2004 - 2008 F-150

04' Lightning???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SPROCKET_X
Don't expect the Lightning or any of the other reg cab F150's to be around the same price as the 99-03's since Ford announced they will no longer have 2 door regular cab F150's...they will have 2 full door's and 2 mini one's, they said this would also hike up the price some.
Well, that's not cool. I hate those mini doors on the new Rams

Old 11-26-2002, 12:38 PM
Onoid is correct.....

Old 11-26-2002, 10:11 PM
the ram is slow, i have seen the truck in person, the times are going to be around 5.8-6.0 from what the dodge guys have told my in 0-60 and thats a V-10 charged MANUAL!!!! Gotta love the L's if I got one it would be an L but inchurance is 2 much for 16 year olds on L's thats why I have the supercab!!!1

Old 11-28-2002, 06:52 PM
forget the V10

drop in the Aston Martin 6.0 V12 and twin supercharge it

or even better... put in 2 4.0 LS V8's back to back...

an 8.0 V16

of course, you would probably have to upgrade to a SUperDuty to do this...

Old 12-06-2002, 03:49 PM
Get your info correct

Originally posted by sdf150guy
the ram is slow, i have seen the truck in person, the times are going to be around 5.8-6.0 from what the dodge guys have told my in 0-60 and thats a V-10 charged MANUAL!!!! Gotta love the L's if I got one it would be an L but inchurance is 2 much for 16 year olds on L's thats why I have the supercab!!!1
First of all I had to laugh with the quote. Dude...it is not necessary to pass any false information. It is Ok for the Lightning truck to be slower. It will only create a atmosphere of 'WHO IS THE BETTER TRUCK" among the manufactures.

The V-10 Viper motor is already a proven engine and now a 8.3ltr. Soon it will be refresh again with the next refresh 8.7ltr hemi version to stay up with the competition. But, getting back to the comment, the times you listed are not even close.

As with the SRT-4 Neon, the car was passed around to five (+) auto magazine for third party testing and the numbers already have been proven with the lowest recorded time of 0-60MPH in 5.4 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 14.0 seconds (Dec 2002 Automobile). Not to forget the dyno run with Sport Compact: 223FWHP. Hmm! Did I say that. Stock from the factory.

However, with the SRT-10 Ram, it will be a 1-second slower due to the weight factor over the 03 SRT-10 Viper.

After the Detroit auto showing, the truck will be release to different car & truck mags for test purposes. Then in the spring, the dealership will be able to purchase the vehicle for the retailmarket. The price? Under 50K.

The real threat for any L stock owner is the upcoming R/C 1500 Hemi motor that produces a 345HP (323RWHP) and still detuned. Adding the latest upcoming hemi Kenne Bell intercooled blower that was shown at SEMA in November, the current L could not even match it under 8PSI boost.

This is not to flame any L owner but to tell Ford SVT PM (Product Manager), to get your head out of your rear. Not even the next L can produce a 500 plus HP from the current 5.4 motor. Try it and see what happens.

Since I know the senior engineer for the L Program (Roush Performance) has the contract for the engineering work, the possibilites are blowzilla or a 4-screw blower. Non of these will produce any factory back warranties due to the extreme high pressures and short drivetrain life.

What the L program needs is a new engine and a lighter frame. Sad to note that the latest 1500 Quad is the same wieght as the current L.

Anyway, not ramble, in the spring, take a spin and see the results as with the latest hemi 5.7, the most power engine for the punch.

Now to get the Ford guys back on par. Maybe within two years.

Last edited by HEMIRAM; 12-06-2002 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Haggard
Well, that's not cool. I hate those mini doors on the new Rams
No longer available on the 03 Rams or 05 Dakotas.

Dodge has switch to R/C and quad configuration only.

Old 12-06-2002, 11:04 PM
Re: Get your info correct

Originally posted by HEMIRAM
First of all I had to laugh with the quote. Dude...it is not necessary to pass any false information. It is Ok for the Lightning truck to be slower. It will only create a atmosphere of 'WHO IS THE BETTER TRUCK" among the manufactures.

The V-10 Viper motor is already a proven engine and now a 8.3ltr. Soon it will be refresh again with the next refresh 8.7ltr hemi version to stay up with the competition. But, getting back to the comment, the times you listed are not even close.

As with the SRT-4 Neon, the car was passed around to five (+) auto magazine for third party testing and the numbers already have been proven with the lowest recorded time of 0-60MPH in 5.4 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 14.0 seconds (Dec 2002 Automobile). Not to forget the dyno run with Sport Compact: 223FWHP. Hmm! Did I say that. Stock from the factory.

