2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hybrid F150??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hybrid F150??

I HEAR FORD IS MAKING A HYDROLIC HYBRID F150... 60MPG... WHATS EVERYBODIES TAKE ON THIS... ME I DONT LIKE IT F150 R FOR TOWING AND SPEED AND JUST PURE MAN POWER!! LOL (JUST TO BE P.C. LADY POWER TOO) HAHAHA... NE WAYS I THINK IF YOU BUY SOMETHIN FOR THE GAS MILAGE GO BUY A RICER... I HEAR THEY GET GOOD GAS MILAGE... LOL

Old 07-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Graphics Contributor
old news, thanks tho for typin in al caps. i thought our forum had some kind of all caps stopper

Old 07-24-2007, 03:51 PM
The GM hybrid truck is only in the 20's, the little crackerbox cars can barely eek out 60. I don't see a truck getting that in the near future without a really tall cliff involved.

Trucks are for power yes, but a gas sucking pig cuts into the profits of people that use them for their business. Effeciency isn't a bad thing but I think diesel is a better way to go than hybrid in this application.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by 02XLT4X4
The GM hybrid truck is only in the 20's, the little crackerbox cars can barely eek out 60. I don't see a truck getting that in the near future without a really tall cliff involved.

Trucks are for power yes, but a gas sucking pig cuts into the profits of people that use them for their business. Effeciency isn't a bad thing but I think diesel is a better way to go than hybrid in this application.
Well, close but not quite on all of those..

for starters, the GM hybrid is A.) No longer in production, and B.) Only rated 1 mpg better than the normal v8.

As for the little cars getting 60, I've also heard the EPA ratings are not even close to real world mileage which is sadly much lower than the claimed 55mpg by Toyota.

As for cars compared to the f150, apples and oranges comparison. Why? ENTIRELY different hybrid designs... the electric hybrid system in most hybrid cars today is very inefficient and not even remotely close to the hydraulic system intended for the F150.

And for the original poster, the hydraulic system would be AWESOME for towing, launching, and power. the entire concept is the same that is used on launching the world's fastest roller coasters

Old 07-24-2007, 05:49 PM
mayb the fact that i live n a town of 900 pure bread coon asses has clowded my judgement... but i still dont c this thing out running out towing or n neway out doing a pure gas f150

Old 07-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by BIGDAVE128
mayb the fact that i live n a town of 900 pure bread coon asses has clowded my judgement... but i still dont c this thing out running out towing or n neway out doing a pure gas f150
I doubt the town of 900 has clouded your thoughts too much, I'm not from a much larger town myself. BUT I can say that gas motors are certainly NOT the preferred power option in applications that require high torque output. Electric motors and diesel motors are both capable of much higher torque output than similar sized gasoline powered motors. Just think of some of the industrial electric motor applications out there - namely locomotives which use a diesel motor to drive an electric generator which produces insane amounts of torque.

As for the hydraulic launch assist, it is an excellent concept but it is not going to achieve anywhere near 60mpg as an overall average. The hydraulic launch assist simply stores all of the inertial energy used in stopping the vehicle and then uses it to get the vehicle in motion again by releasing the hydraulic pressure. BUT it isn't going to do anything for you driving 60mph down the highway. Once again, my vote is for the 4.4l diesel option!

Old 07-30-2007, 05:28 PM
This might help you and others here better understand the concept. Hydraulic Hybrid's show great potential in the light truck market, even more so when combined with light duty deisels. The newer "full hydraulic" systems are replacing the "launch assist" models and obtaining even greater success... read on.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/technology/420f04019.pdf

Quick Reply: Hybrid F150??