2009 - 2014 F-150

New article (engine line up)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 03:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
x2.

The only other comment I have to say is that you don't need 300 hp in a light duty truck for general purposes. 250 hp would be fine.

In fact, it happens to be one of my friend's who owns his Civic SI is sick of that car and wants a truck back. He's stongly considering the F150 with the v6 5 speed, or a Nissan Frontier 4.0 with the 6 speed. However, he test drove a short bed, regular cab v6 F150 with the 5 speed and he actually liked it... then he tried the Frontier, and he found it was a little faster, but not all that great. So he might be going with a F150. He's got the money to shell out, but he doesn't see the need for a 5.4l or a 4.6l v8 in the F150, especially after test driving a 5.4l... on normal driving, there is no difference. Even when you peg it, he felt the 4.2l mated with the 5 speed put the truck up there. He actually thought the 4 speed transmission was sluggish and it shifted in and out of gears way too much to get up to speed. Not to mention there is no engine braking without selecting 2nd or 1st.

But I've got to agree with him, I've whipped a guy with a 4.6l Reg cab, long bed with my truck loaded. With that said, if my stupid Mazzer M5OD bolted to a 4.2l v6, can whip the 4.6l v8 version, then I'm sorry, that is no excuse to have that engine. Not to mention with my '99, I've out run the 5.4l v8 2v numerous times, with numerous configs, with some trouble, but it was neck to neck. Personally, it proved nothing, but just a waste of gas because it wasn't even 1 truck length, it was more like his engine compartment at the end. But I did race a Lightning, and I got my butt handed to me.

It is just not worth it for a huge engine in a truck, unless it is a commerical duty truck, like a F-250 or higher. Allowing everyone on the block to have a zillion horse power just causes more mayham and problems because it is worthless in the normal day to day activities. The fact of the matter is that you will have all the guts and glory, but your truck will still be the same. It will always stay a 1/2 ton truck, and it will still tow what is regulated for a 1/2 ton truck. Regardless of the engine. 5500 lbs is the max, in my mind, is what the recommended tow rating should be, and stick with the v6, and possibly offer the 4.6l v8. If you need to tow more, then get a F-250 or higher. I wouldn't dare (feel safe to) tow 11,000 lbs in a F150... I don't give two hoots what the manufacturer says.

Just think, not too long ago (data taken from '95) the F150 had the 4.9l I6, that put out a 145 hp and 265 ft/lbs torque. Back then, that was fine... people were happy. But then... people got on Ford's case about, "Ohh, my truck is too slow." So what does Ford do? Pleases the consumer. Well, come on, since 1995, Ford more than doubled the hp, and added 100 ft/lbs more. Ain't that enough!? Jeesh... Get a life people, ITS A TRUCK, NOT A SPORTS CAR! And if you do any serious hauling, get the right tool for the job, and that's a F-250 or higher. The other problem is that people want to impress others... like if some of the people on here who have the cash flow, would seriously buy a F150 that could pull 80,000 lbs if Ford offered it. For what?! To go to the local grocery store to pick up the week's groceries? Why not buy a Peterbilt dump truck and end it, as that will impress your friends, family, and neighbors. Not to mention it's high, loud, can haul a lot, and not to forget, it can go many places. OH wait, I forgot, no one wants to drive stick and it is really slow.

All I can say is if you have the compelling need to buy a 5.4l v8 in a F150, then you are just wasting money... in many more ways than one.

I can keep going on and on and on... but what I am trying to get at is the fact that even with my v6, I RARELY ever go beyond 2k rpms to stay with traffic and to go up hills, etc. Even when towing or hauling, I can easily stay under 2k rpms, unless it is a deadly hill and I'm just starting out on it with a load. But other than that, it's got no problems. Better yet, I'm getting 21 mpg.

Get mad at me... say whatever you wish... but it is your money, and your the consumer. I can fully say I've made the right decision.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a different world today. When I was a kid, my Mother had a car. My Father had a pickup. Used it to pull a horse trailer, carry feed to the barn, and haul around a couple of hunting dogs.

Today, pickups are required to do allot more. My sister drives a Supercrew. It has enough power to tow the motorcycle trailer, or the flatbed with a tractor on it. She has no kids at home, but just loves driving a pickup.

Around here it's farming country, off roading, and RV territory. Pickups are everywhere and in every walk of life.

Folks want a truck that the wife can go get the kids at school, buy some groceries; stop off at home and hook up the toy trailer and head to the dunes.

Farm vehicles that may have to tow a trailer with a chemical tank, haul a huge tractor tire, or just go get the boss a burrito.

So I applaud Ford for offering a variety of engines to include the big motors. It's nice to have a choice. I have tried the V6 motors and while it's ok around town with nothing hooked up, it was a dog on the highway going through the mountains. So, back to the V8. And if you do the math, the fuel mileage loss with the V8 is small potatoes.

Will I buy the big V8? Maybe.

Oh hell, who am I kidding. Of course I will.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by expy03
It's a different world today. When I was a kid, my Mother had a car. My Father had a pickup. Used it to pull a horse trailer, carry feed to the barn, and haul around a couple of hunting dogs.

