2009 - 2014 F-150

Ok I'm confused? Help pls.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 12:30 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Because it runs 30% richer to maintain a stoichiometric air/fuel ratio. This is controlled by the O2 sensors. That is why the gas mileage sucks. That's also why it doesn't LOSE power. The reason it GAINS power is E85 is about 105 octane. The knock sensor allows for a lot more timing advance.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got to agree with power kid on the 5.4l power issues.

Buying an '09 just seems to entail so many risks. Virtually no power gain, virtually no mileage savings, large drop in resale value as soon as ecoboosts become available, rumors of 2012 all-new model which is just a few short years away, etc. etc.

As much as I look forward to all the info from those who buy an '09, there's no way I could take such a leap when the ecoboost's will be available in less than a year from today. That's when I'd be able to think about buying one in realistic terms. It also gives a good wait on the economy to see where it's headed also. I have zero debt of any kind and don't intend to take any on (except a house eventually), which means the stock market better get back to normal for those like me to make a large purchase in cash. My '04 runs just fine and many people tell me it still looks brand-new, so there's certainly no rush. They don't even have Arizona Beige as a choice anyways.

At any rate, power sure sucks but I still can't wait to see them driving around and check 'em out. Always cool to see hints of the future ('12) in the here & now.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:40 PM
glc
I think you all are making too much out of the power issues. The 5.4 is a tried and true proven workhorse. You may be losing sight of what a truck is primarily designed for. I think Ford is doing a damn good job getting all they can out of the 5.4 while still keeping it dependable and reliable. The ratings are just that - *NUMBERS* used for advertising purposes. What counts is how the thing drives.

Now, let's look at another factor. I have not researched the competition, but the new 6 speed tranny has a 4.17 1st gear ratio. That right there tells me that the new truck could probably pull stumps. Its PEAK flywheel torque may be lower than the competition, but what's the comparative torque numbers way down low at the rear wheels where it's needed to get something moving?

How many of you need high horsepower numbers at high RPM's in a TRUCK? Those of you that do should be looking at forced induction anyway - or a high performance *car*.

Last edited by glc; 10-04-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
Hmmm so this is the only motor currently available with this feature?

The big picture is if this is true (and it looks like it is) is how pathetic the current engine lineup is. @ 320/390 I was flirting with idea of an 09, but @ 310/ tq unchanged.... Sorry no thanks. I'll keep my 04. @ more gears ain't enought to make me open the wallet.
So if it had 10 more HP and 25 more lb/ft you'd buy one?

Old 10-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Line in the sand has to be somewhere...

320/390 on gasoline... I'd be much more likely. My 04 is now 5 years old and the engine has improved by only 10hp (e85 not availble here) Sorry I'm looking for more improvment from the engine than that. (yes many other improvments blah, blah)

Old 10-05-2008, 12:12 PM
glc
The fact that the truck is lighter doesn't matter to you?

Old 10-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
I think you all are making too much out of the power issues. The 5.4 is a tried and true proven workhorse. You may be losing sight of what a truck is primarily designed for. I think Ford is doing a damn good job getting all they can out of the 5.4 while still keeping it dependable and reliable. The ratings are just that - *NUMBERS* used for advertising purposes. What counts is how the thing drives.

Now, let's look at another factor. I have not researched the competition, but the new 6 speed tranny has a 4.17 1st gear ratio. That right there tells me that the new truck could probably pull stumps. Its PEAK flywheel torque may be lower than the competition, but what's the comparative torque numbers way down low at the rear wheels where it's needed to get something moving?

How many of you need high horsepower numbers at high RPM's in a TRUCK? Those of you that do should be looking at forced induction anyway - or a high performance *car*.
GOOD GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GLC, You are so VERY right on the money. Glad to see someone NOT crying cause the 09 doesn't produce the same HP numbers as brand X. Get a life, right! As you so clearly stated, IT'S A T R U C K for christ sakes. It does what a truck should do and it does it BETTER THAN ANY OTHER, REGARDLESS of the HP numbers. It's pretty GD funny and REALLY tells a lot about someone who bases their entire purchasing decision on HP numbers for a truck. Oh well, to each their own.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by glc
The fact that the truck is lighter doesn't matter to you?

