2009 - 2014 F-150

Backflip HD.....Testing my Patience!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too will give credit to Julian. He is personally responsible for BakFlip's reputation, in my eyes.

I'm not thrilled with my experience but lets face it, you can't expect every single cover to be perfect every time. While I don't yet have my new cover, I sure do have hope again in the system. I'll post back to rave about the product again once its here (which should be any day).

Old 04-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ajaj
First thing.....LOTS OF ALUM FILINGS........EVERYWHERE INCLUDING WITHIN SECTION SEALS/HINGES AND SOME STILL EMBEDDED IN MY HANDS!
I had a *lot* of very sharp aluminum shards all over my seals. They are difficult to remove as they seem to have an affinity for the seal material. But far more aggravating was that the cut aluminum pieces (and there are a lot of them) were not de-burred at the factory. Whoever made the cuts either had a very dull blade or they forced the blade through the aluminum with too much pressure, they are very sharp and jagged. I had to spend extra time going around and filing the sharp edges off. Had I not done this it would have cut through the vinyl coating on the latch trip wires and frayed the wires.

I am also not fond of the aluminum clamps that hold the whole thing down by clamping the aluminum rails to the top of the perimeter of the bed. They are too big and the last one by the tailgate doesn't fit properly. To be fair, this is probably a combination of a clamp that is a marginal fit and a bed that Ford does not keep very tight tolerances on.

But when I called the factory to inquire about a solution the rep said he would have an engineer call me back. I left my phone number (and had him read it back to me to insure my call was returned to the proper number) but the call never came.

And don't believe the weight specification for this product. I weighed mine and it was *way* over the claimed weight. I am a technical person and I believe specifications should reflect actual values. They also claim it doesn't leak but it is obvious to me that the design is only intended to keep *most* of the water out, not all of it. I live in the Pacific Northwest and drive through mountain rainstorms at highway speeds. I am not going to waste my time installing supplemental seals because I can see it will never be completely water-tight.

All-in-all, the product is workable and looks very nice but I have lost faith in the company. I simply cannot believe what they say.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 PM
I have a bakflip and it has the same issues as others have had. Filings, scratched seals as in the pics of the attached link, etc.

Its not the best looking thing out there but it does the job of keeping my stuff secure and its certainly not worth the effort to ship it back or anything like that.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:56 AM
I had a Bakflip on my 2007 and it showed up with scuffed seals. A call to Bak Industries resulted in another set of seals sent free of charge immediately. This level of customer service led me to ordering another Bakflip for my 2010 F150.

The product design is flat out awesome. Gives full access to the bed, sits inside the bed rails and flat, removes quickly, water tight with a tiny bit of work and excellent customer service to the individual purchaser. Things may not be perfect but it's the best I've come across. Just my $.02 but the fact I just spent another $600 and change for the second time should IMHO speak volumes...

Old 04-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Justi
The product design is flat out awesome. Gives full access to the bed, sits inside the bed rails and flat, removes quickly, water tight with a tiny bit of work and excellent customer service to the individual purchaser. Things may not be perfect but it's the best I've come across. Just my $.02 but the fact I just spent another $600 and change for the second time should IMHO speak volumes...
x2

I've had my Ford OEM Bakflip for about 3 weeks now and I'm VERY happy with it. It did have a small scuff on one of the side seals but nothing worth worrying about. Even after going through a high pressure touchless wash I get very little water in the bed. I mentioned this to BAK earlier in the week and Julian is sending me out a set of weather seals that should fix any minor leaks at the front and back.

Overall, I'm very happy with the cover and service from BAK.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:03 PM
I installed a BakFlip HD on my 06 Screw and I had no metal shavings and the install went very smooth. I have a Line-X Ultra liner and this made it very easy. I have had some minor water come in (running through a car wash), but nothing dramatic. I did not install the drain tubes as I did not want to drill through the Line-X.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I just bought a G2 BakFlip from Ebay Thursday. Got a good deal, I think, $595.00 free shipping. Can't wait to get it in so I can put in on.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by tbraquet
I just bought a G2 BakFlip from Ebay Thursday. Got a good deal, I think, $595.00 free shipping. Can't wait to get it in so I can put in on.
Hey when you get it on can you post a pic? We have virtually the same truck and I wanna see how it would look on my truck

Old 05-01-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kirch3333
Hey when you get it on can you post a pic? We have virtually the same truck and I wanna see how it would look on my truck
You bet.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kirch3333
Here are some pics of my BakFlip. I just got it today and installed it in about 45 minutes. I will take some more in the daylight.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by tbraquet
Here are some pics of my BakFlip. I just got it today and installed it in about 45 minutes. I will take some more in the daylight.

Looks great man! Thanks for the pics!

Old 05-07-2010, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by 5111
Your experience, and others like it, are really making me have second thoughts about a BakFlip. I love the idea, but not so sure if it will work out. I CANNOT have a bed cover that leaks. I really don't like the look of the fiberglass ones on our model, but it may be the only reliable choice. I think that the Jason tonneau that I have on my 04 is a POS, but it has never once leaked.

There's other reliable choices. http://www.foldacover.com/

Old 05-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by mxracer49
There's other reliable choices. http://www.foldacover.com/
The only problem i see with the Fold-a-Cover is it doesn't fold all the way up like the Bakflip. The front portion of your bed cannot be utilized to haul larger items. Might not be be an issue for people with the longer beds, but us guys with the 5.5' bed cant spare much room.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:16 AM
RCB
Just installed my bakflip today and it seems to fit great (minus a little trim work on the bed liner on the tailgate...) but nothing major at all. I still need to look at Steve's pic to see how to finish the drain line. That part doesn't look too fun as I was looking at how to do it without removing the bed liner. I had just a few shavings in my box too. Thanks for the recommendation Steve!

Old 05-09-2010, 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by RCB
Just installed my bakflip today and it seems to fit great (minus a little trim work on the bed liner on the tailgate...) but nothing major at all. I still need to look at Steve's pic to see how to finish the drain line. That part doesn't look too fun as I was looking at how to do it without removing the bed liner. I had just a few shavings in my box too. Thanks for the recommendation Steve!
Can someone please post some picks trimming the Bed Liner.
How much do you have to cut out?

looks like you have to trim the tailgate liner too?

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Backflip HD.....Testing my Patience!