2009 - 2014 F-150

Question about the new 4.6L 3V

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about the new 4.6L 3V

I currently drive a 2007 FX2 w/ the 5.4L and a 3.55 open rear end. I have a brute force CAI, roush o/r side exit exhaust, and a gryphon. For it's size, its pretty quick and I get decent gas mileage since I'm mostly highway (18-20 is what I average)

I am looking at an 09 reg cab stx w/ the 4.6L 3V and 3.73 gears. How do you guys think this truck will compare to what I currently have? Will it be as potent or am I in for a let down? Is this the same engine as the one found in mustangs? Thanks!!

Old 08-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by BIGG-RAY
I currently drive a 2007 FX2 w/ the 5.4L and a 3.55 open rear end. I have a brute force CAI, roush o/r side exit exhaust, and a gryphon. For it's size, its pretty quick and I get decent gas mileage since I'm mostly highway (18-20 is what I average)

I am looking at an 09 reg cab stx w/ the 4.6L 3V and 3.73 gears. How do you guys think this truck will compare to what I currently have? Will it be as potent or am I in for a let down? Is this the same engine as the one found in mustangs? Thanks!!
If you go from a tuned/slightly modded engine to something in stock form, your going to be let down. You'd need to compare both engines in stock form. I believe the F150 4.6 is the same one used in the Mustang, the Mustang version is tuned for power/performance while the F150 engine is tuned for towing/hauling.

If the '07 is running good with decent MPG then why not hang on to it instead of starting over with a new rig?

My 0.02 cents anyway.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:26 PM
I have the 4.6L 3V. It's the *****.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:41 PM
My current FX2 is a love hate relationship... I wanted a reg cab but couldn't afford it without the current incentives that were available at the time, and the dealer wouldnt honor them after the single cab was built for me... (Single Cab, Short Bed, 5.4L 2wd... still drooling over the thought of owning that truck!!) But they had some supercabs on the lot and I walked out paying 11k less than sticker so I couldn't pass it up. I love the look of the truck, but it's almost 2 years old and college (just graduated) took it's toll. I've had more work done to my truck due to other drivers (one lady didn't see me to her left and came into my lane, swiping from the rear passanger door to my rear bumper 2 months after I got the freakin truck!) I recently smashed up my rear bumper via 2.5 foot concrete pillar in parking lot (being fixed tues) So I'm up in the air with what I want to do with it... wish freakin ford would just let me build the truck I want...

Old 08-15-2009, 01:43 PM
And oh btw the new truck would be modded the same as the current truck as well... might lift it with 35's tho since that config HAS to be 4x4 for some reason..

Quick Reply: Question about the new 4.6L 3V