100lbs on a Screw... Nice but lets remember they are the heaviest of the bunch too. 100lbs lighter and we still are.

Some of us use are trucks for serious towing. I can't beleive how many blind Ford loyalists there are. If it still had 220 hp like the 97s did, would that matter? Still a truck right?

Perhaps we need a new forum where those of us want more motivation can discuss this amongst ourselves without being told to either go buy a Toyaota, or if we tow a S-D etc...

Old 10-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by rms8
GOOD GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GLC, You are so VERY right on the money. Glad to see someone NOT crying cause the 09 doesn't produce the same HP numbers as brand X. Get a life, right! As you so clearly stated, IT'S A T R U C K for christ sakes. It does what a truck should do and it does it BETTER THAN ANY OTHER, REGARDLESS of the HP numbers. It's pretty GD funny and REALLY tells a lot about someone who bases their entire purchasing decision on HP numbers for a truck. Oh well, to each their own.
If your stmts was correct you'd have a great point. But its not. Ours does not tow better than the others. If it did I'd shut up and not care about the "numbers". If I cared so much just about numbers I'd bought a hemi 5 years ago. Ours gets out pulled by EVERY other truck brand. I feel the fact I own an 04 with over 165,000m allows me to comment on its performance. And So I purchase the 04 despite its lack of engine "numbers" vs the Dodge and the Nissan becasue its still a much better truck. Now 5 years later and ta- freekn da it has 10 more hp and zero more tq. Nice. You know what, if in real world testing due to the 6 speed its even close to the Gm 6.0 (never mind 6.2L) and the Toyota and the Dodge in getting its own azz moving... I'll buy one. And in fairness new engines are scheduled to arrive in 2010 so lets wait and see. But Lets face facts.... we now know why Ford delayed the 5.4 # release... The truck leader should have planned this better.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
If your stmts was correct you'd have a great point. But its not. Ours does not tow better than the others. If it did I'd shut up and not care about the "numbers". If I cared so much just about numbers I'd bought a hemi 5 years ago. Ours gets out pulled by EVERY other truck brand. I feel the fact I own an 04 with over 165,000m allows me to comment on its performance. And So I purchase the 04 despite its lack of engine "numbers" vs the Dodge and the Nissan becasue its still a much better truck. Now 5 years later and ta- freekn da it has 10 more hp and zero more tq. Nice. You know what, if in real world testing due to the 6 speed its even close to the Gm 6.0 (never mind 6.2L) and the Toyota and the Dodge in getting its own azz moving... I'll buy one. And in fairness new engines are scheduled to arrive in 2010 so lets wait and see. But Lets face facts.... we now know why Ford delayed the 5.4 # release... The truck leader should have planned this better.
Do the trailers the people use get heavier when they buy a new truck. Dooes the air get thicker when you buy a new truck. Does the wind come head on more when you buy a new truck as for me none of the above happen. People have had zero problems with towing in a 04-08 and using the 04-08 as a work horse for years. There's no reason for it to need any more power. In 4 years time will people want 500bhp from the new trucks as i know for a fact it's not going to be need for the truck to do what it already can. I think fords figures work well and with the new 6sp box they should work even better than before. These small trucks will have more power than a 18 wheeler if they carry on the way they are and it just ain't needed. Also if these other trucks are so much better than the fords for what they are meant to be designed for then why does no one buy them for that. You already know if you goto any Lowe's or home depot on Monday morning that 90% of contractors there will driveing a ford. They are the truck to beat and the truck to have if you want something good to work from. Once people start buying the others brands because they work better then it may be time to complain.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just downloaded the brochure for the 09 from Ford.
Here are the specs for the 5.4
Mileage 4x2 Mileage 4x4
Fuel HP TQ City Hwy City Hwy
Gas 310 335 14 20 14 18
E85 320 360 10 14 10 13

Quick Reply: Ok I'm confused? Help pls.