2009 - 2014 F-150

New article (engine line up)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be willing to pay maybe a $2K premium for the diesel option. For $5K I'd rather just get the 6.2L gasser.

I realize it depends on how much and how far you drive, but at a hypothetical $5K premium, I wonder how long it would to reach a monetary equilibrium between the (I ASSume) lower fuel economy of the 6.2L and the higher entry price of the diesel.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:53 PM
You also have to figure in the cost of fuel. In my area, diesel fuel is 50 cents more per gallon than regular gas. Is it the same way across the country?

Old 10-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rambo
You also have to figure in the cost of fuel. In my area, diesel fuel is 50 cents more per gallon than regular gas. Is it the same way across the country?
About 40 cents higher here in central MO right now. Diesel is usually about 10-20 cents cheaper in the summer, 30-40 cents higher in the winter.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?

Until several years ago, the average price of diesel fuel was usually lower than the average price of gasoline. In some winters when the demand for distillate heating oil was high, the price of diesel fuel rose above the gasoline price. Since September 2004, the price of diesel fuel has been generally higher than the price of regular gasoline all year round for several reasons. Worldwide demand for diesel fuel and other distillate fuel oils has been increasing steadily, with strong demand in China, Europe, and the U.S., putting more pressure on the tight global refining capacity. In the U.S., the transition to low-sulfur diesel fuel has affected diesel fuel production and distribution costs. Also, the Federal excise tax on diesel fuel is 6 cents higher per gallon (24.4 cents per gallon) than the tax on gasoline.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/bookshelf/bro...sel/index.html

Old 10-15-2007, 02:01 PM
A diesel engine will usually make a gas engine look stupid when comparing milage too. A Powerstroke Superduty will get alot better milage than its V-10 counterpart, with both putting out similar power.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess that I am one of the few that is happy with the power of my 5.4L. It has never let me needing more get up ang go. I just wish that I had better mileage than the mid 15s that I average. I know that when a oil burning KR F-150 is available I plan on buying one.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:33 PM
manualf150, just because the v6 can do it does not make it the perfect vehicle. i for one went with the 5.4 because it could pull the loads(which my v6 did) but did it more efficiently. with the proper gear, pulling 8k# in these half tons is not a problem. now i would not personally hook up that much on the bumper without brakes if i was towing for a long distance. i also liked the thought of being able to pull the heavier load if the need ever arises.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by 02XLT4X4
A diesel engine will usually make a gas engine look stupid when comparing milage too. A Powerstroke Superduty will get alot better milage ...

Are you sure? Check the various forums that are out there. Most folks are getting 10 to 14 mpg. If you're going to get a diesel, get it for the awesome truck that it is and not to make back the extra cost in fuel savings.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Are you sure? Check the various forums that are out there. Most folks are getting 10 to 14 mpg. If you're going to get a diesel, get it for the awesome truck that it is and not to make back the extra cost in fuel savings.
Check out Diesel Power mag couple months ago, Full comparo new SD 250 gas vs. deisel, going by memory here but Diesel option paid for itself @ 50,000m. Much sooner than I had calculated... Never mind fact it will be worth much more down the road and engines life will be much longer (on avg). PLus more you tow soonner it will pay for itself....

Old 10-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
Check out Diesel Power mag couple months ago, Full comparo new SD 250 gas vs. deisel, going by memory here but Diesel option paid for itself @ 50,000m. Much sooner than I had calculated... Never mind fact it will be worth much more down the road and engines life will be much longer (on avg). PLus more you tow soonner it will pay for itself....
I thought we were talking about the F-150?

As for that comparison of the Super Duties, those figures are off because they calculated gas and diesel fuel both at the same price. Where I live the cheapest diesel fuel is 50 cents more per gallon. The mpg also cannot be compared to the F-150.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:26 PM
We were talking about the F150's but it don't matter, compare anything with wheels, same model offered with both Diesel or Gas, and the diesel gets signifiacantly better MPG. If it didn't they would not sell.... Can be a F-250 a VW Jetta heck a Arctic Cat atv... Based on preliminary #'s I'd expect the new 6.2L and 4.4L Diesel to be v close in capabilities (although stock to stock empty the gasser should be quicker) But c'mon there is no way the 6.2 won'tl cost more to run lets say 100,000 m even with a 50 cent $ diff???

Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 AM
Check the forums. Mileage on the new diesel isn't one of the best selling points. If you need the diesel because it works harder, or if you intend to keep it a long time, then it may be easier to justify for yourself.

In other news, the Tundra is no longer recommended by Consumer Reports due to its poor reliability...

Although Toyota ranked third in reliability behind only Honda Motor Co (7267.T) and Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd's (7270.T) Subaru, Consumer Reports also found two Toyota models had "below average" predicted reliability.

Those two models were the V-6 version of Toyota's flagship Camry sedan and the four-wheel-drive, V-8 version of its new Tundra pickup truck.

"Consumer Reports will no longer recommend any new or redesigned Toyota-built models without reliability data on a specific design," the publication said in a statement. "Previously, new and redesigned models were recommended because of the automaker's excellent track record."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071016/...liability_dc_2

Old 10-17-2007, 12:16 AM
So now it is about the 250 again?
My bud has a 08 w/the .4 and his prev ride was a V10. I know all about the diff. If it wasn't so large I'd buy a 250 gasser. Maybe we should check the forums on V10 mileage too?

Old 10-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Diesels are no longer that great of an advantage unless you are carrying or pulling LARGE loads in excess of current 1/2 ton capabilities, or you plan on running your truck a long time. I have run a new diesel each year since 1999 with an average of 50,000-55,000 miles in one year. My average trade to go to the next model year in almost the same identical truck was around $5,000 each year - some early years LESS, some later years slightly more. Lately, the rebates and incentives have driven used values down such that I am above the $5k mark, but still less than $10K. Most drivers don't see my mileage in four years. Even to trade for $10k in four years would be a steal.

In any event, mileage on diesels used to be better, but now the forums report close to 12-14 highway, with closer to 10-12 with pulling heavy loads. For the almost $7K adder for a diesel, you can buy alot of gas, but you will have no return on a gasser. I pay below invoice for all my trucks, and the return value on a diesel per KBB is $5,600 after one year, while the option only cost me $4,400 invoice when I bought it. Yes, I shelled out $4,400 to finance it, but after very few years, just the return value alone paid forthe option without the old fuel savings thoughts of yesteryear.

With that said, I may consider a V-10 again. The V-10 came out very high on the last shootout, and the only place the diesel overcame it was in high altitudes - where I don't go. With diesel costing over $0.55 a gallon more than gas, the fuel savings is not worth considering, but resale of diesels (currently) still makes it a wiser choice coupled with flexability (larger load capabilities), and desirability.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:40 PM
my $$$'s

I have sat here for the last 30 minutes or so reading about the new engine line up and having done so I came to the conclusion there are some of you here that want economy and some whom want safety first, I guess I fall in catagory 3 ( power ) I personally dont care what kind of mileage I get as long as I can tow whenever and whatever I put behind my truck. Sure I'd like more mileage but its not there so I'm ok with that, I'd also like to see $2.00 a gallon gas but it isn't happening so I'll just have to pay $3.25 or $3.50. The long and short of it for me is I want 425 horses and 500 ft.lb of torque in my F150. I previously owned a F350 4x4 4 door v 10. I sold my logging company so I traded in my monster, I had no where to park it when I'm in the city for class etc: There are some of you on here who act like us wanting more power is a bad thing, like the cost is comming out of your pockets, ( stop it ) it's not. I want what I pay for, if you want to buy me a small v-8 truck or even a 6 cylinder fine I'll drive it. but when my money is paying my gas, my tires, my insurance and pulling my trailer I'll ask for more power. Matter of fact I have raced my 4x4 on occassion thats also my business not yours. I dont care if you dont race i do. I want a v-8 gas not diesel.https://www.f150online.com/galleries...cfm?gnum=4704.

Last edited by nightranger; 12-06-2007 at 07:11 PM.

Quick Reply: New article (engine line up)