2009 - 2014 F-150

2009 SuperCrew 4x4 Lariat: Rolling Backwards While in Park

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 SuperCrew 4x4 Lariat: Rolling Backwards While in Park

Well, I haven't had this truck for even a week yet and have already come across a serious problem. The truck doesn't even have 150 miles on it yet.

I was showing my dad the reverse camera and how it worked. I put the truck in park, and turned if off, and took the key out of the ignition. I got out and noticed the truck started to move. I thought it was just moving that slight bit that most cars usually do before hitting the transmission pin. When it was all said and done we estimated that the truck rolled 6 feet before the transmission pin caught and the truck abrubtly stopped rolling.

This is a major safety issue and could cause damage to the truck if it were to do it again and actually hit something.

Has anybody had any problems like this or heard of anything like this? I wonder if there are any TSBs or if Ford knows of this issue?

Old 06-29-2009, 12:47 AM
Technical Article Contributor

It's under warranty, take it to the dealer ASAP and have them fix it.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:54 AM
Thanks. I plan on taking in in ASAP - I am just curious if anyone is aware of any common issues related to this.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:11 AM
How steep was the hill?

Old 06-29-2009, 10:19 AM
I was always told never to use the Trans park feature as a parking brake on hills and to always use the park brake for this exact reason. I seen this happen my self with my mother in laws Dodge and the thing rolled all the way down the drive and into the road and didnt even stop until it slowed back down and trans could lock it up.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:28 AM
A truck should not roll backwarks when parked on an incline. It seems you are the first one to post about this problem on the '09s.

When the dealer fixes the problem, post the fix done to correct the problem.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks for your responses. I was parked in my parents driveway which is almost flat. I wasn't on a hill...there aren't really any here in Houston! All kidding aside, luckily the driveway was almost totally flat.

I hope to get it in this week and will post what they tell me. I think I am going to call a service advisor first to see if they have heard of anything.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:06 PM
how fast did it roll? i understand it was a very slight incline but, was it creeping along or kinda quick

Old 06-29-2009, 06:13 PM
I spoke with two service advisors at two different dealerships here in Houston and neither had seen a problem like this with these new trucks. It didn't roll very fast at all - just about as fast as you would expect a truck to roll if it were starting from a stopped position and you let off the brake while in neutral.

Does anyone know how the tranny shifter works? Meaning, when I put the lever in park, am I physically moving the tranny into park or is my shifter movement telling a computer to tell the transmission to shift itself into park? If it is the latter then it is probably just a programming thing not something mechanical.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
I was always told never to use the Trans park feature as a parking brake on hills and to always use the park brake for this exact reason. I seen this happen my self with my mother in laws Dodge and the thing rolled all the way down the drive and into the road and didnt even stop until it slowed back down and trans could lock it up.
I believe dodge issued a recall for this at some point. I do remember in the past that a car company issued a recall for this a problem like this.

I just don't want to take my brand new truck to the shop and have them mess with it.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:13 AM
Exclamation My truck rolled backwards while in park!

I realize this is old but found it during a google search.

My 2009 F150 did the same thing. Went to a friends house which has a pretty steep driveway. Put it in park, turned it off, took the keys, went inside and 10 minutes later he looked out the window and said " Did you park on the street?" and the truck had rolled 20 feet down. Wow, we actually recreated the truck rolling backwards on two different days.

Took it to the local dealership and they are in the 5th day of having it and tell me they can not find anything but found an unrelated tranny problem they are fixing under warranty with the cooling system and pipes on the tranny.

What happened here?

I am not satisified and dont want my truck to cause an accident and will keep looking for more posts. Thanks

Old 01-26-2010, 08:03 AM
I had the same thing happen to me. Noticed that it wasn't all the way in park. I have done the same with shifting from reverse to drive. The selector will go to drive but not be fully engaged. I have since become more deliberate with shifting and haven't had any issues since.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by Pig9r
I had the same thing happen to me. Noticed that it wasn't all the way in park. I have done the same with shifting from reverse to drive. The selector will go to drive but not be fully engaged. I have since become more deliberate with shifting and haven't had any issues since.
I was thinking that exact same thing...still if you aren't totally in Park - it shouldn't let you remove the ignition key? Sounds as if an adjustment or something? I'm a firm believer in using my parking brake - it's just an automatic thing I do as soon as I hit Park...but a vehicle in Park with the key removed should not be moving!

Old 02-01-2010, 05:13 AM
Question

My truck spent 6 days at the dealership. Nice folks... they found nothing wrong that coorelates with my rolling backwards problem but did find something wrong with the cooling system for the tranny and had a difficult time getting all the parts in- hence the delay. All under warranty- glad they found it now.

The problem remains. A few days later my truck, with the engine off, in park, on another slanted driveway (about 25 degrees), about 5 minutes after the truck was shut off, lunged backwards a short space- this time only about 3 inches, then caught and stopped.

The parking brake was not engaged. But will be anytime on a hill in the future. The dealer said there was zero info or tech bulletins and to just use the parking brake until they know more.

Any ideas?

Old 02-01-2010, 05:58 AM
My old mans F350 rolled down about 12 inches when parked on slight hill about three years ago.

Quick Reply: 2009 SuperCrew 4x4 Lariat: Rolling Backwards While in Park