2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Platinum owners, how are you cleaning your wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
^heck yeah, my wife gets mad for how long it takes me to wash my truck!
Boy my girlfriend gets really mad too...at how long it takes HER to wash those little crevices...she sure looks good doing it in her bikini though...

JK - she'd be kicking my butt if she read this...uh oh, gotta cover the screen here she comes

Cheers

Old 05-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Back to the OP's question though...I'm thinking mine still look pretty good when cleaned and all I really do is every other wash use the Meguiers "All Wheel" cleaner - one wheel at a time and then follow up with quick soap wash with my wash mitt. Comes out pretty well and they are pretty easy to wash..now that I have a pattern down - once around the surface area and lip, then to the smaller gaps then on to the larger gaps and done. Every other wash I also scrub the OWL's with an SOS pad and all is good. I have used wheel waxes/polishes in the past - but waaaaay too much work for the wheels since they get dirty so quickly.

PS Be sure you don't use the wheel cleaner on hot rims...that's a good way to dull the finish in a hurry!!

Old 05-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Rockpick
Ahh.... my bad. I was reading through some literature and I would've sworn that it was 'clad'.

Either way though... with the clear coat, I'd stick with the above-described prescription and avoid the high-caustic / acidic cleaners...

Speaking of "Chrome Clad", I've been considering doing the "Chrome Exchange" with my stock 20's. I have done this before on several of my cars and they have held up real well for me over the years....just not sure how the chrome 20's would look with all the other brushed alum surfaces (grill, tailgate panel, etc....anyone have an opinion...

Old 12-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by mg5ford
I use a soft wheel brush. Have used it on the wife's Explorer Limited wheels for 5 years. Works good, not stiff at all.

Have waxed wheels with Turtle wax paste wax.

Anyone know if we can get brake wheel dust covers like for some cars. You know the thin metal shield that goes between the rim and hub. Supposed to cut down on brake dust on outside of wheel.
Kleen Wheels makes dust covers for the 20" wheels and I'm thinking of geting a set. Do a search and you'll pull up a thread just on them. I'm wondering though if they might make cleaning the spokes more difficult by limiting being able to reach all the way through the spokes to clean them. I asked this morning for photos to be posted on the other thread and hopefully may be able to see how close they are to the back side of the spokes. I think they are $55 a pair.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by jetech00001
i use sprayaway window cleaner works great used many years i even use it to clean the chrome bumpers

Count me in the sprayaway camp. I use it to clean the trim and glass as well and it has always worked pretty well.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:33 PM
CARWASH USA... $28... clean inside and out... done in 15 minutes or so, depending on how busy they are. They hand dry, blow the crevices out with compressed air, tire shine, clean the wheels, vacuum the interior, etc...

Old 12-11-2009, 06:32 PM
I bet they don't even charge extra for the swirls!

Old 12-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Whoops - old post!

Old 01-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Ford#1
Rising this one up from the abyss. I am curious on how you guys are cleaning your grill on the Platinum? I have a little stain on one side and would like to get it out. Anyone have something they recommend to clean it other than car wash?

Quick Reply: Platinum owners, how are you cleaning your wheels?