2004 - 2008 F-150

04' Lightning???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now this is man that is thinking....

Originally posted by FordMX
Hemiram,

Not to start a flame or anything, but you quote the new R/C 1500 hemi motor as producing 345 HP, and 323 RWHP...that is only a 22 HP loss through the drivetrain. Not to say that isn't possible, but it seems pretty optimistic to me. I actually like the new look of the Rams, but I just wanted to keep everything on a level playing field. As far as engine size is concerned, I don't think the average buyer really undertands the relationship between displacement and HP. Just look at chevy's 5.3L. It outprerforms the F150 in power, yet the F150 can (in my opinion) tow much easier. This is due to the maker's effeciency of the engine, and also if they have the engine set up for Hp or torque. Also you state that those numbers are with the engine "detuned"... I have heard many times that this engine really only runs well on 89+ octane, or pinging results. So I am not sure how this can be considered "detuned?" I really pat dodge on the back for stepping up the HP of their engine, because it will cause everyone else to join the game, which, in turn, gets the consumers (us) more HP in our trucks. Just a few comments...

Chris
Yes! What is advertized is not what you are getting. We had a 3500 4x4 with a 5-speed auto hemi at the track two weeks ago do a 16.1 second 1/4mile on street tires and stock from the factory. If anyone knows the weight of the truck (3500 or 350 from Ford), you know that are good times.

This is what most truck owners really want, a truck war on HP/TQ numbers again. Those who grew up in the 60s with muscle cars know what I am referring too.

This is the intention on posting. To get the owners go back to manufacture and make complaints. Owners complaints produce a 03 Cobra. The best than ever Mustang built from Ford and it will get better. If you have not driven one than do it and see the not only the HP but how it handles in the corners. It is a Ricer was nightmare when a Cobra can not only out run it on top end but out corner also.

Last edited by HEMIRAM; 12-07-2002 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2002, 03:55 PM
Re: LOL

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HEMIRAM
[B]Like the rice club more hipe and crap than I thought. I love the Honda owners who talk the same until I show up in my little Swift GT and just blow them away with weight and power.

If ..I mean if a 5.4 could push a 500HP, how long do you think it going to be when the gasket are spewing oil residue?

Talk about track, hmm...Carlsbad Dragstrip....not one L is over 450HP. This is accounting using a 50HP NOS shot. If it was then the time would be in the low 12s.

Since you like to talk crap, we will see the new SRT-8 womp any L on any street. Stock for stock....but then we can even the odds with a blower for blower and run the same amount PSI and still come out losing. Oh! Before you decide to push 500 plus, remove the wimpy drivetrain. I hate to go back and try to pick pieces of metal.

Low 12s! There's several guys with DOCUMENTED TIME SLIPS in the 10s! And Twelves are routine in the L. I last ran 13.2 in full street trim with 150lb. Tonneau and a chip and filter as my only Mods.You drive a Swift HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! What a POS that is. I don't care how much you polish a Turd it's still a Turd. You are talking Smack about something you don't own and have never driven

Old 12-07-2002, 04:04 PM
Re: Re: Re: Get your info correct

Originally posted by HEMIRAM
2001 Z06 Torch Red/Z06 black: talk about a car that has no top end. Even the Neon has a better top end than the Z06 vette. Man that is completely sad. Maybe that is why Chebby had to change the gearing to Lose top end in order to compete against the Viper. Viper has only a 3.08:1 gearing

Sorry, maybe this is why there is no Z06 in my driveway. No good for any track since it has no top end.
Yeah I'm sure you cross shopped the Z when you bought your SUZUKI! What's your daily driver? Yeah, I'm going to appologize for my Z06 since it only runs 170+ top end. Lots of 170 MPH neons out there You are obviously a troll who talks trash about things he knows nothing about. What are you, about 15? By the way I like quite a few DC rides, my wife just bought a new Jeep.

Old 12-08-2002, 12:29 AM
HEMIRAM are you on crack?

