2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Has anyone swapped the black door handle plates for body colored???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone swapped the black door handle plates for body colored???

My new truck arrived yesterday, pics later, I like the Pueblo Gold more than I thought I would. but man would body color door handle look better than the black.

Anyone swap these yet? Pricey? Difficult?

Thanks!

Last edited by Jeff T; 09-19-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Alot of people, including myself have swapped out the 04-08 door handles, I assume the 09 handles are the same. It is reasonably easy to do, if you have the driver side keypad,that is the hardest handle to do because of the wiring harness connected to the keypad.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Toolcrib
Alot of people, including myself have swapped out the 04-08 door handles, I assume the 09 handles are the same. It is reasonably easy to do, if you have the driver side keypad,that is the hardest handle to do because of the wiring harness connected to the keypad.
I assume you need to pull the inside door panels off? Yes, I have the keypad as well!!

Cost anyone?

Old 09-19-2009, 06:02 PM
yes, need to take off door panels.

I don't think you can already buy the standard handles painted to match (PTM), you'd have to get a body shop to paint them. and it would be best to buy the smooth, paintable handles from Ford first rather than trying to use the stock textured handles. This was the case for 04-08 and I'm sure it's the same for 09.

But the handles that do come already PTM from Ford are the Mark LT/Platinum handles. They have a painted bucket but the pull straps are chrome. Tasca has the Screw set with tailgate handle for around $315+shipping.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...egoryID=122674

but those are the 04-08 handles. The 09 handles look exactly the same so in theory the older handles should work but it would be best to double check first with Tasca.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:18 PM
My new truck thankfully came with body colored handles. My 06 did not and they start to looktired after about a year. The body colored look much better.Make the switch you will like it better in the long run.good luck

Old 09-21-2009, 09:38 AM
I had mine swapped @ dealer before I bought my truck. It was pricey but worth it. Love the look. 09 fx-4 oxford white,charcoal bottom. I have the original black handles(SCAB:drivers,pass,tail), probally put on E-BAY. Also, have oxford white door handles (2).

Old 09-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
yes, need to take off door panels.

I don't think you can already buy the standard handles painted to match (PTM), you'd have to get a body shop to paint them. and it would be best to buy the smooth, paintable handles from Ford first rather than trying to use the stock textured handles. This was the case for 04-08 and I'm sure it's the same for 09.

But the handles that do come already PTM from Ford are the Mark LT/Platinum handles. They have a painted bucket but the pull straps are chrome. Tasca has the Screw set with tailgate handle for around $315+shipping.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...egoryID=122674

but those are the 04-08 handles. The 09 handles look exactly the same so in theory the older handles should work but it would be best to double check first with Tasca.
Steve, since so many of the '09's and 2010's are coming with the painted buckets, I'm betting you could order them already painted for an '09...issue is going to be if you can get them in Pueblo Gold or not...not sure that color is offered on the upscale models (that come with the painted buckets) or not. I did this on my '05 Lariat Screw and got lucky as the Mark LT replacement handles did come in black so it was an easy swap out for me. At that time you could ONLY get the body matching handles in the colors that the Mark LT came with - as it was the only model came with the body colored handles.

To the OP, just make sure you see the way the handle "rod" fits the handle BEFORE you remove it. I wasn't paying attention on the driver's door handle and you can install it 180 deg off...so while it fit - the door wouldn't open close after I had everything reassembled and had to take it apart again and reverse the rod. (This will make sense once you take off the door panel and start to remove the buckets). Another thought is that if you can't get the Pueblo Gold color you will be getting another color and painting it to match...I believe I've seen both on the '09's body matching buckets with the chrome handles (Plat/Lariat models) and I've seen the full body color buckets and handles...choose which look you like the best but the chrome handles might hold up better than the "repainted" handles....

Quick Reply: Has anyone swapped the black door handle plates for body colored???