2004 - 2008 F-150

07 4.6 high coolant / trans temps

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 4.6 high coolant / trans temps

So got an. 07 4.6 that is having "cooling issues" . Fan is kicking in constantly and performance lacks as a result. Not sure if it's actually limp mode. Torque Pro is saying 220F at times no less than 215. At 215 in toeque temp gun shows top hose 155F, lower hose 135F, radiator top & stat housing 160F. Torque is also saying trans temp is 220s also.

From what I understand the coolant temp is interpreted by the CHT (cylinder head temperature) sensor under the intake.

Now I have a plugged heater core but don't think the radiator is plugged based on hose temps, etc.

Could it actually be the CHT that's bad or do I have something else going on here I need to check? Had a dye test done and no CO2 in the coolant and no leaks. I'm really stumped here!

Oh and water pump, pulleys, fan clutch, tstat (180 deg) are all new. No air in the system either. COPS and plugs were just changed also. Engine has 111k on it.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:06 PM
So seeing how 80+ folks have looked but not said anything let me provide some info that may help someone down the road!

I believe 95% I have found the problem.

After speaking to one of my neighbors who is an old time ford mechanic (who knew, just moved here!) he gave me some insight that led me down the rabbit hole.

When I mentioned one head was hotter than the other he said "you got a leak". When he elaborated he said it's whats possibly causing my "Bank 01/02 Lean" codes. Said that, if I have a bad intake gasket or crack, air will get in and lean it out. When it gets lean it gets HOT fast. He also said "plastic don't move in the same direction every time it gets hot, it's a gremlin". LOL. The 'ol boy was onto something there!

So I searched knowing that and came across several folks on other forums "F150 & Chevy" talking about that SAME scenario.

So it looks like I may have either a warped or cracked intake like so many other Explorer owners.

It completely explains the temps, codes, coolant & gas smell from time to time and why everything has been so erratic!

So now it's time to hunt down the last model of the Ford OEM intake 9L3Z-9424-G.

Just for good measure I'm swapping the CHT (cylinder head temp sensor) & thermostat while I'm there along with the heater control valve.

Wish me luck folks! I'll post pics & updates when I find something or finish!!

Old 04-13-2021, 11:38 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Not cheap!

https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/For...9L3Z9424G.html

That's an Explorer manifold, not F150.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Not cheap!

https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/For...9L3Z9424G.html

That's an Explorer manifold, not F150.
Ive found them for $250 from some local dealers. The Dorman intakes while "ok" have their own issues. And yes it's on an explorer. I also have an 08 F150 with the same 4.6 & an 08 F150 Screw 40TH Anniversary.

The 4.6 is identical except for intake. Pretty much Ford put the same motors in everything, just different intake & exhaust for the most part.

Motor questions & research are universal. Knowledge is knowledge. Not everyone drives the same car but most have the same parts! 😉

Quick Reply: 07 4.6 high coolant / trans temps