2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need 12V switched power

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need 12V switched power

I have FX4 Screw. Looking for an appropriate accessory wire (keyed) to tap into for LED warning lights. Trying to avoid running a hot wire. Lights will be on a switch but also want them to shut off when ignition is off. Trying to avoid tapping any audio power sources. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I hard wired my radar detector in and used a fuse extention on the fuse box located in the kick panel on the pass side. There are several fuses the manual says are not used but are still powered. I found one that was switched and it worked perfect..

Old 01-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

i got one of these for this type of stuff. (fuzeblock fz1)
http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

it gives you the option to have always hot power or acc power

Old 01-16-2010, 03:41 AM
Get an Add-a-fuse and tap slot 37 (which is empty) in the inside distribution box on the passenger side. It's a switched 12v.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:48 AM
Originally Posted by digitalamish
Get an Add-a-fuse and tap slot 37 (which is empty) in the inside distribution box on the passenger side. It's a switched 12v.
I'll probably make a temp connection today then grab an add a fuse next week the auto parts stores around me suk so I gotta search for one. Thanks for the input totally forgot about the fuse tap.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Unfortunately that's how Ford wires their Upfitter Switches, so it should be easy to do for anyone who knows about wiring (not me). :o

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I still don't understand why Ford doesn't offer Upfitter Switches as an option in the F150, and have them always-hot as everything shuts off unless your truck is running, which sucks.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:15 PM
The Raptor has upfitter switches, so I wonder if you can order them and install them into the console? This is actually something I was thinking about for when my truck gets here.

John

Old 01-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Stilly
The Raptor has upfitter switches, so I wonder if you can order them and install them into the console? This is actually something I was thinking about for when my truck gets here.

John
I picked up a fuse tap Sat. Ive been searching for the upfitter switches from the Raptor but havent found a part # for them yet. For now i put my switch in the little change holder in front of the shifter where I have my ambient light switch as well.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Hey, Does anyone know if the distribution box under the hood in the middle area has any hot with ignition on fuses so I can tap in for my onboard air system that I am going to install. I am putting it in front of the radiator and the power box is right above where it will be. Would be real handy to hook in right there. Thanks Mark

Old 02-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by marksblaster
Hey, Does anyone know if the distribution box under the hood in the middle area has any hot with ignition on fuses so I can tap in for my onboard air system that I am going to install. I am putting it in front of the radiator and the power box is right above where it will be. Would be real handy to hook in right there. Thanks Mark
I tapped off the interior fuse block no idea if the one in the engine compartment has any but ill look today when I install my Whelen grill lights.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Just a question for you guys who are "tapping" into certain fuses to power things like lights , and compressors, etc. Are you using that "Swtiched" power that you are finding at the fues to trigger a relay that you installed, or are you just using the power stright from your "tap" to run the equipment?

Old 02-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Timelessr1
Just a question for you guys who are "tapping" into certain fuses to power things like lights , and compressors, etc. Are you using that "Swtiched" power that you are finding at the fues to trigger a relay that you installed, or are you just using the power stright from your "tap" to run the equipment?
Im using a fuse thats not used/spare with an add a circuit. Im using straight power as my LED dash light draws less than 3 amps. Now that I am going to install my LED grill lights, as a precaution im going to add a relay.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:28 PM
I am going to use one to power a relay that will power up a compressor by way of a rocker switch that I will install in the cab. I just thought it would be sweet if I can get power under the hood instead of in the cab. Although, Now that I think of it, I can get power from the box on the pass. side inside,go to my switch, then out to the relay. Either way, I have to go through the firewall? Thanks Mark

Old 02-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by marksblaster
I am going to use one to power a relay that will power up a compressor by way of a rocker switch that I will install in the cab. I just thought it would be sweet if I can get power under the hood instead of in the cab. Although, Now that I think of it, I can get power from the box on the pass. side inside,go to my switch, then out to the relay. Either way, I have to go through the firewall? Thanks Mark
If i was doing your project, I'd find an acc wire in the kickpanel, tap into that wire (put a fuse on this wire) route this wire up to a switch near the ****pit, then run a wire off the switch through the firewall into the engine bay and use that wire as a "trigger" for the relay. Then grab power straight of the battery ( fuse this wire as close to possible to the battery) and run this wire to the relay which will basically supply the +12 for the compressor. This way your Acc wire is only being used as a trigger which puts no extra real draw of amps on that line you tap

Old 02-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Timelessr1, Thats exactly what I have in mind. Thanks Mark

Quick Reply: Need 12V switched power