2009 - 2014 F-150

5.4 #s are in... FINALLY

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 #s are in... FINALLY

OK copyright some other dude at some other forum:

320/390 right off the literature.. I could not paste it directly.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Old 09-11-2008, 05:53 AM
Bleh 320

What is with Ford, it's always been my brand but the numbers are always depressing. They can never seem to keep up with anyone else. The 300Hp 5.4 was out dated as soon as it rolled off the line and it is no secret what everyone else has been putting out and they only give us 20hp more!?! They should also put manual trannys back in them and not just in the stx.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those numbers sound good. My 300/365 does a great job towing, so I can imagine the 320/390 with the 6 speed tranny would do an excellent job! Plus fuel economy is up, so I think it's good news.

Of course, I don't pretend my truck is a Mustang either...

Old 09-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Those numbers sound good. My 300/365 does a great job towing, so I can imagine the 320/390 with the 6 speed tranny would do an excellent job! Plus fuel economy is up, so I think it's good news.

I agree X2.

Who gives a flying ******* about 0-60 times in a truck. Don't get me wrong going fast is great but remember it's a full size truck not a small light weight car and honestly my truck now is no slouch with a 6 inch lift and 35's (but can't wait to get 4.88's ) and takes much less RPM to get up and move then the new tundra or a ram. The 320/390 with the new 6 speed tranny should be a great combo. Sure, in a race the ram or tundra will still win but go tow or haul something with a ram or tundra or just hit the dirt and go off roading and all that lovely low end torque (AKA a usable power band for a truck) we have you'll soon miss and for what, a good 0-60 time . They can keep there speed, I'll keep my capability

Last edited by 07fx4silver; 09-11-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw

Thats exactly what i think. These are trucks and not performance cars and people seem to be more worried about BHP than how well the truck works real world. If people want more power for what ever reason then go for a more powerful truck. Just done exepct the work performance of the f150. If you want something fast dont buy a truck.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Speed?

I guess I was misunderstood a bit. I didn't mean I was all about speed and that my truck was gutless. I have a cat back dual flowmaster exhaust, s+b intake kit and an edge evo programmer and its is pretty peppy especially on cool mornings. I'm also not one of those guys that expects a car out of a truck, so please don't confuse me with a pencil pusher that wants a pretty truck. I hate how quiet they make them now, how they took away the manual tranny option for the better models and while the ride is good I don't need it. I use it to work, play and commute. The biggest problem with the truck. I think is the tranny. The current power from the motor would do much better with a better tranny. So, I have no doubt that a few more ponies and the 6spd will walk all over the current setup. I guess my point of view on the subject, as a part time hauler/part time show off is that I would like to have a little more bragging rights and the numbers and performance don't give me that. I wasn't able to keep up with my buddies 2500 hemi ram even with my upgrades. Back when my truck was stock I had a crappy old rusted out nissan pickup smoke me at a stop light to stop light run, which was mostly because of the tranny. It simply would not shift down and the guy ran away from me and I was left feeling like an idiot as he gave me a big thumbs up and got a good laugh.

Long distance hauls and very heavy loads are few and far between for me so if more performance capability took me out of the optimum towing band then I could live with that. But I do understand about people that haul alot and are a little older than me and have their showing off days behind them. I do believe they could come up with more ponies and also keep a good towing power band (something for everyone).

As far as being better than the rest with towing, I'm not so sure about that. (Don't get me wrong I am die hard Ford but I'm just frustrated is all, so please doubt tell me to just go buy another brand). If you look at performance tests done (which include towing) comparing different brands usually Ford isn't on top. Usually if Ford wins over all on the comparisons it is the looks and feel that give them the points to win out. Also, if you punch in ford vs (insert brand) in you tube you can see many videos of tug of wars with the late model trucks. I haven't seen one that a Ford won. Before I get put down for this .... I know thats not what the trucks are bought for but it does show who has the better low end. It can be argued that its who gets the jump first and maybe some of the Ford guys were a bit late on the throttle but I've watched many of these videos and every one was lost.

