2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Advise on choosing an F-150

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the 8' supercab and it handles like any other truck. No problems.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:16 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The next thing we'll convince massguy to drive a Platinum Supercrew. The 5.4L upgrade cost of about $550 is the cheapest way to get more power at lower engine speeds, 45ft-lb in 2009. Fuel economy is a wash with the 4.6L and 5.4L. They both get the same with the same trans/axle ratio. The 5.4L also gets the larger rear axle and trans, at least it did through 2008. I noticed you are force to get the electronic shift transfer case instead of the manual with the 5.4L. If you were not planning on getting the electronic one, that makes the 5.4L upgrade even more expensive. While there is no doubt the 3V 4.6L/6-spd combo would be more than enough power for any regular cab truck, the costs to upgrade are relatively small for no tradeoff.

The Supercab is about $2500 more than the regular cab, all else equal. If you are not married, have no kids, and it's not a daily driver, reg cab is fine.

Since I'm tall, I find side steps are bad because I don't use them and get my pants dirty. The man step I actually find value in for 4x4 trucks. The bed is pretty tall to climb into.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by APT
Since I'm tall, I find side steps are bad because I don't use them and get my pants dirty. The man step I actually find value in for 4x4 trucks. The bed is pretty tall to climb into.
I'm about to order an FX4 Screw 6.5 in the next couple of weeks and I've been going back and forth about buying the chrome side bars. I'm also 6'3" and I don't know if I'd need them but it will help others when getting in.

The reason I'm leaning toward getting them is that there are no body side moldings on an FX4 and the side bars will give some protection against door dings (although I always park in the boonies). Other than that, it's going to be the tailgate step but no side steps.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by TheCougarGuy
I'm about to order an FX4 Screw 6.5 in the next couple of weeks and I've been going back and forth about buying the chrome side bars. I'm also 6'3" and I don't know if I'd need them but it will help others when getting in.

The reason I'm leaning toward getting them is that there are no body side moldings on an FX4 and the side bars will give some protection against door dings (although I always park in the boonies). Other than that, it's going to be the tailgate step but no side steps.

If i was you i would get the side bars. It's like the people who say they dont care about airbags or extra crash protection as they dont want or need it but it's best to have for the safty of other people in your truck. Ok you may not use the step but a lot of people will. I am 6ft and use mine every time i get in and out.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:19 AM
APT
FWIW, I had no steps on my 99 and got some Westin CPS on my 03 because I thought my wife would use them (5'5"). They are nice protection for the other vehicle door dings and now my 3yo can use them to climb up. For a regular cab, though? The standard probably gets set on your first truck for some people. You get used to whatever you had/didn't have first.

Massguy, are you contemplating getting the box step for access to the bed or side steps for cab access?

Last edited by APT; 02-11-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:43 PM
I was thinking of the side steps because I was also thinking of getting ladder brackets for throwing my canoe on top. I figured they would be handy for conveniently reaching up to lash it down. But maybe not worth the $$.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Massguy,

That's a good idea. I transport my kayak a lot. I never thought of getting the side steps for that reason. Now you have me thinking!

Old 02-11-2009, 04:13 PM
That's a great point. The trucks without side moulding will benefit by the running boards deflecting a lot of dings from other car doors. Watching people at the mall or grocery store fling open their doors with reckless abandon makes me cringe.

SuperCab is nice, but it all depends on what you need the truck to do. Sounds like you're trying to save as much as you can, so only go there if you need to transport people. Like someone mentioned, soon you'll be in a loaded Platinum! If price is an issue, just get what you actually need and will use. No matter how you slice it, it's a beautiful truck.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Yeah, trying to keep it a little utilitarian. I can use my car if I feel like luxury (or speed!!). But the supercab is tempting if I can still get the long bed. Now if Ford can just get around to announcing Presidents Day offers!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:42 PM
I noticed the 04-08 regular cabs had 4 doors and had usable space that could be reached but not the 09 does not, it is only 2 doors.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by fordf350
make it a super cab long bed 4x4 cuz you might have to haul some other stuff you want kept dry, like passengers =) and get the 5.4
Excellent point with the Supercab (you don't want to be sorry later) and you CAN get the 5.4 with limited slip with either the 3.55 or 3.73 ratio (just with the 3.73 you have to get the MAX trailer tow package) The Ford direct site is VERY confusing...just call your dealer and he can configure it with you right over the phone. I've configured many vehicles through the internet and that Ford Direct site is the most confusing site I have ever tried to configure a vehicle on. By the time I finished configuring my 2009 F-150 - I had no idea what I had on the truck...too many "mid-stream" changes for sure!! Good luck with your new F-150 and remember if you are going to keep it a long time...within 6 months you will forget how much you paid for it....but EVERY time you get in the truck you will miss those options that you wish you would have ordered

Old 02-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by TheCougarGuy

You could get the FX4 without the side bars and always add them later if you discover you need them. I'm only 5'11" and I don't use mine at all - but passengers (especially women) complain about the "hike" to get into the truck (and rightfully so as it's a 4x4) but my point is that there are many aftermarket side bars out there that you can add later (and the Ford one's as well). I'm ordering the Platinum 4x4 this week and one of the cool things are the retractable side bars that tuck nicely out of the way when retracted...you might even be able to add these to a non-platinum F-150 as many times the wiring is already there!!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by yetti96
I noticed the 04-08 regular cabs had 4 doors and had usable space that could be reached but not the 09 does not, it is only 2 doors.
You are correct - I read somewhere that Ford did away with the small rear doors on the reg cab...too bad, I thought they were pretty cool!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:07 AM
APT
With my Supercab I just opened all 4 doors and stood on the door sills to reach anything I needed on roof, mostly for washing/detailing. You also have the bed to stand in from which you can probably reach the windshield. I'd get it without the steps because there are so many aftermarket ones you can add later. One interesting option is the wheel to wheel kind that help with access to the bed as well as the cab. A friend of mine has them on an extended cab 6.5' bed truck and loves them. Not so useful for the Supercew 5.5' bed as it only gains about a foot extra. Besides, you can always stand on the rear tire.

As I said, if you don't regularly carry other passengers, save the money and get a reg cab. Compared to any passenger car, a 145" wheelbase pickup will drive poorly. Make it a 163" Subercab 8' bed and you'll be crying in every parking lot trying to turn and fit into a parking space.

Quick Reply: Advise on choosing an F-150