2009 - 2014 F-150

Intake Valve deposit problems with DI engines(?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake Valve deposit problems with DI engines(?)

This is a thread that was started over on FTE, and I figured I'd give it a little more exposure to see whether or not the problems Audi & VW are having with their DI engines are a risk to the Ford DI EB engine as well.

Here is the original post on FTE:
I have been thinking that direct injection on the EcoBoost and other engines from all manufacturers was the best thing since sliced bread (aside from the issues of higher fuel pump pressure, etc.).

However, I have been poking around the Internet and there is apparently a generic problem with direct injection engines where the intake valves get gummed up with PCV (crankcase fumes) and EGR gunk. Traditional port-injection engines have gas and it's additives moving over the intake valves and keeping them clean (or mostly clean), but with DI engines, this doesn't happen.

It looks like Audi and VW have been having the most serious problems. If you google "direct injection engine intake valve deposits" you will definitely find a whole bunch of links on the problem. And some really ugly photos of intake valves...

Toyota, I think, has a partial solution in that they do use a separate injector in the intake port (as well as the one in the combustion chamber) that does some of the work and intake valve cleaning.

Just pondering whether this is going to be any kind of issue with the EB motors. I'm guessing that as an engine ages and has more blowby, the PCV valve deposits will get somewhat more problematic.

(Full thread here: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...i-engines.html)

Some other useful links on the topic:
http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3990
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...ost-technology

I know the EB has been out longer in the Taurus & Flex than the F150, and so far, seem to be performing relatively well. Is there something Ford did different in the engineering of the EB engine that Audi/VW did not do, or is the EB still too new where these same problems could become a reality once the miles start stacking up?

Just looking for some perspective from the more technically inclined here as to whether or not there are some real issues that early EB adopters may eventually have to deal with. The answer could be that the EB is a more sensitive engine requiring greater care and maintenance from the perspective of running more frequent fuel additives to keep things clean, almost like what the diesel guys should be doing to keep performance at optimum levels.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:43 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Think about it - how are fuel additives going to keep the intake clean? I can see where it's going to need solvent down the intake.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Think about it - how are fuel additives going to keep the intake clean? I can see where it's going to need solvent down the intake.
seafoam through the vacuum system would probably do the trick

Old 04-30-2011, 09:37 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
A BG or Motorvac job would be a lot safer.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by marshal
seafoam through the vacuum system would probably do the trick
A staple among Audi and VW tuners

Old 04-30-2011, 11:46 PM
Ford did engineer some small changes to combat 'dirty valves' from Direct Injection. Although all the 5.4 and 5.0 ******* would have you believe that the ecoboost is going to need a valve cleaning every 10,000miles.

There has also been some differences in N/A DI engines and turbo DI, seems the N/A engines are the ones that get dirty more... could be the air force coming in keeping the carbon going out the exhaust valve like it should.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Work it hard by towing heavy and use top tier gas that was the advice from the Ford engineer

Quick Reply: Intake Valve deposit problems with DI engines(?)