2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can I disable my DRL's on my 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TX Chris
Anyways. Since you're obviously a bit ignorant on the subject, not all HID's are the same. You can buy HID lights in different color temps for different effects - the "tools" you reference are (in my mind) the guys that have colored/offensive lights.

If adding HID's for more effective lighting makes you a tool, then what does a lift kit and 35's that'll never see dirt make most of this forum?
Thanks for the backup, and I agree on the 35's and lifted comment! Money well spent!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:54 PM
I totally agree with 2007 Loaded FX4. I ordered HID's yesterday as well and plan to install in my 2010 XTR this weekend. Money well spent IMHO.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyways. Since you're obviously a bit ignorant on the subject, not all HID's are the same. You can buy HID lights in different color temps for different effects - the "tools" you reference are (in my mind) the guys that have colored/offensive lights.

If adding HID's for more effective lighting makes you a tool, then what does a lift kit and 35's that'll never see dirt make most of this forum?
Ignorant? I think you are because you obviously have no idea how optics work. The temps do noting but change the color. HIDs in stock halogen reflectors do not give you "more effective lighting" it increases glare to oncoming drivers and you actually LOSE controlled light. The only increase is luminous efficacy (google it if you don't know what that means). If you want to reply some smart-**** comment, be sure to read my write-ups for tools like you before you think you know what you're talking about.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/il...ns-v-hids.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/il...ulb-guide.html

Originally Posted by 2007 Loaded FX4
Yes im 12 with a $60,000 truck! Blow me and go bash on someone else's thread!
I'm not bashing- I'm corrected the misunderstood.

Last edited by Raptor05121; 03-21-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:20 PM
I should have clairified my answer in post #17.....I am "retro fitting" my 2010 F150 with a Stage III FX-R kit from The Retro Source. it will be here this week and hope to install over the weekend. Thanks to Raptor 05121 for the write-ups and info regarding HID's. there will certainly be NO PNP HID's in my ride. there is certainly some good info on this site.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by fishnmagician
I should have clairified my answer in post #17.....I am "retro fitting" my 2010 F150 with a Stage III FX-R kit from The Retro Source. it will be here this week and hope to install over the weekend. Thanks to Raptor 05121 for the write-ups and info regarding HID's. there will certainly be NO PNP HID's in my ride. there is certainly some good info on this site.
thank you for joining the "sensible" group. Let me know when you are finished and I will be sure to add you to >>our list of retrofitters (click me)<<<.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:42 PM

Lift kits and 35's don't impair the visibility of oncoming traffic and put the safety of other drivers at risk, cheap aftermarket HID's do. Blue, blue/white, or green, obnoxious glare is obnoxious glare, so temp really doesn't matter here and isn't the "tool" aspect of the situation. Worrying more about personal appearance than the safety of innocent strangers is. I have no beef with HID's as long drivers do the right thing and go the retrofit route that Raptor speaks of. If that's out of their price range, at least put those HID's in the fog lamps, and turn them off when approaching traffic. I did this with my 2005, and it was a great solution.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyCashAK
Lift kits and 35's don't impair the visibility of oncoming traffic and put the safety of other drivers at risk, cheap aftermarket HID's do. Blue, blue/white, or green, obnoxious glare is obnoxious glare, so temp really doesn't matter here and isn't the "tool" aspect of the situation. Worrying more about personal appearance than the safety of innocent strangers is. I have no beef with HID's as long drivers do the right thing and go the retrofit route that Raptor speaks of. If that's out of their price range, at least put those HID's in the fog lamps, and turn them off when approaching traffic. I did this with my 2005, and it was a great solution.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:58 AM
I couldnt care less about others people safety, I just want everyone to see me coming and turn their heads and look at my sick a$$ truck
If they run into a ditch immediatly after I might be in a good mood enough to turn around and pull them out with the help of my 6" and 35s

Old 03-23-2011, 01:00 AM
I'am completely joking but yes I do have HID's put their more white then blue, they help me see alot better and don't blind other drivers soo I really don't see the harm or seeing myself as a "tool"

Old 03-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by 2010fx4
I'am completely joking but yes I do have HID's put their more white then blue, they help me see alot better and don't blind other drivers soo I really don't see the harm or seeing myself as a "tool"
Agreed!

Old 03-24-2011, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by 2010fx4
How do you know you aren't blinding people? And of course you don't see the harm, you aren't on the receiving end. But then again I like seeing people like you on the road, it gives me something to laugh at:

Notice the beam cuts straight through the truck in front and completely washes it out

Old 03-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Most HIDs would only be an improvement if you put them in overhead offroad lights that aren't used on the street. The regular headlights that are used on the road usually just blind everyone else. I'm in a tall truck and I still get flooded with light, it pisses me off, I'd hate to be in a car. If you put in one of the kits with the projectors, make sure they are pointed in the right direction. I've seen people where even though they have the lenses the beam is still above the regular pattern. The HIDs in the fog lights are a good alternative until you are in fog and need a low beam. Then you just defeated the purpose of the fog lights.

I'm gonna stick with my good 'ol halogens for my main driving lights because I know that terrestrial mammalian eyes like ours developed in sunlight, which has a yellowish tint not blue.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
What are you, 12? All those HIDs did is make you look like a complete tool.
YAY! POT AND KETTLE! HOORAAAY! Finally together again.

Kidding OP.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:49 PM
Disable DRL on a 2011 F150 Limited

I have a 2011 F-150 with a 6.2 liter engine. I am in CANADA and I want to DISABLE my DRL.
Please, I don't want to hear the why's and why nots, the I do this's and I do that's.
I want a solid response related ONLY to my question of how do I disable my Day Time Running lights.
Thank You

Old 07-14-2019, 10:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 2007 Loaded FX4
I've looked in the manual, i cant seem to find a fuse to pull to disable the DRL's, anyone have a suggestion?
There were some threads about the DRLs about 7or 8 years ago. The US version of the F-150 doesn't have them but the Canadian versions do. There's a plug in part (a relay?) that is mounted under the dash mat that is only installed in the Canadian models. I don't recall if there were any other changes but that's the only one that I remember. You should be able to search for the thread(s) and find it.

Quick Reply: Can I disable my DRL's on my 2011?