Like I said I do love Ford I just want an all around truck, work and play, which is what I need it for.

Trending Topics

Old 09-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Well to me it sounds like you want ford to make a truck that has good 0-60/30-60 speeds and design to win a tug of war comp. I dont think thats what ford have in mind. Also with performanceof trucks and youtube you have no idea what these so called stock trucks are running. Many things come down to things other than the truck brand. like what mods are these people running? Ecu programers, fuel types, Turbos/superchargers, NOS, tyre compounds and treads, trye pressures, air filters and induction kits, After market exhausts and transmissions. I could make my truck a lot faster if i want to but it does exactly what is says on the box. I have known people put 3 times what a car is worth into mods and turn it into a sleeper. Yeah great if ya into burning up other motors but most people aint. I know that buying a ford will get me a work horse of a truck and i have been given this advice from many a truck user. Most people i speak to who ride other brands admit that they like the f150 more than there current truck. My bro in law has a medical hire company and he has many trucks from fords, chevys, ram's and gmc's even though he uses a GMC denali suv for day to day driveing he says he will always take the f150 or f250 for towing or working from. HE says they cant be beaten and he is right.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by 07fx4silver
I agree X2.

Who gives a flying ******* about 0-60 times in a truck. Don't get me wrong going fast is great but remember it's a full size truck not a small light weight car and honestly my truck now is no slouch with a 6 inch lift and 35's (but can't wait to get 4.88's ) and takes much less RPM to get up and move then the new tundra or a ram. The 320/390 with the new 6 speed tranny should be a great combo. Sure, in a race the ram or tundra will still win but go tow or haul something with a ram or tundra or just hit the dirt and go off roading and all that lovely low end torque (AKA a usable power band for a truck) we have you'll soon miss and for what, a good 0-60 time . They can keep there speed, I'll keep my capability
agree 100% well said

That 6 speed trans, and the new FX4 package, has me drooling ! I will wait a little longer, to see if there are any bugs to be worked out, but FX4 comes with an E-locker, a 41:1 crawl ratio (lower then the other models, with a granny low of 4:1 or something in the transmission !!! ) plus "real" skid plates, or so they are saying. Should be one helluva truck !

Old 09-11-2008, 01:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Power Kid
OK copyright some other dude at some other forum:

320/390 right off the literature.. I could not paste it directly.
Must have done some better engine tuning.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
Well to me it sounds like you want ford to make a truck that has good 0-60/30-60 speeds and design to win a tug of war comp. I dont think thats what ford have in mind. Also with performanceof trucks and youtube you have no idea what these so called stock trucks are running. Many things come down to things other than the truck brand. like what mods are these people running? Ecu programers, fuel types, Turbos/superchargers, NOS, tyre compounds and treads, trye pressures, air filters and induction kits, After market exhausts and transmissions. I could make my truck a lot faster if i want to but it does exactly what is says on the box. I have known people put 3 times what a car is worth into mods and turn it into a sleeper. Yeah great if ya into burning up other motors but most people aint. I know that buying a ford will get me a work horse of a truck and i have been given this advice from many a truck user. Most people i speak to who ride other brands admit that they like the f150 more than there current truck. My bro in law has a medical hire company and he has many trucks from fords, chevys, ram's and gmc's even though he uses a GMC denali suv for day to day driveing he says he will always take the f150 or f250 for towing or working from. HE says they cant be beaten and he is right.
I was using the tug of wars as an example that Ford may not have the better low end that was stated in a previous comment. I stated that I knew thats not what the truck was made for. Are you going to to tell me that all those vids were sup'd up trucks vs. the Fords? But I'm not dumb enough to take what I see on youtube as Gods honest truth. I was just saying that out of teh many videos I saw not 1 ford won. But, honestly, to me it would be nice to know that if it came down to it I could show who had the better truck and I would like it to be my Ford. I was also just giving my opinion as a younger guy that still has some showing off to do along with using the truck for what it was made for. I don't believe I'm the only guy that feels this way. I guess I'm just in the midst of some old pokees.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Very surprising Ford was able to increase HP/Torque and still improve on mpg's. Can't wait to test drive one.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by bobs64ford352
I was using the tug of wars as an example that Ford may not have the better low end that was stated in a previous comment. I stated that I knew thats not what the truck was made for. Are you going to to tell me that all those vids were sup'd up trucks vs. the Fords? But I'm not dumb enough to take what I see on youtube as Gods honest truth. I was just saying that out of teh many videos I saw not 1 ford won. But, honestly, to me it would be nice to know that if it came down to it I could show who had the better truck and I would like it to be my Ford. I was also just giving my opinion as a younger guy that still has some showing off to do along with using the truck for what it was made for. I don't believe I'm the only guy that feels this way. I guess I'm just in the midst of some old pokees.
I have watched many a video on youtube about what trucks better than the others and i have seen my fair share of vids where the ford def shouldnt have won a drag/tow/weight pull but then i have seen it the other way where the other trucks shouldnt have won certain things. What i do see a lot though is tug of war with fords vs others is that the fords always seem to spin one wheel????? is it me or do the ford no have a limited slip dif or some kind of wheel control to stop this from happeing. Can this be turn on and off??? My mates 4wd wrx sti and me other mates mitsi evo mr never spin one wheel even on a quick start on wet tarmac. So why on earth the fords spin that one wheel i no idea. Is this just User error or bad design? I have seen some good vids as well of ford trucks pulling stuck boats, cars, others trucks, traillers from soft mud what no other truck what tryed could do but the fords could do! In the end you could have 1000bhp but if you cant get the traction then you might as well have 0 bhp.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Angry

