2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New 09 F150 wins major award...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barritia
Perhaps i will hurt my legs or maybe even break them in a accident but im almost certain that if you had a side impact or roll and your brains were spread across your truck that you will still think that the 08 is the safer truck!! Rather have a sore leg than no head.

My condolences brotha. It's a tough pill to swallow, I'm sure

So, you could have saved what; 10 grand on the safer 08?

Old 11-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo
IIHS selects its Top Safety Picks by evaluating each vehicle's crashworthiness and occupant protection in frontal-offset, side-impact and rear crash test scenarios.

2008 F-150 - not a top safety pick

2009 F-150 - top safety pick

2009 Ram - not a top safey pick. not even one top safety pick for all of chrysler.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2008/11...ridgeli-1.html
If the 08 had stability control, it would be a top safety pick, because it's safer than the 09. It's merely a technicality.

To become a top safety pick a vehicle must have electronic stability control, and earn good ratings in front, side and rear crash tests.
http://www.wowt.com/onyourside/headlines/35049894.html

Old 11-29-2008, 10:50 PM
You can carry on being a green eyed monster as much as you like. You will just have to accept that when something new comes out they (upgrade) it. It's evolution and its just the way it goes weather you like it or not.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by last5oh_302
If the 08 had stability control, it would be a top safety pick, because it's safer than the 09. It's merely a technicality.

http://www.wowt.com/onyourside/headlines/35049894.html
Boy oh boy you talk some **** lol. Listen to your self for a second

"If the 08 had stability control, it would be a top safety pick, because it's safer than the 09. It's merely a technicality. "

Well it aint got it and it will never have it so it's not a top safety pick. Perhaps you could fit all the extra stuff the 09 has on your 08 so that it would then be in the top safety pick's?

Last edited by Barritia; 11-29-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
Perhaps i will hurt my legs or maybe even break them in a accident but im almost certain that if you had a side impact or roll and your brains were spread across your truck that you will still think that the 08 is the safer truck!! Rather have a sore leg than no head.

Have you seen the pics posted in the '04-'08 forum of the wrecks people have had with those trucks? Every one of those people walked away with nothing more then bruises and a few scratches. You make the '04-'08's sound like they're tin can death traps. You can put all the air bags and electronic gizmo's into a vehicle to make it safer, but the most important thing is the part that actually absorbs and directs the crash forces through the vehicle and around the occupants.

The safety cage used on the '09 is the very same one that's in the '08, it's just made of stronger material. The argument isn't valid, the '09 is going to be safer because it has the benefit of technology and material that wasn't used on the previous model. I can say my '04 is safer then an '03 for the same reason.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Ya know, I never worried too much about saftey ratings untill I backed my 04 Screw into a parked semi at 75mph and walked away without a scratch. Well.... okay, I did have a pretty good headache.

Needless to say I do appreciate the added safety features.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff H
Ya know, I never worried too much about saftey ratings untill I backed my 04 Screw into a parked semi at 75mph and walked away without a scratch. Well.... okay, I did have a pretty good headache.

Needless to say I do appreciate the added safety features.
Am I reading this right? You BACKED your '04 into a parked semi at 75MPH?

Um, ok.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:32 PM
The truck spun around (black ice) at the last second and backed in. Thank god! I would not have survived a head on. It pushed the fully loaded semi 8 feet!

When I stopped, the back doors of the semi trailer were about 18 inches from the back of my head.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff H
The truck spun around (black ice) at the last second and backed in. Thank god! I would not have survived a head on. It pushed the fully loaded semi 8 feet!

When I stopped, the back doors of the semi trailer were about 18 inches from the back of my head.
Ah, makes sense now. That makes for a pretty wild ride.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:05 PM
I had 3 kids doing 50 plough into the left front area of my 1997 F-150 as I was just pulling out into a green light to take a left turn. They ran right through the light w/out even slowing down and slammed into me.

Much has been said about how un-safe the '97 model was, but I tell you my '97 held up very well in protecting me. I wasn't hurt at all, even though the impact area was right next to me on the left driver's side where they rammed into me.

Airbag deployed, glasses fell off, that's about it. The truck didn't even stall, it was still running by the time the police/fire/paramedics arrived. The other car was demolished.