Think about this for a second. Ford had a 385HP 5.4L NA motor in the 2000 Cobra R, which was underrated mind you. Now, the stock internals of the 5.4L found in all F-150's are good for 500+HP. In order to keep costs down just about every auto manufacturer uses pressed on rods as oppossed to fully forged rods, and in doing so this is the only weakness the 5.4L has. If you upgrade the 5.4 from pressed on rods you can do almost anything with this engine, but even though it has pressed on rods it can still handle a lot of power. To say that the 5.4L in the L is already pushed to its limits is completely assanine. John Colletti and Ford have been begging for some competition, and now it seems Dodge might try to oblige them. I haven't seen any times for a reg cab Hemi Ram, and until I do it is all hype. I don't have an L "yet", but I sure can't wait to run into a Hemi on the highway with my current truck. Not saying I would win, but it would be interesting.

Old 12-09-2002, 09:53 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Get your info correct

Originally posted by GalaxyEng
Yeah I'm sure you cross shopped the Z when you bought your SUZUKI! What's your daily driver? Yeah, I'm going to appologize for my Z06 since it only runs 170+ top end. Lots of 170 MPH neons out there You are obviously a troll who talks trash about things he knows nothing about. What are you, about 15? By the way I like quite a few DC rides, my wife just bought a new Jeep.
If you can make it to that speed, which is totaly undoubtable due to higher ratio gearing, please bring it to Pomana Speedway. I would love to see how you are the only one from the factory can do it. This is why we laugh when the Neon SRT-4 has speed limiter of 148MPH (due to tires rating), can reach over 158MPH on the track.

As far as Suzuki Swift GT, do your math - 1775lb + 350HP=? Though I try not to pick on any V-8, it is not in the same class but I do like to take on anything that has fake body cladding like Hondas, Toyotas, and Focuses. Though not to brag, not the place to it, my friend my daily driver use to be a 2000 Ford Roush TT Mustang. Problem with a car like this is that it draws to much attention. But then it is more like double the HP than your Vette could feather for the street. If you want to talk hipe, even the 380 GT Roush can keep up with the Z06 in both the 1/4 mile and 0-60MPH run. Maybe that is why there is no Vette in my driveway. Besides, two cars go down the road, Viper and a Vette, which car will be will be stared at first? Not the Vette...

Yet, I made the comment that with the tall gearing. the top end on any C5 or C6 is what we refer to as a HUFF AND PUFF. However, for GM, to compete with the larger known super cars, the gearing is sacrifice for top end speed. Not even Motor Trend could get the Vette above 158MPH in a head wind. Go figure...Oh! ONe last thing, when I shop for cars or project vehicles, I usually buy the best in its class. The 92 Swift GT was a SOLO CLASS racer and modified for the street.

Last edited by HEMIRAM; 12-09-2002 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:06 AM
Look at the Engine Specs...not HP

Originally posted by I Laugh
HEMIRAM are you on crack?

Think about this for a second. Ford had a 385HP 5.4L NA motor in the 2000 Cobra R, which was underrated mind you. Now, the stock internals of the 5.4L found in all F-150's are good for 500+HP. In order to keep costs down just about every auto manufacturer uses pressed on rods as oppossed to fully forged rods, and in doing so this is the only weakness the 5.4L has. If you upgrade the 5.4 from pressed on rods you can do almost anything with this engine, but even though it has pressed on rods it can still handle a lot of power. To say that the 5.4L in the L is already pushed to its limits is completely assanine. John Colletti and Ford have been begging for some competition, and now it seems Dodge might try to oblige them. I haven't seen any times for a reg cab Hemi Ram, and until I do it is all hype. I don't have an L "yet", but I sure can't wait to run into a Hemi on the highway with my current truck. Not saying I would win, but it would be interesting.
Though you are correct in the HP but look at the specs of the motor. Ask your self, how much room do I have to build upon?

This Motor does not have to much room to build upon. The F500 beta vehicle was a helping hand to achieve this. THis motor and the F150 are not the same. The specs are totally different. Sad to note but at least we don't need to run 91 Octane.

WIth the L, this is true. I seen to many L trucks trying in vain of hitting above 500HP or either higher boost, which is fatal for the gasket setup, or NOS beside little tweaking of different components.

I been seeing way too many L having head gaskets leaking to supercharger failure. Oh, with some mods they can run in the 13s.

Ford needs to sit down like Chevy and come up with a engine that pushes around 350HP with only 9.0:1 compression. Very mild but a lot of room to build with that can last more than 100K miles.

