2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Window Defroster & Mirrors: Note.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 F150 - Rear defrost switch built into the window

So my heated mirrors and rear defrost started to work intermittently then one day stopped altogether. I had bought the extended service plan with ford so I figured something like this would for sure be covered. I took it in and they determined it was the switch for the rear defrost that was broken and as someone else mentioned its built into the glass and the only way to fix this is to replace the entire rear window.

The exciting part was when they said this was not covered and quoted me $1400!!! I purchased the premium extended service plan because they said just about everything was covered. I laughed at the quote and the battle began. I went to Ford directly and they did nothing!! All they kept saying was this part is not covered and you need to replace the entire window.

I went back to the dealership that sold me the service plan and they said they would see if they could do anything. A few days later they came back and said Ford would cover $1000 worth, I laughed again and said no way. He went back to Ford again and finally Ford agreed to cover the entire cost.

So needless to say it’s a very poor design, but if you have the same problem be persistent and don’t let ford take your $$$.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:09 PM
Fight Ford on this one, should be covered under warranty

Repeat Entry

Last edited by Ozman84; 02-10-2015 at 12:32 PM. Reason: repeat entry
Old 02-16-2015, 09:47 AM
I'm not going to take sides here(mostly because at the moment, mine works fine) but, if you think about it, IS there a GOOD way to make a defrost-able heated window that opens, and will work perfectly for hundreds of thousands of miles in all climates, and be "cheap enough" for a vehicle that is mass-produced for the hoy-paloy?

Old 08-25-2015, 08:30 AM
2010 XLT SCREW, just started to have the same problem but no more warranty left. I don't really need the rear window defroster but I do use the side mirror defroster a lot. Does anyone know of a way that I can complete the circuit so the system comes on for just the mirrors? I don't really want to spend $400+ to fix the problem.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by bawana
I'm not going to take sides here(mostly because at the moment, mine works fine) but, if you think about it, IS there a GOOD way to make a defrost-able heated window that opens, and will work perfectly for hundreds of thousands of miles in all climates, and be "cheap enough" for a vehicle that is mass-produced for the hoy-paloy?
Yes there is a way. Wire each rear glass panel separately! Relying on a sliding window to complete contact is pure nonsense.

Of coarse an even dumber idea is tying the mirrors into this foolish system!

If you can't tell already, mine quite working too!

Old 08-31-2015, 07:27 AM
I was hoping the spend some time this weekend to try and fix it but.... my work called.
I did manage to test the mirrors. With the engine running, I pressed the defrost button on the dash to activate the system. The light didn't come on but my laser thermometer showed that the defrost in the mirrors did come on. This morning while driving into work, my mirrors were fogging a bit. I pressed the defrost button and it worked on the mirrors but still no light on the dash button. Just an FYI, I confirmed while testing, that if the engine is not running (even with the key all the way forward) that the system does not come on.
Hopefully I'll have some time this week or this weekend to troubleshoot the rear window.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:59 PM
my 2014 fx4 is in the shop as we speak for this issue. I ran it by one of the service guys about the rear window itself being defective and troublesome and he said that was new to him. my heated mirrors will heat up but my led on rear defroster do not work as well as rear window defoster

Old 02-01-2016, 01:26 AM
Defrost window

Originally Posted by joe51
WTF! Time to lawyer up!
I'm not going to advise you of lawyer time!! But new dealer time that's for sure. Buddy I'm going through it right now again for the second time In 1 1/2 years two windows and roof liners. I'm not happy about it but my DEALER is really looking after me..... Doesn't solve the problem but at least there trying their best... So I feel your pain. But WTF it is what it is.. I still love my truck and still will on keeping to buy them.. Fords that is!! That's just my choice. But yes it sucks when you pay very good money and this happens!!! I truly think you need a real good talk with your dealer about the way there not going about it... Good luck with that problem I feel your pain....

Old 02-01-2016, 12:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AntzFreshWhip
my 2014 fx4 is in the shop as we speak for this issue. I ran it by one of the service guys about the rear window itself being defective and troublesome and he said that was new to him. my heated mirrors will heat up but my led on rear defroster do not work as well as rear window defoster
Everything is always new to the SA's these days... lol.

I would think this would be covered as it is after all an electrical issue not a glass issue in my mind. It's not like you are trying to fix a rock chip under warranty.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:47 PM
Lol I just left my dealer ship and my pickup will be done tomorrow they said... A don't let them fool you that rear window is definitely defective. And it is covered under your warranty . But they have to remove the hole back inside of the pickup to change it.... That's who it's done. Sorry for the crap news . And I have a brand new lariat. And I'm on number two window and roof liner... And the dealer said its covered till I get rid of the truck because it's ongoing problem.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:32 PM
That's good they will cover it, not good doing it multiple times. As I said in the other thread on this I just cleaned the contact area on mine, what I could reach with a cloth. Never had any problems but, I turn it off when the mirrors are clear (all I really care about anyway) so hopefully not overheating the rear window.
I like the bypass idea jjmlll but so far nobody has done it that I can find.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:13 PM
Hello my man.. I just got my pickup truck back from the dealership and it looks great. The liner the window and tint all good. Now let's see how long it lasts lol.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:05 AM
Hopefully you are good and can get back to enjoying your truck

Old 02-05-2016, 03:04 AM
Originally Posted by RedWoodsMan1
Hopefully you are good and can get back to enjoying your truck
he hoped that your doing good? Yeah my truck is all good now!!! Hopefully that's it for that problem. Will see. Yeah I was thinking about it that's number 3 window...... The original won and the 2 replacement 😳 Damm I hope that's it.... I have all the paperwork from the beginning of the problem... I hope that's it for me.. How's your truck bean for you??? Hopefully better than us window guys lol

Old 02-06-2016, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by RedWoodsMan1
Everything is always new to the SA's these days... lol.

I would think this would be covered as it is after all an electrical issue not a glass issue in my mind. It's not like you are trying to fix a rock chip under warranty.
Good morning... I'm glad to say that I have got my truck back this week... With a new window and liner.. It was all covered by warranty. Now I can injoiy my truck again. Pain in the *** for the inconvenience but it's taking care of..... I didn't even think about it but that's number 3 window!! The riganal won + two replacements.. Sweet I don't even have time to clean it that it has to be replace... Lol . I hope that at the end of the day we can all just laugh about it.. As long as they fixed the problem right......

Quick Reply: Rear Window Defroster & Mirrors: Note.