2009 - 2014 F-150

2009 F150 Standard Shift Petition

Old 01-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was mad that I couldn't get either of my F-150s with a V-8 and a manual tranny.

I learned to drive with a stick and I still prefer them. The stock shift patterns are horrendous, particually in the hilly/mountainous area that I live in. A good 5-speed would solve every problem I have with the truck.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Oh, and trust me... I can easily blow an automatic transmission, I did it for a friend who wanted a new transmission in his F250. Did a little shift to neutral while flooring it then popped it into D a few times... his O/D light started flashing 1/2 mile down the road, and it finally crapped out. Cost Ford a nice $3k. Of course I disconnected the battery for a few hours before calling a tow truck.

OMFG….

I have never heard such stupidity from someone older than 14. This is either a total fabrication, or you really are the worlds most ****************** . I’m gonna go turn on the TV and watch some COPS and try to pick you out.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by rms8
OMFG….

I have never heard such stupidity from someone older than 14. This is either a total fabrication, or you really are the worlds most ****************** . I’m gonna go turn on the TV and watch some COPS and try to pick you out.
Actually... since it wasn't my truck, and he was the one who allowed me to do it, I didn't give a rats behind what it cost Ford. If anything, Ford should be going after my friend... who basically lied (commited purgury) to the service center. I only did what he said... what did I have to lose?! Like 20 minutes of my time... and learn how to bust a transmission and get some good laughs out of it?!

I wouldn't do it to my truck... too many complications.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Actually... since it wasn't my truck, and he was the one who allowed me to do it, I didn't give a rats behind what it cost Ford. If anything, Ford should be going after my friend... who basically lied (commited purgury) to the service center. I only did what he said... what did I have to lose?! Like 20 minutes of my time... and learn how to bust a transmission and get some good laughs out of it?!

I wouldn't do it to my truck... too many complications.
None the less, you can't argue the fact that it was a dumb move. You should probably smack yourself, and as long as you learn from that smack and dont do it again then all is well.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by marwilli1
None the less, you can't argue the fact that it was a dumb move. You should probably smack yourself, and as long as you learn from that smack and dont do it again then all is well.
Aww... that's easy... yeah it was a really dumb move... but hey... when you're buddy is laughing in the seat next to you when the RPMs go from 5500 to like 2000 rpms and the whole truck just feels like it's going to explode, with a friend telling you to keep going, who's gonna stop me?!

I'd never do it again... unless it was on a rat truck in a junk yard being sent to the crushers...

Old 01-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
With this post you officially took the crown, YOU are the dumbest person on this board. The M5OD sucks monkey *****, it is the only transmission I have ever had a problem with. Guess what killed it, a 2.3L 4 banger in a Ranger. I had a hell of a time finding a replacement. It seems that every salvage yard in the area had already sold the few good ones they had. I finally found one guy that had four or five broken ones laying around to make a working one from.

Go ahead and admit it. You like the stick because if gives you more time to stroke the shaft and rub the ****.
Just for your info, the ranger M5OD-R1, is weaker than than the M5OD-R2 which is in the f150. Just like a t-5 in a 4 banger mustang is rated at 230 lb-ft and the 5.0 version is rated at 300 lb-ft. So basicly they are the same design but the R2 is beefer all the way around. Hell, a buddy of mine had a 01 5spd 4.6 4x4, and used it for his mowing business. He pulled a 12ft trailer with 2 commerical mowers and equipment 6 days a week and racked up over 200k miles and the tranny never went out. The things that did were 2 clutches and slave cylinders, and the front and rear axles. Pretty tough if you ask me. And that last comment really gives the girlfriend or wife more time to do that.

More bean counting that Ford might have done, is that they know those of us who will buy nothing else but a stick. So they have just forced us to buy the higher priced super duty. Here is what I said in a previous post.

I must agree. At least make the stick an option. I bet they will continue to list the auto as an option and charge 1200 for it, even though it is now standard. At least you can still get a stick in a super duty for now.

I don't think they dropped it for emissions like Patman03SprCrw said. It just doesn't make since considering stick shifts get 1 to 2 mpg better than an auto. It probably was the lack of interests, IMO. Think about, the baby boomers, like my parents, have driven sticks most of there lives and are sick of it. And most of us stick people are to young to afford a $35,000+ truck, so our voices are never heard. As far as I know, GM has dropped it as well, at least in their v8 packages.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by CEE21
Just for your info, the ranger M5OD-R1, is weaker than than the M5OD-R2 which is in the f150. Just like a t-5 in a 4 banger mustang is rated at 230 lb-ft and the 5.0 version is rated at 300 lb-ft. So basicly they are the same design but the R2 is beefer all the way around. Hell, a buddy of mine had a 01 5spd 4.6 4x4, and used it for his mowing business. He pulled a 12ft trailer with 2 commerical mowers and equipment 6 days a week and racked up over 200k miles and the tranny never went out. The things that did were 2 clutches and slave cylinders, and the front and rear axles. Pretty tough if you ask me. And that last comment really gives the girlfriend or wife more time to do that.

