2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Are you going to "Mod" your Ecoboost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shootin4themoon
This applies to all engines, not just EcoBoost.
You are correct.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
I used to work as a Service Manager. If you come in to have a CEL checked and the Tech notices a CAI on the vehicle, they will not cover the diagnostic and/or repair under warranty. It's that simple.

If your F150 run's lean due to a CAI or bad tune, you burn a hole in your piston or cause other damage, you lose your warranty on the part of the vehicle that was affected by the modification. Engine powertrain, emissions, etc.

The Mangnuson-Moss Act protect's all vehicle consumers. Is it worth it to sue a vehicle manufacturer over them refusing to warranty a specific item? Most of us on this forum do not have that kind of money to fight it. It all comes down to one thing, if you mod your vehicle you take a chance at losing all or a portion of your manufacturer's warranty.

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../11frdwa5e.pdf

Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis,
or components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor
Company
• tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or
with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not
limited to exhaust and intake systems)
• the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part (other than
a certified emissions part) or any part (Ford or non-Ford) designed
for off-road use only installed after the vehicle leaves the control of
Ford Motor Company, if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part
to fail. Examples include, but are not limited to lift kits, oversized
tires, roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems, automatic starting
systems and performance-enhancing powertrain components or
software and performance ‘‘chips’’

The CEL can be easily cleared by buying a scanner to read the codes and clear it. This is why anyone who has some mechanical knowledge will never go to a Dealer to have service work done.

A CAI burning a hole in the piston?? That's some CAI.

With a good tune, the Ecoboost should make good power. Especially with just a tune for 93, as stock is for 87 octane. The bottom end is pretty stout on the Ecoboost, so I see good results from tuning, even just exhaust to let the Turbos breath.

Last edited by BlackCobra99Va; 03-11-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:46 PM
I had a customer that removed his factory CAI and it illuminated the CEL when his wife was driving enthusiasticly in traffic, etc. The husband had thrown out the factory CAI and the wife was ticked off because he was deployed and she had to purchase a new factory set-up to keep from throwing a CEL due to a lean condition found on the diagnostic.

She was miffed at her husband for adding a aftermarket part that partially voided the factory warranty. It wasn't covered under manufacturer warranty due to the aftermarket part.

I'm not saying the CAI burned a hole in the piston. I was referring to the fact that any damage caused by a lean condition due to a aftermarket part is not going to be covered under ANY maintenace plan/warranty. Factory or otherwise.

We take that risk any time we mod our vehicles. Some dealers will work with you and other's will not. I wouldn't risk it with the current economy. You may end up paying out of your own pocket.

Just my thoughts... Nothing else...

Old 03-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The wife said what?

My take is if your going to mod the truck, your taking the responsibility for it with proof or no-proof that what you did caused a problem. Ford designed it that way for a reason. Just sold my 1999 SD and ordered a new EcoBoost. The SD had never been to the shop for anything except recalls. 180,000 miles on it and it ran as good as the day I took delivery when I sold it. It wasn't hacked/jacked or "tuned" by Bubba Bad Wrench and his friends so it made it allot eaiser to sell too.

Quick Reply: Are you going to "Mod" your Ecoboost?