2009 - 2014 F-150

2009 F150 Standard Shift Petition

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manualf150: I pretty much agree with you but was surprised the other day to see how many companies are now making 5th wheel and goose neck's available for 1/2 tons. They also started making trailers that would accomodate 1/2 ton 5th wheels.

Yes I think its insane to think ANY moron with $$$ can buy a 1/2 ton, load up a ton of weight and go barreling down the highway at 80mph. Its a scary thought but our whole driver's license thign is a joke. Anyone can pay $12 go for a 30 second ride with someone equally as stupid and you get a card sayign you "know how to drive". Places liek germany you have to go through months of testing. You have to be able to open the hood and tell someone what each part is that they point to. You have to perform tire change tests and have a basic understanding of how your vehicle works. And you go through hours and hours of testing with an insructor. We need a lot of changes IMHO.
And no, the manual will not be expected in the diesel. I wish it was but i believe they are done with any manual in any 1/2 ton (FoMoCo). I think they are starting to see a ton more "soccer moms" buying up these nice luxury 1/2 tons and replacing their SUV's. I think I read somwhere that 25% OR LESS of the 1/2 tons sold ever see dirt or ever are used in heavy hauling or towing applications. I am with Manualf150: i think the SD is going to be the route for me. I will wait to see this 6.2L tho

Old 01-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
manualf150: I pretty much agree with you but was surprised the other day to see how many companies are now making 5th wheel and goose neck's available for 1/2 tons. They also started making trailers that would accomodate 1/2 ton 5th wheels.

Yes I think its insane to think ANY moron with $$$ can buy a 1/2 ton, load up a ton of weight and go barreling down the highway at 80mph. Its a scary thought but our whole driver's license thign is a joke. Anyone can pay $12 go for a 30 second ride with someone equally as stupid and you get a card sayign you "know how to drive". Places liek germany you have to go through months of testing. You have to be able to open the hood and tell someone what each part is that they point to. You have to perform tire change tests and have a basic understanding of how your vehicle works. And you go through hours and hours of testing with an insructor. We need a lot of changes IMHO.
And no, the manual will not be expected in the diesel. I wish it was but i believe they are done with any manual in any 1/2 ton (FoMoCo). I think they are starting to see a ton more "soccer moms" buying up these nice luxury 1/2 tons and replacing their SUV's. I think I read somwhere that 25% OR LESS of the 1/2 tons sold ever see dirt or ever are used in heavy hauling or towing applications. I am with Manualf150: i think the SD is going to be the route for me. I will wait to see this 6.2L tho
Thank you sir!

Just to add to the "foreign" side of things... ever notice how many manual trannies are over in Europe, Asia, and other countries!? I think like 90% of the vehicles over there are manual. The reason they are keeping them:

1. Longetivity.
2. Fuel Savings.
3. Easy to maintain, service work costs a lot less and less down time.

I love how they can get a diesel Focus that has a 6 speed that gets like 42 mpg...

Old 01-14-2008, 07:26 PM
my 99 4.6 is standard shift and i agree it would be nice to see it as an option.

BUT....

i prefered it because in england i had to learn standard to pass my test, once i moved to the bahamas i decided because i still was young i should continue driving standard to force myself to think a little more whilst driving (even though guys in there twentys think they are the best drivers ever)
this gave me a little more experience and now i am a little older and a little more truck savy i would like to consider automatic.
i think i will always have a place in my heart for standard but i realy like how the automatics have improved and i would feel safe switching to what i think will be a very well thought out trans.

i think ford could have considered standard as an option on the basic 4.6 (maby if it even cost more) but i think most ppl will recognise the expense it would cause for ford and the fact that most will recognise the jump in technology and move to automatic (i will if $$$ allows)

one more note: i dont think ppl will drive off the lot in there brand new shiny 2009 f150 and think "ya know what,i wonder if my truck can shift into reverse whilst going 65 in drive" but time will tell

Old 01-14-2008, 07:27 PM
extra note:
i would want my children to learn on a standard.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:37 PM

Lol, I know exactly what you mean with the drivers license test. I work at a gas station and a lady asked if I could check her tires because the light on her dash was telling her too. I go around to check their pressure and there is a ****ing nail sticking out of the side wall. WTF!?!? No one should be aloud to drive without a basic understanding of cars but that was just ridiculous.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by TGargs10
Lol, I know exactly what you mean with the drivers license test. I work at a gas station and a lady asked if I could check her tires because the light on her dash was telling her too. I go around to check their pressure and there is a ****ing nail sticking out of the side wall. WTF!?!? No one should be aloud to drive without a basic understanding of cars but that was just ridiculous.
Just like some people here rely on service centers to keep their vehicles safe.