We must have been in the middle of that intersection for a good half-hour or more, the whole time my truck running with the lightbar and hide-a-ways going (well, cept for the now-busted left one). After taking the 3 kids away in the ambulance, and checking me over; the police couldn't believe my truck was still running and they were like, "Can you back it up onto the side of the road for us and wait for the wrecker?" and I said sure thing and did so. The firemen in that town said they recognized me because of my truck, very few 97's were roaming the streets at that time. They all felt bad but it was the kids fault so I was in the clear... just without a brand-new truck for like 6 months while it was repaired.

Anyways, my point being, my '97 held up extremely well and def protected me from any injuries whatsoever. I owe that truck one. Just one of the many reasons I love the F-150.

So 1997 model or 2004 model (2009 refresh); I think both will give you great protection, although the refresh obviously has the most safety features to-date.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Rambo
Here's the difference:
The 2008 has the old air bags up front, and the old cab/cage with regular steel. No RSC. No side air bags. No TBC.

The 2009 has new front air bags and new side air bags. New cab/safety cage with high strenghth steel and it is 2 and half times stronger. Advance Trac. RSC. TBC.
our airbags are old!?? what!!!!!
their not "old", my truck had BRAND NEW airbags when i drove it off the lot! didn't all of your trucks!?

Old 12-07-2008, 04:08 AM
Suspended
barrita sounds like a high schooler who just got a cell phone thats newer than Timmy's.

"Its newer so its bettererer"!!!!!!!!

So the 09 has a couple new safety features. That does not make the 04-08's that much more inferior, as pointed out earlier the pics of 04-08's that have saved thousands of lives. But of course that does not matter to you because your 09 that is yet unproven in a REAL crash is....on paper......safer. Bottom line is both are some of the safest trucks on the road. The couple new things on the 09 is not ground breaking, nor makes the truck that much better than a 04-08. Then again I have a 07, so I must be biased.

Oh, the Tundra is also on that coveted list of Top safety pick. So why the 09 over the Tundra if both are truely the safest of safe?

So get off your soap box, get in your truck and crash into something and report back. I would like a first hand account of how each new feature reacted.

Last edited by alomar; 12-07-2008 at 04:11 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys are all funny lol. Personally, I wish they would offer all the saftey stuff as optional. Fact of the matter is, we drive very safe trucks.. even without airbags and added weight and cost stuff. Imagine the price of a vehicle without it all? And the fact is that only a small percentage of people get in accidents that need that kind of protection. most of us go thru life with nothing more than a little fender bender here and there. Sure, it is nice to have "just in case" But the odds are so small that I am willing to take the risk. Not to diminish all of you who have had catastrophic accidents. Glad it worked out.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man that thread was entertaining!.....(LOL)

Old 12-07-2008, 02:27 PM
I feel that being safe while being on the road is extremely important. Not just for the driver but for the passengers. I would rather have the safety features than not have them even if they was never used. The same goes for when you ride a bike. Ok you pay extra for your lid but you may never need it because you never fall off. Well theirs always that one time and i can bet that you were glad you had it on when you hit the deck. Also i never said that the last gen trucks were unsafe but compared to the new model they are. My father in law had someone rear end him doing 65-75mph and he was in hospital for months with problems with his neck. He later found out that his seats were not designed to take a rear collision like many seats are designed now. I have seen to many people driving about not paying any attention to what they are doing. I see so many people a month run a red light even while traffic is flowing in other directions. These people must be blind or stupid. I see rear ends maybe 4-5 times a week and cars crushed by 18 wheelers far to often. I don't know what it is about it over here but i never used to see the level of accidents i see over here in the UK. It's like they just get in the car and go into a sleep/driving mode. I had so many near misses from people not checking their blind spot it's unreal. Even my wife does it and she nearly wiped out a person on a motorbike once. He was lucky i was there to grab the wheel. Don't even get me started on the old people over here driving. When i got my license there was a woman who looked about 90+ years old and she couldn't walk without help, Def as a door **** and could hardly see what she was writing. They gave her a new license and off she went back into her car!!! i left 20 Min's later and she was still trying to reverse out of her spot lol. Everyday i have to deal with people at the end of my road who dont know how to use a turning lane! Not saying everyone over here is like that but it really seems like people over here are like zombies when they drive. They have no idea whats going on around them.

Quick Reply: New 09 F150 wins major award...