed electronic transmission does a LOT of software checking during startups. Personally I seldom have the need to throw it into gear quickly after startup, since I crank, then put on my seatbelt. Transmission always shifts immediately. Maybe a routine change and it won't be an issue for you in the future.

Find a new dealer, the one you are using is burnt up, and you aren't going to get good service out of them. Also, I wouldn't go into the new dealer with a long shopping list. Let them address a few items, and if they are successful, let them fix your other complaints. Ford won't be able to solve all of the problems on your list, if you can't live with it, trade or sell the vehicle. Good luck!

-Andy

Quick Reply: Anyone else's 2011 F150 AC system suck?