In actuality, when you operate the vehicle, it is the operators responsibility to do checks themselves. But often this gets surpassed when someone's wheel flys off because the tire center failed to tell them to check their lug nuts often.

Another thing... way too many people look for AAA as an excuse out of things.

Also, if you ever notice, most professional drivers do a multi-point inspection of lights, horn, tires, brakes, wipers, and other devices before putting their vehicle out on the road. I try to ALWAYS check my truck before going on the road. Even if it's a trip to the store... I'll get out really quick and check the lights, horn, etc. It's all part of being a responsible driver.

I see way too many people with blown out headlights, tail lights, reverse lights, etc... especially lately with it being winter time and it being dark more often.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by ManualF150
Just to add to the "foreign" side of things... ever notice how many manual trannies are over in Europe, Asia, and other countries!? I think like 90% of the vehicles over there are manual.
Well WildBill corrected me... but I knew my facts were somewhat straight on my numbers:

Originally Posted by Wild Bill
But even Ford knows that manuals are the better way to go.

Right for the horses mouth.....

Old 01-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Glad to hear you do a actual inspection ManualF150. Thats a good thing. Some people walk around their car and kick tires (and i would say most don't even do this) But that is why i always carry a tire presuure guage and basic tools with me. I always check all my fluids and my tire's psi before heading out for the day. its not my DD so it sits for awhile. No need to drive off, not knowing I has some major oil leak and then BAM ruin a perfectly good engine (just an example). Plus its a good thing to get under her before leaving to make sure there is nothing crucial with damage.
And another note.... Mercedes Benz does not offer a Standard stick shift in any of their sedans or "normal" non-high performance vehicles (i know the Unimog and I think the Mclaren still have a stick as an option). Oh well, it goes right along with just how lazy we are getting! People don't even want to drive anymore! They are developing cars that drive themselves (already have one for the morons who don't know how to park ! !). Meh... I guess its just the crazy, backwards world we live in.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:10 PM
I'd love a stick V8.. It just won't happen again. Most people who drive these trucks nowadays are yuppies anyway - look at the "Platinum" edition. You won't catch me dead in one of those. And someone who would drive one wouldn't be caught dead in my truck.

Losing the V6 in 09 - Probably a good idea. These trucks are getting too heavy for a V6 to be useful.

Losing the stick - not a big impact on the majority.

My next truck will be an F250.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by attworth
I'd love a stick V8.. It just won't happen again. Most people who drive these trucks nowadays are yuppies anyway - look at the "Platinum" edition. You won't catch me dead in one of those. And someone who would drive one wouldn't be caught dead in my truck.

Losing the V6 in 09 - Probably a good idea. These trucks are getting too heavy for a V6 to be useful.

Losing the stick - not a big impact on the majority.

My next truck will be an F250.
couldnt have said it better myslef attworth

Old 01-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by BGF150
couldnt have said it better myslef attworth

Wanna trade wheels?

Old 01-15-2008, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by attworth

Wanna trade wheels?
How about trading wheels with me?

Do an even swap... and I'll be your friend for life.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Well, just to add on to what i asked earlier... its YES ! ! they will still offer the electronic transfer case shifter as an OPTION!! so we can still opt for a good ole mechanical floor shifter !!

Old 01-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Suspended
Well, just to add on to what i asked earlier... its YES ! ! they will still offer the electronic transfer case shifter as an OPTION!! so we can still opt for a good ole mechanical floor shifter !!
I am shocked to hear it is still an option. Good to know Ford still offers this, IMO much better than the ESOF, just hard to find if you dont special order

Old 01-15-2008, 05:14 PM
yup... I had to special order mine ! The dealership i got it from just didn't buy them for putting on the lot. Every 150 they had had the damn switch ! The downside tho is that I had to get the bench seat and not that slick looking flow through console. Oh well, fair trade IMO.

Quick Reply: 2009 F150 Standard Shift Petition