2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2009 Lariat 5.4 Performance Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danc55
I too am a little disappointed in the F150's performance. My lease is coming due on my 2007 Sierra SLT and I am looking at possibly replacing it with a Lariat. I took a test drive earlier this week and instantly feel in love with the comfort of the seats and the interior as a whole.
When I hit the highway and was able to drop the peddle a little I was expecting more. Now I know it's not a sports car and I wouldn't be driving like that most of the time but it made me wonder about towing and other instances like passing where that quick response is needed.
My GM has a lot more snap when you put the hammer down to pass and will easily break the wheels loose from a start.
I was also a little concerned about the 4x4 system. My GM has a locker and auto 4wheel drive and is awesome in the snow. When I tried the Ford out on a snow covered road it did not seem near as stable or able.
Please, I'm not trying to start a pissing match over which is better. I have had good luck with my past 4 GMs but with the gov. bailout and future uncertainty and the fact that I love the look and space in the cab of the Ford (I'm 6'4'') I really want to go that way. I just don't want to regret a 50 K dollar purchase.
I'm looking for honest opinions and experience from Ford owners.
Thanks
How many miles did the test have on it? If it had less than 5k then forget about testing it for acclerationg or power. The engine is tight to about that amount of miles. We also had AWD denali and that thing was ok in snow but couldnt touch my F150 for perfomance in the snow and slippery stuff. The 4x4 would just pull me across everything we hit but the AWD denali was a bit of trouble across the same stuff. I think AWD is great for wet roads but any more than that the system seems to strugle. It's not just GM AWD either as out AWD expy has the same problem. We couldnt get the dam thing out of the drive the other day when we had all this snow.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by cheef
Every new car I've owned is like this. Needs to break in and loosen up. HP an MPG go up with mileage everytime. I usually notice the biggest jump around the 10-12000 mile mark.
how do you figure that hp and mpg will go up after time with out modifications??

Old 12-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Barritia
How many miles did it have. Mine felt slow when it had less than 5k miles but now it's flies.
Mine has 8500 miles on it now. The dealer told me that it was owned by an older gentleman that only drove around town. Will break-in make that much of a difference? What about an exhaust upgrade? Any suggestions?

Old 12-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by c1t1d1
how do you figure that hp and mpg will go up after time with out modifications??
Most engines made from new are very tight fron new. They need to wear in and v8's can take twice as long as straight 4's. I see a increase of about 2-3mpg and truck def got faster.

Quick Reply: 2009 Lariat 5.4 Performance Question