More bean counting that Ford might have done, is that they know those of us who will buy nothing else but a stick. So they have just forced us to buy the higher priced super duty. Here is what I said in a previous post.

I must agree. At least make the stick an option. I bet they will continue to list the auto as an option and charge 1200 for it, even though it is now standard. At least you can still get a stick in a super duty for now.

I don't think they dropped it for emissions like Patman03SprCrw said. It just doesn't make since considering stick shifts get 1 to 2 mpg better than an auto. It probably was the lack of interests, IMO. Think about, the baby boomers, like my parents, have driven sticks most of there lives and are sick of it. And most of us stick people are to young to afford a $35,000+ truck, so our voices are never heard. As far as I know, GM has dropped it as well, at least in their v8 packages.
Might be true...

I never had a problem with any of the manuals I've ever owned. My '99 was solid as a rock in the tranny department.. I just needed new friction material and I pulled 6k boats, did burnout... even did stuff that it shouldn't have been doing... but never once did it give me a problem.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Ford is not completely dropping the V-6, altogether. Pickuptruck.com: "Ford also says a V6 will return to the F-150 lineup for the 2010 calendar year, when Ford's new EcoBoost gasoline turbo direct injection V6 is added to the list of truck engines." http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/auto...ord/page1.html

As fas as the manual transmission goes, I expect all manufacturers to phase them out of the light duty trucks over the next 5-7 years.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:26 PM
What part do you mean by "might be true"? Which by the way never have had any trouble out of my 97 4x4 4.6 5spd either, just slave cylinder.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by mjf150
Ford is not completely dropping the V-6, altogether. Pickuptruck.com: "Ford also says a V6 will return to the F-150 lineup for the 2010 calendar year, when Ford's new EcoBoost gasoline turbo direct injection V6 is added to the list of truck engines." http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/auto...ord/page1.html

As fas as the manual transmission goes, I expect all manufacturers to phase them out of the light duty trucks over the next 5-7 years.
Yes, but that is a 300+ horse engine versus the 203 hp 4.2. In other words the ecoboost will not be a standard engine, the 258 hp 4.6 will be.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:53 PM

The manual in my '99 4.2L was a POS. I was so fed up with it I sold the truck.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by tardman91
Was it a new truck? Or did you buy it used?

If you bought it used, I wouldn't doubt that it was in the crapper dept. When people get rid of used cars/trucks, they tend to pull off those stunts really killing the drivetrain.

Heck, when my friend got rid of his Civic, it literally roasted the clutch and got up to 130 mph 20 minutes before he handed them the keys. He even went as far as miss clutching and grinding the gears badly... I feel bad for the poor sap that gets his old ride.

Originally Posted by CEE21
What part do you mean by "might be true"? Which by the way never have had any trouble out of my 97 4x4 4.6 5spd either, just slave cylinder.
Well... I mis-expressed myself. It is true what you said. Sorry.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by tardman91

I used to be a stick shift guy until I had problems with my Standard 94 Ranger. It wouldn't go into First. New Clutch, New Slave Cylinder. Still messed up. Had to tear it apart and put a "rebuild" kit in it. Still shifted like crap so I sold it.

There's really no reason for Standards any more. The technology is so good you really don't need it.

Semi's are Automatic's now! That Alison 6 speed automatic will Pull Anything!

You really haven't heard of "Too" many complaints on the Auto tranny in the new current F150. I've got 100k on mine and it's running strong. That reminds me, I should probably have a tranny flush and filter change. I haven't done that yet. :o

Old 01-17-2008, 09:34 PM
^^^ I agree. I am still a "standard shift" kinda guy, but automatics have come pretty darn far in the past few years. Automatics are begininng to be recommended over sticks! They are begining to be far more effecient as well. Someone posted about better MPG with a stick ? That WAS true, but todays 6 speed auto are getting far better MPG's then ever thought. They are getting stronger and just all around improved over previous auto's. Its a touchy subject I know, but times are changing, don't let them pass you up.

BTW, I will still ONLY use a standard shift for my off-road rig. But even there, you are seeing more and more auto's entering and winning in rock-crawling and other off-road events.

and 100k with no fluid flush ? ? ? ? I suggest you get on that one ASAP.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:06 PM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 F150 Standard Shift Petition