2009 - 2014 F-150

Found the Speed Limit for 2010's

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found the Speed Limit for 2010's

I had my 2010 Lariat Screw on Virginia International Raceway this weekend for a NASA driving instructor event. Since it was just instructors on track I figured why not use the truck and see how fast it would go. It gets up to 96mph pretty quick and then hits a brick wall, but it was a ton of fun going through the uphill esses and rocketing out of oak tree! Tranny still takes too long to downshift when you give it the boot, but it's great truck! Working on getting the track pictures scanned....

Old 02-26-2010, 09:16 PM
LOL.

Actually I never thought of that. Will pick mine up in a few days. Doesn't sould like they're screamers!

At least I don't have to worry about that space/time continuum thing.

ks

Old 02-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ksks
LOL.

Actually I never thought of that. Will pick mine up in a few days. Doesn't sould like they're screamers!

At least I don't have to worry about that space/time continuum thing.

ks
@ Space/time!

They can be - all this is, is the factory speed limiter, and compounded by the very conservative WOT shift points - determined by the ratings of the tires.

I reached this easily in 2nd gear during my datalogging runs (on-road)

5784.81 rpm 96.1 mph (rev limiter starting to take effect)

Custom tuning will remove the speed limiter, extend the power band and you'll see a buck-20 plus, easily, depending on yer overall final ratio.

Plus - it will fix all yer shifting quirks and help yer tranny live due to reduction of slip = less heat.

You will need better tires though

Good luck & stay safe.

Cheers
MGD v4.1

Old 02-26-2010, 09:53 PM
BTW, the 2012 Ford Focus will have a Power Shift 6 speed auto. This has 2 clutches inside , one for odd [1,3,5] and the other for even gears.This is said to eliminate typical auto lag. I'd certainly want one for my F-150 !!

Old 02-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
I reached this easily in 2nd gear during my datalogging runs (on-road)

5784.81 rpm 96.1 mph (rev limiter starting to take effect)
You're saying your truck does 96 mph in second gear?? What transmission do you have?

Last edited by TX Chris; 02-26-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:43 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TX Chris
You're saying your truck does 96 mph in second gear?? What transmission do you have?
Good morning!

Ah - got you worried, eh?

It's a 4R75E - 3.55 LS. My point was simply that this limit is not new - all late-model 150's are factory-limited to around the century mark - and easily remedied. A lot of latent potential to be unlocked. Tritons sound really good wound out to 5700 rpm, And they can move. lol

MGD v4.1

Old 02-27-2010, 07:12 AM
Custom tuning will remove the speed limiter, extend the power band and you'll see a buck-20 plus, easily, depending on yer overall final ratio.

Plus - it will fix all yer shifting quirks and help yer tranny live due to reduction of slip = less heat.

You will need better tires though
Ya I have an SCT and custom tunes for towing are in the plans. I really don't need the truck to be any faster. Tracking it will probably be a one time thing...if I want to scare someone I'll take them in the racecar! The stock pirellis didn't do too bad though, but I bet they aren't rated over 100mph.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I would love to get a tuner, but it will void the warranty and I have an extended warranty. Some members have posted even if you flash it back to factory they can now tell how many times it has been flashed, so they would know it had a tuner on it.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Good morning!

Ah - got you worried, eh?

It's a 4R75E - 3.55 LS. My point was simply that this limit is not new - all late-model 150's are factory-limited to around the century mark - and easily remedied. A lot of latent potential to be unlocked. Tritons sound really good wound out to 5700 rpm, And they can move. lol

MGD v4.1
I have not gotten to that 5700 mark, maybe 5500 but I was afraid to go any more than 500 over the stock limit. IIRC I saw a dyno curve that showed the trucks power dropping off in that area, not sure though. I do know though at 120 is easily achievable in these things. With 3.73s and stock size tires the truck rode just fine, so if you have the place to wind it out, I would...it's fun.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by tbraquet
I would love to get a tuner, but it will void the warranty and I have an extended warranty. Some members have posted even if you flash it back to factory they can now tell how many times it has been flashed, so they would know it had a tuner on it.
How so, since they would have to prove that it damaged the engine.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by KazK
How so, since they would have to prove that it damaged the engine.
Or they just say "you have engine problems - you also have a tuner - we're denying your warranty repair." And then you can take them to court over it.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:20 PM

I was told with the 04-08 models they could not tell if you flashed it and removed the tuner before bringing it in for service, but with the 09-10 models they could tell how many times it had been flashed and since Ford is the only ones who should be working on it under warranty they would have record of how many times it should have been flashed versus the actual number of times. Therefore they would know a tuner had been put on it. I was also under the impression it didn't matter is you had engine problems or not they could just void the warranty if they saw evidence of a tuner. If this is not true would one of you Ford technician members let me know? The main reason I want a tuner is to get a little more power and better mileage, and change the top speed limit.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Why would you want to do anything near 100 or over 100 in a big truck, lol? Trucks are by no means fast and they surely arent the best handling vehicles on the road.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by used2vtec
Why would you want to do anything near 100 or over 100 in a big truck, lol? Trucks are by no means fast and they surely arent the best handling vehicles on the road.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by used2vtec
I just like to go fast sometimes, and the other day I had a Z71 decide to race me, I was stopped at the light and he already had a running start, long story short just as I was catching up to him (my front bumper was even with his front door) I reached my speed limit and the truck shut down on me. Had it not had the limiter on it I would have blown him away. When I left the light he was already at least 2 cars lengths in front of me. I love the power and speed of the 2010's. I had an 04 and it was not near as powerful or fast.

Quick Reply: Found the Speed Limit for 2010's