2009 - 2014 F-150

Tailgate backup camera in the rain.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailgate backup camera in the rain.

I drove to work in the rain this morning. Prepared to back into an empty parking spot watching my NavSYNC display for the usual nice clear sharp image of what's behind me. All I see is a useless fuzzy blob image.

Conclusion. The lens on the tailgate backup camera needs its own windshield wiper!

I was able to park very cautiously using the old reliable side view and rear view mirrors. How inconvienient. The alternative is to get out in the rain with a rag and clean the road spray off the lens before backing up.

Last edited by SailorDon; 07-21-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:23 AM
I've had the same issue, but I found if you keep it clean and waxed the water will not be as bad

Old 07-20-2010, 12:46 PM
I've had that happen but not every time it rains. I think red is right. If you keep it clean, there's less of a chance water will accumulate on it.

With the backup camera and the big trailoring mirriors, I get a good view of what's behind me (as long as I don't get in a hurry and forget to use them).

Old 07-20-2010, 02:28 PM
The blurred backup camera image seems to be worse in light rain when the road spray gets sucked up on the tailgate. In heavy rain, the continuous flow of "fresh" rainwater helps to wash off the dirty road spray.

Either way, when it's raining, I don't rely on the backup camera image for precise parking when backing into a parking spot. I'd be likely to hit something with the blurred and distorted image.

It really needs a windshield wiper for the rear view camera lens in the rain.

Last edited by SailorDon; 07-20-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:19 AM
I tend it hit the lens as I clean the windows - I use the InvisiGlass with rain repellant.....I don't have any issues with the rain and camera.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:10 AM
I've been using Turtle Wax ClearVue on my truck windows and mirrors, but never thought to try it on the backup camera lens. I'll try it first since I've got some handy. If that doesn't work, next try will be InvisGlass with rain repellant. Thanks for the tip.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be careful with rain repellants. If the lense is polycarbonate (plastic) the repellant may cause the lens to cloud (over time). Some repellants are not meant to be used on plastic (i.e., motorcyle windshields, headlight housings, etc.).

Old 07-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Some repellants are not meant to be used on plastic (i.e., motorcyle windshields, headlight housings, etc.).
That's a good point. I'll start with some water repellant that I bought for the face shield on my motorcycle helmet. It never worked very well on the face shield. The rain still beaded up. So I have an almost full bottle of stuff that maybe will work on the camera lens. It won't cost me anything to try it.

If that doesn't work, maybe I will spit on the lens like SCUBA divers spit on their face masks.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:42 PM
I've had that problem for years... The last 3 full sizers have not had back up cameras.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by GreenBuck50
I've had that problem for years... The last 3 full sizers have not had back up cameras.

I was thinking the same. I'm just jealous...

OP, But like others have said, maybe a water repellent? I use rain-x on all my windows and mirrors, works well.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisT

OP, But like others have said, maybe a water repellent? I use rain-x on all my windows and mirrors, works well.
Most posts on HDForum say not to use Rain-X on Harley Davidson windshields. It will make the clear plastic turn cloudy.

Using that logic, if the backup camera lens is plastic, the Rain-X will make it turn cloudy.

There are water repellents made for plastic, so maybe I'll skip the Turtle Wax ClearVue and go right to the repellent for plastic face shields on motorcycle helmets.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I think you just need to get busy and invent a little tiny add on wiper. You will get rich!

Old 07-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Option 53W, Rear Camera MicroWiper w/Heated Fluid

Originally Posted by Bluejay
I think you just need to get busy and invent a little tiny add on wiper. You will get rich!
Nice, get to it! How many delay intervals will it have? And will it shoot heated washer fluid?

I've actually never had an issue with mine, and I don't do anything to it when I wash my truck. In fact, I try to avoid that area if possible because I don't want to scratch whatever covers the lens and then not be able to see with it anymore.

Just don't go crazy and start developing wipers for something completely useless, like the headlights... ... wait a sec, someone already did that years ago. Every time I see a vehicle with wipers on the headlights I get this crazy urge to break 'em off! So stupid!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
Just don't go crazy and start developing wipers for something completely useless, like the headlights... ... wait a sec, someone already did that years ago. Every time I see a vehicle with wipers on the headlights I get this crazy urge to break 'em off! So stupid!
Those are actually very nice depending where you are. Been lots of times I've had to stop on the side of the road to clean my headlights because of the mud mist coming off the roads in wet conditions. Had to use snow to clean them in the winter before when I had water in my truck.

I have the same issue with my back up camera. Drive a lot of gravel and dirt roads and with all the rain we've had lately I'm cleaning that lens every day almost...I just rub the dirt off with my finger though. Thought it was a glass lens not poly. Gonna be more careful now so I don't scratch it!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by SailorDon
If that doesn't work, maybe I will spit on the lens like SCUBA divers spit on their face masks.
That only works for so long.....toothpaste (normal, not jel) works good inside the mask.

Quick Reply: Tailgate backup camera in the rain.