However, with the SRT-10 Ram, it will be a 1-second slower due to the weight factor over the 03 SRT-10 Viper.

After the Detroit auto showing, the truck will be release to different car & truck mags for test purposes. Then in the spring, the dealership will be able to purchase the vehicle for the retailmarket. The price? Under 50K.

The real threat for any L stock owner is the upcoming R/C 1500 Hemi motor that produces a 345HP (323RWHP) and still detuned. Adding the latest upcoming hemi Kenne Bell intercooled blower that was shown at SEMA in November, the current L could not even match it under 8PSI boost.

This is not to flame any L owner but to tell Ford SVT PM (Product Manager), to get your head out of your rear. Not even the next L can produce a 500 plus HP from the current 5.4 motor. Try it and see what happens.

Since I know the senior engineer for the L Program (Roush Performance) has the contract for the engineering work, the possibilites are blowzilla or a 4-screw blower. Non of these will produce any factory back warranties due to the extreme high pressures and short drivetrain life.

What the L program needs is a new engine and a lighter frame. Sad to note that the latest 1500 Quad is the same wieght as the current L.

Anyway, not ramble, in the spring, take a spin and see the results as with the latest hemi 5.7, the most power engine for the punch.

Now to get the Ford guys back on par. Maybe within two years.
I suggest you get out from behind your keyboard and go to the track, many are pushing over 500hp at the flywheel with the current 5.4 without the 3 valve heads and new blower. And if the SRT is 1 second slower in the 1/4 than the current Viper most Ls have nothing to fear. L has been on top for 5 years now, the competition hasn't produced anything comparable and now Mopar finally produces some competition and it costs 15K more Wow, that's the best they could do?

Old 12-06-2002, 11:13 PM
Gosh-Gee-*****'s guys, I'm tired just readin' all that crap.
I'm going home now. see you all on the flip side.

Old 12-07-2002, 01:37 AM
I'm with GalaxyEng, look at the track times and HP numbers a lot of the L owners currently have. Better yet, look at the power numbers on the 2003 Cobra which only has a 4.6L V8. Doesn't the new "Gt"-40 come with a 500 HP 5.4L V8, and HEMIRAM you say it is not possible for the 5.4 to put up those numbers.

Old 12-07-2002, 09:24 AM
Hemiram,

Not to start a flame or anything, but you quote the new R/C 1500 hemi motor as producing 345 HP, and 323 RWHP...that is only a 22 HP loss through the drivetrain. Not to say that isn't possible, but it seems pretty optimistic to me. I actually like the new look of the Rams, but I just wanted to keep everything on a level playing field. As far as engine size is concerned, I don't think the average buyer really undertands the relationship between displacement and HP. Just look at chevy's 5.3L. It outprerforms the F150 in power, yet the F150 can (in my opinion) tow much easier. This is due to the maker's effeciency of the engine, and also if they have the engine set up for Hp or torque. Also you state that those numbers are with the engine "detuned"... I have heard many times that this engine really only runs well on 89+ octane, or pinging results. So I am not sure how this can be considered "detuned?" I really pat dodge on the back for stepping up the HP of their engine, because it will cause everyone else to join the game, which, in turn, gets the consumers (us) more HP in our trucks. Just a few comments...

Chris

Last edited by FordMX; 12-07-2002 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:58 AM
the Hemi with 345 HP?

we all know that "rated" HP in advertising literature means nothing.

Case in point... a 200HP 4.2 vs the 200 HP in the Windstar. Hmmm...

we have to look at rear wheel HP. Im pretty damn sure that a 22 HP loss is crap. Dodges have a lot of drive train HP loss, as do Chevs.

And lets not forget where that 345 is peaking.

Is it 345 at 6000 rpm? Well what is the HP at 1500 or 2000 rpm? Is that too 345? I think not. Probably a fraction of that.

As far as being detuned?
Define Detuned? As in no aftermarket parts? Yes. Normally aspirated? Yes. But to get 345 from a 5.7 when for years Ford and Chev had 200 HP from a 5.7/5.8 (before Vortecs)

I'm sorry if I dont beleive that Dodge engineers havent pushed that motor to its limits to get 345.

Old 12-07-2002, 12:23 PM
LOL

Like the rice club more hipe and crap than I thought. I love the Honda owners who talk the same until I show up in my little Swift GT and just blow them away with weight and power.

If ..I mean if a 5.4 could push a 500HP, how long do you think it going to be when the gasket are spewing oil residue?

