2004 - 2008 F-150

Runs rough after about 20 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 01:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runs rough after about 20 minutes

Hi, after running for about 20 minutes or so the engine starts to run really rough, At times I can turn it off, restart it and it runs fine.

I replaced the phasers, both vct's and all the coils about a year ago.

I just finished installing a new piston and rings, tensioner gaskets, all new connecting rod bearings, replaced the left head, new head gaskets and bolts, replaced the right exhaust manifold, intake and the imrc.

I have also replaced the oil pump with a Melling mh340hv.

I am at a loss as to what may be causing the rough running. Can anybody make any sense of what might be causing it from looking at the information below?

I am also getting an error from my oil temperature monitoring sensor, This is caused by the connector coming unplugged, but I was also wondering if this could cause any other issues other than the cel coming on?

This is what I get from Forscan after changing the oil pump.

Last edited by explorerrob; 07-24-2020 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would have to ask immediately -- WHAT BRAND PHASERs did you use when you 'replaced them' about a year ago.

REASON: At least ONE is clearly not functioning properly. Your rough idle is developing because both cams are NOT staying at base timing (zero retard) position after it warms up. The retarded one seriously degrades compression, and thus weak power balance on that bank.

I hate scanners that report "ADVANCE" when there is NO such thing on a 5.4L 3v. At 'base' timing there is NO retard, and NO advance. The veriable timing system is ONLY able to implement 'Retard' ---- so what does VCTADV 38.38º "Variable cam timing actual advance" mean? It is JUST STUPID on the part of the scanner.

HOWEVER. I can tell you that VCTADV and VCTADV2 should be the SAME --- When the PCM is applying 0.00% duty cycle to both VCTDC and VCTDC2 (both VCT Solenoids should be closed - thus routing 100% available oil flow/pressure into advance chambers of the Phasers).

I would swap VCT solenoids and see if scanner reports different reaings, or replace phasers with GOOD OEM ones, or you possibly have a bank that develops sever rotational drag after warming up that the phaser cannot maintain at base timing.

Last edited by F150Torqued; 07-27-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by F150Torqued
I would have to ask immediately -- WHAT BRAND PHASERs did you use when you 'replaced them' about a year ago.

REASON: At least ONE is clearly not functioning properly. Your rough idle is developing because both cams are NOT staying at base timing (zero retard) position after it warms up. The retarded one seriously degrades compression, and thus weak power balance on that bank.

I hate scanners that report "ADVANCE" when there is NO such thing on a 5.4L 3v. At 'base' timing there is NO retard, and NO advance. The veriable timing system is ONLY able to implement 'Retard' ---- so what does VCTADV 38.38º "Variable cam timing actual advance" mean? It is JUST STUPID on the part of the scanner.

HOWEVER. I can tell you that VCTADV and VCTADV2 should be the SAME --- When the PCM is applying 0.00% duty cycle to both VCTDC and VCTDC2 (both VCT Solenoids should be closed - thus routing 100% available oil flow/pressure into advance chambers of the Phasers).

I would swap VCT solenoids and see if scanner reports different reaings, or replace phasers with GOOD OEM ones, or you possibly have a bank that develops sever rotational drag after warming up that the phaser cannot maintain at base timing.

Thanks for the reply. I do not recall offhand what brand the phasers were. I just know they were not OEM due to a very tight budget. I have run the truck with the vct's disconnected and have the same issue. One thing I am wondering about is both of my timing chain measure in at 23 7/8, and when I look online I see that new they are 23 5/8. Would this quarter inch make a difference when it warms up?

Old 07-27-2020, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by explorerrob
One thing I am wondering about is both of my timing chain measure in at 23 7/8, and when I look online I see that new they are 23 5/8. Would this quarter inch make a difference when it warms up?
THAT - and a thousand other things, I don't know anything about. I do know that there are MANY MANY stories indicating Cheap / NON OEM phasers either do not work properly both immediately and/or fail shortly. They are not so complicated, but internally have some special characteristics that apparently important to proper operation -with all other characteristics of the motor.

As to chain length, if the 23 7/8 is length of yours (at this point) - an new ones are 23 5/8... The important part is can the tensioner - fully extended - remove all slack from the chain. Chains of the 5.4l have 122 links. Just two thousandths (0.002) ware in each link multiplied by 122 links would be a quarter inch. If " I " had one apart, it would not go back together without new chains, no matter what their measurement. (Just sayin)

Old 07-27-2020, 10:59 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I would finish the job the right way. I would replace the phasers, chains, tensioners, and guides with new OEM parts.

Old 09-19-2020, 01:43 AM
Thanks but as stated earlier, tight budget. Cannot afford all OEM equipment.

Was able to get my hands on a Ford Phaser, tried it, tried one from side that was still staying at approx 0 degrees at idle and once it warmed up exactly the same issue. I have pretty much ruled out cam phasers, I have swapped them out so often now I can do a side in about 2 hours or less. I have installed 2 new VCT solenoids, swapped cam position sensors side to side and am still having the rough running issue.

One thing I noticed is that when it is running rough I am able to unplug all 4 coils on bank 2 and there is no change in the running of the truck.

Is it possible that it may be electrical or possibly something with the pcm?

Old 09-21-2020, 10:29 PM
Electrical issues don't cause VCTERR. Hydraulic issues can. There are numerous things in the head / oil galleys / cam bearings / lash adjusters / vct solenoid housing/ cam chain tensioner, phaser internals --- OR excessive camshaft rotational DRAG --- that can effect or limit the phasers ability to hydraulically position the cam phaser.

Trending Topics

Old 09-29-2020, 12:07 AM
Thanks F150Torqued. I think you hit the nail on the head. I pulled the cam off on the side that is giving me the issues and the journals and races are grooved like a record. I am willing to bet that is my issue. Time to see if I can find a good used head.

Quick Reply: Runs rough after about 20 minutes