What you find very quickly on this forum is that you can not critique the power of an F150 or you will quickly be shunned. Doesn't matter if you own one, have ever driven one, ever towed with one, or ever driven any other truck in your life. You will quickly be given a speech on how 0-60 times don't matter, and you must just want be a racer. Yes this is how people with fragile egos deal with things. Put your head in the sand and tell yourself everything is wonderfull... Those of us wanting more power shouldn't have to explain why we want more. We shouldn't have to pre-position our opinion. Our loyalty is immediatly questioned. It doesn' matter that we are loyal ford guys who have bough many new Fords over the years, we have the Ford poster in our garage, the Ford coffee mug, we cheer for any Ford guy watching Nascar on Sunday afternoon. We're told: if you like the power of the "insert Dodge or Toyota, or GM or Nissan here" (ANY other truck) then why don't you go just buy one and leave this forum? Funny I guess we could say that to any other topic too, like the spark plug issue etc. What you prefer a truck where you could change the plugs without a huge bill or even taking off the heads, well then why don't you just go and buy a "Dodge or Toyota, or GM or Nissan?"
For the billionth time we know the Ford has the: stiffest frame, torque way down low, the nicest cab, the new 6 speed will help a bunch etc etc etc...... We KNOW all that. And yes depite having the least capable engine we still bought them. But we are allowed to want more power and torque. It bugs us Ford loyalists that we are not (as of yet) a leader in engines, we lag. This 09 5.4L/ 6 speed combo should have been in the 04. Nissan had a 5 speed in their 04. The 3v 5.4L should have been around in in the 97. In a couple more years we'll approach the 6.2L Gm in performance..... (Hopefully sooner)But by then its 4 years old an GM will be onto something new! In all things but powertrain we are leaders, not followers. Name one engine/powertrain right now, that is best in class in the Ford product line? Powerstroke, Duramax smokes it stock/stock. We need a 6 speed. 09 5.4L? Yes better than a 5.3, lags behind 6.2L and proabbly even 6.0L. The 3.5L? Reviews I read say its too rough and sometimes slow. Now I hope the twin force/ecoboost (doesn't Twin Force sound 1000% better) change this. I hope our 4.4L is competitive with the Gm 4.5L and the Dodge 5.0L baby diesel. Does my 04 5.4L do the job? Yes. Its it slow. Yes. Does it pull my 7000lb trailer. Yes. Would the Hemi, 6L, Titan or Toyota pull it easier, YES. I'm I disapointed with the 09 5.4Ls #s now that they are finnally out after waiting for over 8 months. No. I never expected them to bump it to the levels of the competition. Perhaps thats what pizzez me off the most. The fact that I'd given up hope that Ford would smarten up. Will I still buy one? I'll wait for 2010 to see the final verdict on the 6.2L and the eccoboost and the diesel. But possibly. If they are competitive. Thinking back nearly 5 years ago when I bought my 04 Screw it was easy. If I wanted a real 4 door crew gm only had the Fugly avalanche back then so they were out, Nissan was not available yet, Toyota didn't make a fullsize truck yet and the Dodge quadcab was not a true 4 door crew (IMHO). My how times have changed.

