2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finally saw a couple up close

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Finally saw a couple up close

I was at the dealer today to get some work done on my 2005 and had some time, so I walked around the lot. They only had a few, I checked out an FX4, a Lariat and a couple STX's (they had no XLT's or XL's and still had a TON of 2008's on the lot).

A couple things stuck out at me.

1. Interior looks nice except for one thing, the molded plastic on the dashboard has a very (hard to explain) deep/wide "grain" to it, very different than the 04-08. I dont like it, its the only thing about the new interior I dont like, and it really sticks out like a sore thumb. It was the first thing I noticed. But otherwise the new interior is sweet.

2. Front clip. I thought it really looked ugly, does not look "as bad" in person. However the new front clip really changes the look, if you look at an 08 and an 09 side by side, the 09 really looks smaller. It looks less wide and shorter, its a real odd visual effect.

3. Tail lights. Wrap around to the side of the bed WAY too far. Looks worse in person.

4. "Stickers": The STX and FX4 stickers on the side of the bed are WAY too big, and almost cartoonish, especially on the STX. And due to the fact that the taillights wrap around so far, the stickers look out of place. It almost looks like an afterthought.

5. Sticker price: Are you sh1tting me?? 30 grand for an STX??? Seriously?? This on STX I looked at was a standard cab, 4x2, 4.6 (3v) with power group (locks/windows), nothing else. 30 grand?? I dont see them moving alot of these for a while, especially considering the huge rebates they are doing on the 2008's right now.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I looked at some stx's today. they arent that much worse priced than mine was new...29900 vs 31 for a 4.6 2v 4x4 scab, and it has factory power windows mirrors etc.

I really love them in person. And the interior is sick. looks like the seats may be a little more stainproof.

They just need a little bit of modification to make them exactly what I would want...

1) take the chrome on the taillight and make it black(or niteshade them)
2) black headlights
3) leveling kit

Beyond that the truck looks phenomenal to me, I cant wait to see an FX4 in person, and I cant wait to drive a 5.4 3V with that 6spd

Last edited by bjp207; 11-23-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The biggest deal breaker for me believe it or not is the lack of the driver side grab handle. That is just stupid not to have it on the new truck. It is really a noticable difference to get into the truck.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chris1450
The biggest deal breaker for me believe it or not is the lack of the driver side grab handle. That is just stupid not to have it on the new truck. It is really a noticable difference to get into the truck.
just wondering how tall you are, at 6'3" tall i don't use them, not even on a F-350 on 36"s.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
The front end I'm beginning to accept ok. The tail lights and the big square stickers, I will never be able to handle. The stickers I could remove, but the tail lights are ridiculous.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by MonteCarlo31
just wondering how tall you are, at 6'3" tall i don't use them, not even on a F-350 on 36"s.
Think i read somewhere that the side curtain airbags are behind the A pillar and that was the reason for the disappearing grab handle.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:59 PM
the dealership here got in a blue FX4 SCab but i havent really checked it out yet..just seen it while i drove by and i really don't like em that much..but I think leveled with some nice wheels and tires they could look really sweet

Trending Topics

Old 11-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Suspended
My Brother in Laws Chebby was missing one to...I asked him if he ordered it that way. Kinda funny, he bitches about how crappy his Chebby is...but tells me its better than my Ford. What a doofus.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:20 PM
huh? I've never used my grab handles.

Anyway, would much rather have the roll-fold side-curtain airbags instead of a grab handle.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by tstjohn
Think i read somewhere that the side curtain airbags are behind the A pillar and that was the reason for the disappearing grab handle.
There is a grab handle on the passanger side... so I doubt it is because of the air bag.

I am 5'7" so the grab handle is VERY handy to me. I can't imagine a truck without it. I could care less about the side airbags. I am tired of the government telling me what vehicle to drive and how safe it has to be. Make that stuff optional and see if it works out. Free market at work.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:07 AM
There is a grab handle on the passanger side... so I doubt it is because of the air bag.

I am 5'7" so the grab handle is VERY handy to me. I can't imagine a truck without it. I could care less about the side airbags. I am tired of the government telling me what vehicle to drive and how safe it has to be. Make that stuff optional and see if it works out. Free market at work.
I dont think it's anything to do with the goverment. I would rather have a side curtain airbag that could save my life or my famileys life over a stupid grab handle.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Barritia
I dont think it's anything to do with the goverment. I would rather have a side curtain airbag that could save my life or my famileys life over a stupid grab handle.
What if it was a wet or icy outside, your shoes were wet and you were trying to step up into your lifted truck.. and bam! you slip and fall, desperately reaching for your grab handle, but realize it doesn't exist..?

lol.. I'm not so uncoordinated that I can't manage to get into my own truck.. but I would imagine the odds of getting into a lethal car collision would be about the same.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Barritia
It has everything to do with the government. The government mandated air bags in the first place. The government mandated saftey belts. the government is now mandating stability control of every vehicle by the year 2012 (I think that is the year). If the market demanded it I would be fine. The government is mandating it. I don't disagree with having saftey items. But it shouldn't be forced down our throats, making the vehicles that much more expensive. It should be personal choice. BTW.. do you realize that the odds of getting into a major accident that needs these saftey features is VERY small. Most accidents aren't that serious.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm pretty sure I read about the removal of the driver grab handle back when Ford was finally just releasing some info about the refresh. They did a lot of focus group and consumer testing of the F-150 and found that most driver's don't use the grab handle, they'd typically use the steering wheel when getting in/out of the truck.

I know, I know. A lot of people on these boards here hate using the steering wheel and I understand why. But keep in mind, those of us on these boards are very particular about our trucks, there are MANY other American's out there driving these things who aren't so particular, and the focus groups and surveys showed FMC that most people use the steering wheel. Not only did this save them a few cents, but in particular it helped them increase visibility even more for the driver of the vehicle - a double-win, just like the design + aero of the curved tailgate lip.

As picky as I am about my truck, even I use my steering wheel - it's just way more convienent. I can understand why the average F-150 user/owner would reach for the steering wheel rather than even thinking about the grab handle. Funny thing is, I always mention the passenger side grab handle to my front passenger when I have one getting in/out.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:08 PM
I managed to find this after some searching. I also saw mention FMC may revisit the driver grab handle issue again in the future, as it has been brought to their attention a number of times after unveiling the refresh.

Vehicle Engineering Manager Dennis Slevin told me that the company held numerous focus groups to discuss the pros and cons of a driver's assist handle, and finally decided against it, on the grounds that its usefulness didn't outweigh a visibility issue on the A-pillar. It depends on the manufacturer: Dodge and Toyota have one, while Chevrolet and Ford do not.

Quick Reply: Finally saw a couple up close