Talk about track, hmm...Carlsbad Dragstrip....not one L is over 450HP. This is accounting using a 50HP NOS shot. If it was then the time would be in the low 12s.

Since you like to talk crap, we will see the new SRT-8 womp any L on any street. Stock for stock....but then we can even the odds with a blower for blower and run the same amount PSI and still come out losing. Oh! Before you decide to push 500 plus, remove the wimpy drivetrain. I hate to go back and try to pick pieces of metal.

Drivetrain loss? Man..son, how old are you? Or you just read too many Ford magazine hipe. Maybe a Ford losses are greater than 20 percent plus from your drivetrain (though I say much for my Mustang losses that had to be redesign), but take a walk to the local dealership and look underneath or its just bothers you because you really have an arcatic design. The real numbers are never posted and you wil never know unless you do it yourself.

Let face it, it is over. As the SVT in Chicago quote while looking over the PVO SRT-10, "...we are in trouble..." Now on to the SRT-8 Hemi Ram in the 03.

Maybe someone in SVT can move to another motor and build it the right way with real power not lawn mower engines. Oh! They should add the 6-speed T56 tranny not the wimpy four-speed automatic.

Old 12-07-2002, 12:34 PM
Spend more time researching than listening to HIPE!

Originally posted by J-150
the Hemi with 345 HP?

we all know that "rated" HP in advertising literature means nothing.

Case in point... a 200HP 4.2 vs the 200 HP in the Windstar. Hmmm...

'm sorry if I dont beleive that Dodge engineers havent pushed that motor to its limits to get 345.
Maybe you need to spend more time reading the latest November 2002 isue of Hot Rod magazine and stop reading the forums hipe.

200HP 4.2? Or are you saying 2.4? If you getting only 200HP from a 4.2 than you have some serious problems.

Case in point, the motor is not push to the limit. Man! Even I know the limitations of the L and it is close to the wall now than ever and by adding any more would not meet future factory warranty.

Detuned? Try out the 5.7 has only a small 68MM TB unit and same manifold from a 4.7ltr little brother motor. The exhaust is seriously detuned by design with the exception of the exhaust manifolds. It does run on 87 octane where the L is required to run on 91 octane or better.

The rear end is nothing more than a Viper designed half-shafts that made of aluminum vice your heavy steel long shafts. Running in either a HD 5-speed or HD 5-speed auto. Not to forget a real rearend, a Detroit locker with HD 4.10:1 gearing. What does this mean....a whole lot more power can be added.

On the rHP rating from the factory: in the last couple of years, I could say it may of been the Cobra issue that has other auto manufacture on the edge of changing the rating of what is and what is advertized as worse case. A good point is the Neon SRT-4 and the SRT-10 Viper. Both vehicles are rated within less than 10 percent.

Almost forgot, when you get a chance to read the article, look at the torque curve and the HP curve. You will noticed a flat curve on both not a quick peak and it is all over.

Last edited by HEMIRAM; 12-07-2002 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by jwrape
Gosh-Gee-*****'s guys, I'm tired just readin' all that crap.
I'm going home now. see you all on the flip side.
Bahahahahhahahaha. Nothing is more laughable is oversize rims on a vehicle with a PONY motor. If you knew how much HP is lost on oversize rims and rotation mass. Even my Mustang has only 18-inch and smaller than stock or weighless than the Ford.

We get this all the time in Southern California. I had to laugh when I see vehicles like this. Even with the 24-inch wheels on the SRT-10 Ram it was a complete joke. Maybe that is why it was removed for production.

Unless you are running the latest from Centerline, I can only see at least a 2-7 percent HP lost on the dyno.

Old 12-07-2002, 12:46 PM
Re: Re: Get your info correct

Originally posted by GalaxyEng
I suggest you get out from behind your keyboard and go to the track, many are pushing over 500hp at the flywheel with the current 5.4 without the 3 valve heads and new blower. And if the SRT is 1 second slower in the 1/4 than the current Viper most Ls have nothing to fear. L has been on top for 5 years now, the competition hasn't produced anything comparable and now Mopar finally produces some competition and it costs 15K more Wow, that's the best they could do?
2001 Z06 Torch Red/Z06 black: talk about a car that has no top end. Even the Neon has a better top end than the Z06 vette. Man that is completely sad. Maybe that is why Chebby had to change the gearing to Lose top end in order to compete against the Viper. Viper has only a 3.08:1 gearing

Sorry, maybe this is why there is no Z06 in my driveway. No good for any track since it has no top end.

Quick Reply: 04' Lightning???