Today, pickups are required to do allot more. My sister drives a Supercrew. It has enough power to tow the motorcycle trailer, or the flatbed with a tractor on it. She has no kids at home, but just loves driving a pickup.

Around here it's farming country, off roading, and RV territory. Pickups are everywhere and in every walk of life.

Folks want a truck that the wife can go get the kids at school, buy some groceries; stop off at home and hook up the toy trailer and head to the dunes.

Farm vehicles that may have to tow a trailer with a chemical tank, haul a huge tractor tire, or just go get the boss a burrito.

So I applaud Ford for offering a variety of engines to include the big motors. It's nice to have a choice. I have tried the V6 motors and while it's ok around town with nothing hooked up, it was a dog on the highway going through the mountains. So, back to the V8. And if you do the math, the fuel mileage loss with the V8 is small potatoes.

Will I buy the big V8? Maybe.

Oh hell, who am I kidding. Of course I will.
Very good points. When I bought my '04 I could have gone with the 4.6 and would have had all the power I needed for everyday driving but it would have limited me in the things that I could do with it. Choosing the 5.4 gives me the power and torque to haul/tow anything I wish up to what the truck is rated for. I don't even think twice about putting 6-7000lbs on the hitch because I know I've got the power to pull it.

I personally like Ford's approach to building engines. They aren't the most powerful on the market but they build loads of torque down low where it's needed to get a load moving. Ford engines are solid and reliable as well and will outlast everything the competition's doing because they aren't overpowered. The more power you put in, the harder people drive them.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Very good points. When I bought my '04 I could have gone with the 4.6 and would have had all the power I needed for everyday driving but it would have limited me in the things that I could do with it. Choosing the 5.4 gives me the power and torque to haul/tow anything I wish up to what the truck is rated for. I don't even think twice about putting 6-7000lbs on the hitch because I know I've got the power to pull it.

I personally like Ford's approach to building engines. They aren't the most powerful on the market but they build loads of torque down low where it's needed to get a load moving. Ford engines are solid and reliable as well and will outlast everything the competition's doing because they aren't overpowered. The more power you put in, the harder people drive them.
exactly why I wanted the 5.4 in my truck after seeing my friends v6 dakota pull even a small trailer it made me realize it is better to have the big motor, and since the difference in gas mileage is only a few MPG's I was willing to make the sacrifice.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Many people make the mistake of judging an engines capabilities with the horsepower ratings. i.e. Toyota.

Like you said, it all comes down to the most torque at the right rpm.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by expy03
Many people make the mistake of judging an engines capabilities with the horsepower ratings. i.e. Toyota.

Like you said, it all comes down to the most torque at the right rpm.
Take Ford's 6.8 V10, in a properly equipped Super Duty it'll out tow and out haul the competitions diesels. Why, because it's designed for towing/hauling not to be a 0-60 performer, just like the 3v 5.4. People complain that it's underpowered but the first time they hook a load to it they find out where the 5.4's strength really lies.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Take Ford's 6.8 V10, in a properly equipped Super Duty it'll out tow and out haul the competitions diesels. Why, because it's designed for towing/hauling not to be a 0-60 performer, just like the 3v 5.4. People complain that it's underpowered but the first time they hook a load to it they find out where the 5.4's strength really lies.
But it is too slow getting up to speed I want a truck that does a 10 second quarter mile pulling a 10k trailer up a hill.J/K

Old 10-07-2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Deskinsd
But it is too slow getting up to speed I want a truck that does a 10 second quarter mile pulling a 10k trailer up a hill.J/K
Don't we all.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Graphics Contributor

sadly enough i think thats what toyota is trying to do

Old 10-07-2007, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by JBMX928
sadly enough i think thats what toyota is trying to do
x2

But they aren't gonna do it without a diesel, or some insane displacement engine... like a 9.2l 40v v8 thats pushing 700 hp and 1000 ft/lbs N/A to the rear wheels.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:11 PM

Old 10-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw

Give me 325 ponies, 400 lb ft of torque, and 27+ MPG on the highway and I'll be a happy happy man. I guess what I really want then is a small V8 diesel!

I couldn't agree more. IF they could do that every driveway in America would have one parked in it. I am tired of endless pursuit of more power. I can pull 7500lbs fine, I could care less for more hp. PLEASE give me some more economy.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Graphics Contributor
Originally Posted by robertmII
I couldn't agree more. IF they could do that every driveway in America would have one parked in it. I am tired of endless pursuit of more power. I can pull 7500lbs fine, I could care less for more hp. PLEASE give me some more economy.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:38 PM
325hp is plenty of power..... or atleast for me anyways. Too bad we have to wait so long for the diesel?? I have a feeling that option will be expensive anyways.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat F7
325hp is plenty of power..... or atleast for me anyways. Too bad we have to wait so long for the diesel?? I have a feeling that option will be expensive anyways.
If the Super Duties are any indication it's probably going to be at least a $5000 option.

Quick Reply: New article (engine line up)