As far with Colletti remarks, maybe it was the stupid saying that he personally inserted his own foot ("the GT 40 will tame the garden snake."). Reply....when you build a serious normal aspirated motor and produce something without a blower unit, maybe you can. Sad to note that the specs are not even close to his hiped comment and especially overpriced. I rather spend it on a Twin-Turbo Viper or Twin-Turbo Vette for the same buck and have a greater power band.

GT-40 for the price tag is not worth the money. Sad to note that by increasing the boost to max load is not going to be a faster car. Maybe that is why by holding back the performance time will embassing him in the end. Like what Chevy did on there truck compared to the Harley Davidson. Either you can buy a normal aspirated motor or one has to be supercharged. Hmm....by the Normal SS and then modified it.

Last edited by HEMIRAM; 12-09-2002 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:13 AM
Re: Re: LOL

[B]
Originally posted by HEMIRAM

Low 12s! There's several guys with DOCUMENTED TIME SLIPS in the 10s! And Twelves are routine in the L. I last ran 13.2 in full street trim with 150lb. Tonneau and a chip and filter as my only Mods.You drive a Swift HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! What a POS that is. I don't care how much you polish a Turd it's still a Turd. You are talking Smack about something you don't own and have never driven
With it competition the SRT-10 Ram, it has 515HP and over 525lbs of torque, riding on a lot lighter frame than the current L. Hmm...street tires it does only 12.72-12.91 seconds in the 1/4 mile. This is a R/C...you mean your times were based on slicks right? Hmm...have to tried that and see if we can break into the high 11s but then you cannot run them on the street.

All of this with no mods. Now if we were to start adding a superchager, modded flash chip, better breather and so forth, then what is the expected time?

Again, maybe being crack is better than drinking the forum coffee hipe. Though, I bet the SVT/Roush Engineerers wish they were on crack when they attended the Chicago Auto show.

When it comes to Swift GT versus the Focus SVT, I would not waste my gas or time. If you have any clue on weight to power ratio, there is no other small compact that can match it. Maybe that is why I don't drive a Focus SVT but then you come and we can bring out my Mustang and watch my fog as you are still looking for the street, since you mentioned it.

Then, you must be young and niave. If you again read the specs on the Swift GT stock and see what happens to a 1775lb car can be pushed too, it would be totally embarrasing to any L truck in a street drag. However, it would not be fair for the truck owner though, maybe that is why I never do it.

Last edited by HEMIRAM; 12-09-2002 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:01 PM
Hey HEMIRoid we will see what happens when Dodge actually sells one of the so called Lightning killers. Right now it is just hype. There are several L's with more than 500HP. Yes it takes some mods to do it but that is part of the fun. At least you can walk into a Ford dealer and buy one today rather than dreaming of a Dodge that might come out next year.

Why don't you go spout your ***** on a Dodge site where people may actually care to listen to it. This is a FORD site and we like it that way.

Old 12-09-2002, 12:12 PM
Man on Crack

Originally posted by Norm
Hey HEMIRoid we will see what happens when Dodge actually sells one of the so called Lightning killers. Right now it is just hype. There are several L's with more than 500HP. Yes it takes some mods to do it but that is part of the fun. At least you can walk into a Ford dealer and buy one today rather than dreaming of a Dodge that might come out next year.

Why don't you go spout your ***** on a Dodge site where people may actually care to listen to it. This is a FORD site and we like it that way.
Hey, since I know you can read, go check out the latest in the Truckin Magazine on Hemi 2500 Quad pushing only 517RWHP with 8psi.

The message here is get Chuck and the gang at Roush to push the envelope of the L truck so that the next couple of years can be an encouragement in building powerful trucks from the big three. Now get off your high-horse and start complaining like the Mustang owners did.

Since, you have a pee size brain, maybe you need to attend the Detroit Auto show in person so you can sit in the truck. While you are there, look underneath at the latest suspension system (Chuck, are you getting this?) for trucks and a true steering system.

Let see FORD...hmm..MUSTANG is a Dodge? LOL

Old 12-09-2002, 12:29 PM
F150online
Founder
Ok, time to put this one to sleep. For those hell-bent on discussing the superiority of the Dodge, might I recommend using the bandwidth of Dodge enthusiast site.

Quick Reply: 04' Lightning???