Oh and the reason MPG went up is primarily due to 6 speed.

Here is a chart with new Ford #'s.

09 Ram 09 Silverado 09 F-150 08 Tundra
Engine 5.7-L V-8 6.2-L V-8 5.4-L V-8 5.7-L V-8
Horsepower 390 403 320 381
Tq (lbs-ft) 407 417 390 401

So peak tq we are close. But still last. Hp not close. Dodge and Nissan still only 5 speeds. Woudl love to see chart with peak tq curves. Better yet I'd like to drive them all.

Last edited by Power Kid; 09-11-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
I have watched many a video on youtube .
If its doing a one wheel squeal, then it does not have Limited slip. Limited slip is an option on Fords. Open differential will allow one tire to spin. The new Ford's will have an e-locker as an option. That way both tires turn, no matter what.

The other thing I have seen on youtube vids, is the competition is using 4x4, against a Ford in 4x2. You need proof these have power ?? go look at Josiah's newer video. He pulls out a stuck as f.... chevy, lifted on 35" tires. Two different DIESELS try pulling it with no luck. A couple tugs with josiah's 5.4 and BAM, truck was unstuck.

Originally Posted by Power Kid
What you find very quickly on this forum is that you can not critique the power of an F150 or you will quickly be shunned. Doesn't matter if you own one, have ever driven one, ever towed with one, or ever driven any other truck in your life. You will quickly be given a speech on how 0-60 times don't matter, and you must just want be a racer. Yes this is how people with fragile egos deal with things. Put your head in the sand and tell yourself everything is wonderfull... out after waiting for over 8 months. No. I never expected them to bump it to the levels of the competition. Perhaps thats what pizzez me off the most. The fact that I'd given up hope that Ford would smarten up. Will I still buy one? I'll wait for 2010 to see the final verdict on the 6.2L and the eccoboost and the diesel. But possibly. If they are competitive. Thinking back nearly 5 years ago when I bought my 04 Screw it was easy. blah, blah blah.

Waaaaaaaah !!!

Sorry bud, you on an online Forum, dedicated to Fords and Ford enthusiast. You bash on the Ford, your going to take a bashing. If I were go on a Yota forum, and say I want Ford's frame, I am sure I would equally get bashed. Get over it. You want a forum thats all warm and fuzzy, I am sure they are out there, good luck ! Go check out Pirate if ya need a reality check. BTW, I am not brand biased, nor blindly brand loyal. I know what works from years of working on different vehicles. There are pros and cons with all of them, but you are being un-real and un-believeable, all in one !

HP numbers aren't everything, you want high HP and speed ? Then get something designed for it. SRT-10 or whatever. The lightning, etc. EVERY major company has a power truck they offer, you want that, get it ! Your complaining about HP numbers ??? Have you seen the new S/C 5.4 numbers ??? Even the old ones make me You want a truck thats going to tow and be reliable ? Then those high HP number don't do much for ya, and the torque numbers, coming on at low RPM mean a WHOLE lot more, and Ford has high torque, quicker then the competition. Sure they have more, at what... 4k RPM ??? I don't normally drive around with my motor tached...

I could go on and on, but I am afraid it falls on either incredbly young, or just deaf ears. Good luck to ya bud.

Last edited by MercedesTech; 09-11-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: 5.4 #s are in... FINALLY